TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Widening the Alcoas

So, it seems like the 11 inchers from Shelby are not going to come to reality. I thought I would start a new thread about widening the alcoas. It has been brought up before, but I have seen no definitive answer. I have heard that someone has done this, but I have not seen that thread. If this discussion is out there, please post it in this topic.

Otherwise, if anyone can break it down barney-style on whether you can or can't do this, please post.

thanks,

ck

So, it seems like the 11 inchers from Shelby are not going to come to reality. I thought I would start a new thread about widening the alcoas. It has been brought up before, but I have seen no definitive answer. I have heard that someone has done this, but I have not seen that thread. If this discussion is out there, please post it in this topic.

Otherwise, if anyone can break it down barney-style on whether you can or can't do this, please post.

thanks,

ck

I have a pair of 18x9.5 2000 Cobra R wheels that I want to have widened to 10.5 for the rear of my 2000R. I have been quoted $225 per wheel for these 18's, plus an extra $100 per wheel if I want the welded area ground smooth so I can "somewhat" hide the weld area. Then there would be the shipping of approx. $30 + or - per wheel each way.

Here is their link.............

http://www.weldcraftwheels.com/

Are you going to be mounting a larger tire than a 305 on the 11" rim?

R

I have a pair of 18x9.5 2000 Cobra R wheels that I want to have widened to 10.5 for the rear of my 2000R. I have been quoted $225 per wheel for these 18's, plus an extra $100 per wheel if I want the welded area ground smooth so I can "somewhat" hide the weld area. Then there would be the shipping of approx. $30 + or - per wheel each way.

Here is their link.............

http://www.weldcraftwheels.com/

Are you going to be mounting a larger tire than a 305 on the 11" rim?

R

10.5 or 11 makes no difference to me. I am just looking to put on 305s. If you can widen the alcoas, then it seems it would be cheaper to buy two new ones, get them widen and be done with it vice get a new axle.

ck

10.5 or 11 makes no difference to me. I am just looking to put on 305s. If you can widen the alcoas, then it seems it would be cheaper to buy two new ones, get them widen and be done with it vice get a new axle.

ck

To me it looks like the 305, at least in the P Zero, fits great on the 10" wheel as shown below. There is a normal sidewall bulge, which is acceptible, and it definitely does not look as if this 305 is "over sized" for the 10" rim. I am concerned that a 305 "could" get a flat, or even a negative sidewall profile with a rim that is much wider. Then the tire would look too small for the rim.<<<This would be for the P Zero tire specifically, it may be different depending upon the tire brand since the tread measuring area varies from brand to brand.

To me, the Super Snake identifier(s) on the rim's edge are important and I would like to do what is needed to keep these unique Super Snake wheels on the car vs. the replacements that do not say "Super Snake".

But yes, it will cost me additional $$$ to keep this correct original Super Snake look, and also have more meat on the rear..................

index.jpg

R

ck

CK - Another couple of thoughts that I have, as it relates to this 305 tire install on the Super Snake..............

If you are buying an extra pair of non-Super Snake i.d.'ed wheels in 10", they are going to be $500+ each? plus shipping for a total of........maybe.........$1100 or so. Then you ship these wheels to Weldcraft wheels, or whoever else widens wheels and pay probably closer to the $250-$300 price range to have each 20" wheel widened.............The total cost could easily be $650 to $750 including the "to and from" shipping for each wheel.

Now if those $$$ are compared with the purchase of a replacement axle assy. (shortened by 1" total) and the use of your original 10" Super Snake wheels, the price difference is very little, well not "little", but only $200 or so. <<<And in this case, you keep your original 10" Super Snake wheels on the car, which are shown to fit the 305 P Zero's properly, and gain a complete rear axle assy. that fits well with the offset of the original 10" Super Snake wheels and 305's.

Either way, 305's are going to have to be purchased seperately. I have not even added their cost into this.

R

R,

I guess because of the backspacing even if you widen them, it does not solve the problem of bulging out of the fender. The one thing that drives me away from shortening the axle is I am thinking doing the Griggs setup. I have been told different things about whether that system will still work if you shorten the axles.

ck

CK - Another couple of thoughts that I have, as it relates to this 305 tire install on the Super Snake..............

If you are buying an extra pair of non-Super Snake i.d.'ed wheels in 10", they are going to be $500+ each? plus shipping for a total of........maybe.........$1100 or so. Then you ship these wheels to Weldcraft wheels, or whoever else widens wheels and pay probably closer to the $250-$300 price range to have each 20" wheel widened.............The total cost could easily be $650 to $750 including the "to and from" shipping for each wheel.

Now if those $$$ are compared with the purchase of a replacement axle assy. (shortened by 1" total) and the use of your original 10" Super Snake wheels, the price difference is very little, well not "little", but only $200 or so. <<<And in this case, you keep your original 10" Super Snake wheels on the car, which are shown to fit the 305 P Zero's properly, and gain a complete rear axle assy. that fits well with the offset of the original 10" Super Snake wheels and 305's.

