TEAM SHELBY FORUM

OIL CATCH CAN IS INSTALLED FINALLY

If it ever stops raining here in Florida I will snap a pic and post it. My catch can is the one I had in my Vette. Nice unit. If there were ever non believers on these, let me tell you after a year in the Vette when I took it out there was at least 2 shot glasses worth of oil in there that would have over time eneded up throughout the intake to the engine as a fine mist from the PCV system. The S/C cars and modded HP cars especially should have one. Anyway I was surprised to see that much oil. I drained it off a year ago and not much, but was only there 3 months at that time. I just can't imagine the film that would accumulate over time on my S/C inter-cooler and would impact that efficiency among other things. :shift:

I already had mine from my Vette so no added cost to me, but I will know for sure in 3-6 months if it is needed or not in the S/C Mustang version. I would not rule it out as of now because I have no proven data and many S/C cars run them so there must be a reason. I'd rather be safe than figure out I now have a film on my internals. The PVC does in fact vent oil vapor (mist if you will) so it's going somewhere over time and that's in the intake and beyond.

Not needed on the Mustang cars. The LS-1 and to a lesser extent so did the LS-2 GM engine had a design flaw.

For additional reading do a search on "catch can", use the quote marks too. You'll find a variety of topics for catch cans and oil separators that also include installations, pictures, tests and recommendations.

I have not decided yet. I was surprised to see the oil in there when I pulled the supercharger. The supercharger is at Whipple right now and I will hopefully get it back in a couple weeks. My 'vert has out of commission since May 2nd :cry: Actually, I might buy the Norris one in your link. I am familiar with those from my Corvette days. UPR and Steeda also have catch cans.

Mine that was in my Vette and now in the SGT is the same as the link below pic. Elite Eng has them in colors and mine also came from Mike Norris when my Vette was modded in Pompano Florida. Bottom line is they are worth it especially if you have a S/C intercooled unit installed. :happy feet:

BIG thread here about em. A lot of people are using and loving them.

http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/showthread...t=oil+catch+can

To make a long story short, there is a mystery knock that sounds a lot like a detonation knock (but is not) only under boost between 2,000 - 2,500 rpm. After several trips to the installer and a lot of e-mails back and forth with FRPP and Whipple, they asked to send it in. Unfortunately, Whipple tore it down and did not see anything. They were going to install and run it on test equipment next, but I have not heard the results of that test yet. :banghead::banghead:

There is one 5/8" hose on the driver side that goes from the PCV valve to the intake inlet. Remove that hose and store it for if ever wanting to install again.

You need a 5/8" - 3/8" hose adapter to install at the PCV 5/8" and now run the 3/8" hose to the catch can top fitting.

Now attach the 3/8" at the lower fitting the catch can outlet and run to the intake inlet. There you will need the next 5/8" - 3/8" hose adapter.

You are done and oil will be in the can vice the intake etc. No vacuum leak, no cutting of original hoses. Takes an hour and 2 beers to install. Took me that long because of deciding where I wanted the can and where it will fit on the driver side where the PCV is and having the S/C stuff in there.

OK, but what do the lines connect? How is it installed? Do any lines require cutting? Does this have any effect on any vacaum?

Tell us about the installation and hopefully photos.

I'll definitely post photos of the install asap.

I'll wait for your product review and pics... Then I'll most likely get one too. :doh:

You know you will, so you may as well get it on order now! :hysterical:

We all have wants. desires and needs, not totally sure which one this falls into but it did make it's way into my engine bay...

Take Care

Andrew

Where did you get that?? I looked everywhere for a Moroso one (since all my other stuff is Moroso), but I couldn't find one.

Ken

Um... :headscratch: I'm confused. Won't the oil just drain down into the hose exiting on the bottom of the can? It looks upside down. But then the blue thing would be what a vent? I remember Justing saying that a vent would cause un-metered air in the system. I've got 2 other moroso tanks so it would be nice to figure this out.

Um... :headscratch: I'm confused. Won't the oil just drain down into the hose exiting on the bottom of the can? It looks upside down. But then the blue thing would be what a vent? I remember Justing saying that a vent would cause un-metered air in the system. I've got 2 other moroso tanks so it would be nice to figure this out.

I'd have to see inside the can to see where the 'catch' is, but I assume Moroso would have figured it out before selling them.

You're right though, this is the only design I've seen with the outlet on the bottom of the can instead of opposite of the inlet at the very top.

Ken

Why would you want one that is not see through? The one that came with my KB is reasonably small and the bowl is clear plastic. I emptied it today and it takes no time at all. I figure if KB includes it in their package (mine was installed at SAI), there is a reason for it.

Jim

Archived