Either way, 305's are going to have to be purchased seperately. I have not even added their cost into this.

R

R,

I guess because of the backspacing even if you widen them, it does not solve the problem of bulging out of the fender. The one thing that drives me away from shortening the axle is I am thinking doing the Griggs setup. I have been told different things about whether that system will still work if you shorten the axles.

ck

That is ture also, the outer portion of the tire/wheel will still be where it was in the beginning. The widening of the wheel will allow you to add extra rubber toward the inside, but the outside will be unchanged without a different offset, or shortened axle.

Have you talked to Van about the Griggs? He is a wealth of info. and has access to many "Griggs install photo's".

R

R,

ck

try calling Griggs

• 7 months later...

To me it looks like the 305, at least in the P Zero, fits great on the 10" wheel as shown below. There is a normal sidewall bulge, which is acceptible, and it definitely does not look as if this 305 is "over sized" for the 10" rim. I am concerned that a 305 "could" get a flat, or even a negative sidewall profile with a rim that is much wider. Then the tire would look too small for the rim.<<<This would be for the P Zero tire specifically, it may be different depending upon the tire brand since the tread measuring area varies from brand to brand.

To me, the Super Snake identifier(s) on the rim's edge are important and I would like to do what is needed to keep these unique Super Snake wheels on the car vs. the replacements that do not say "Super Snake".

But yes, it will cost me additional $$$ to keep this correct original Super Snake look, and also have more meat on the rear..................

index.jpg

R

so, u just popped on the 305's and it doesn't rub anywhere and you didnt change anything else, what 305s ? 30 35 40?

so, u just popped on the 305's and it doesn't rub anywhere and you didnt change anything else, what 305s ? 30 35 40?

Yes, as mentioned above, this axle has been shortened on each end by 1/2". The car has also been lowered by 1/2" (Shelby/Eibach suspension) after the shorter axle was installed.

I have seen the 305's in 25, 30 and 35, but not 40.

R

there is a brave man here from texas (lee) he sent his ss rears to weld craft and had his wheels widen to 12in and put a 335 wheel on the car. it looks awesome and he said the tracvtion is great. he had to remove a piece of the bumpstop and get rid of the rear ducts, but he is very pleased on how they cam out.

I have a regular gt500 and looking to buy the alcoas and I plan to have them widen an inch making them 20x11 and plan to use a 305 nitto drag radial tire the 555d/r

here is the link

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/44750-larger-tires/page__st__40

there is a brave man here from texas (lee) he sent his ss rears to weld craft and had his wheels widen to 12in and put a 335 wheel on the car. it looks awesome and he said the tracvtion is great. he had to remove a piece of the bumpstop and get rid of the rear ducts, but he is very pleased on how they cam out.

I have a regular gt500 and looking to buy the alcoas and I plan to have them widen an inch making them 20x11 and plan to use a 305 nitto drag radial tire the 555d/r

here is the link

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/44750-larger-tires/page__st__40

Sure, but look good, they stick out a half inch from the fender line, as mentioned dozens of times, the Alcoa offset is wrong to start with and you can't correct it unless you shorten the rear end.

Sure, but look good, they stick out a half inch from the fender line, as mentioned dozens of times, the Alcoa offset is wrong to start with and you can't correct it unless you shorten the rear end.

if you look at his pics they dont stick out as far as you think, it may be an 1/8 of an inch or less. he adds the 2 in to the back of the tire so putting the 335 on it evens out the bulge making it the same as a regular 10in wheel with 275s on it...and if you notice he doesnt have to raise his coilover unlike the guy who just put on 305 to a 10in wheel

if you go to the link i posted and check out post number 32...shows the pics of his wheels and how far they stick out...very minimal

if you look at his pics they dont stick out as far as you think, it may be an 1/8 of an inch or less. he adds the 2 in to the back of the tire so putting the 335 on it evens out the bulge making it the same as a regular 10in wheel with 275s on it...and if you notice he doesnt have to raise his coilover unlike the guy who just put on 305 to a 10in wheel

if you go to the link i posted and check out post number 32...shows the pics of his wheels and how far they stick out...very minimal

Sorry but you're wrong, way more than you think. I would bet $$ if you drop a string and a weight it's more to what I said but good luck, feel free and go ahead, we're just trying to help each other but keep a bodyshop guy on standby because you're rear seats are now useless and any big bump/jolt in the road and you'll need bodywork. You're also forgetting the guy that had to raise his has 305/35's which are taller than the 335/30's.

Good luck. Alcoa's.................nice but you screwed up Ford !!! Releasing the SS with 725hp and 275's..........haha

Sorry but you're wrong, way more than you think. I would bet $$ if you drop a string and a weight it's more to what I said but good luck, feel free and go ahead, we're just trying to help each other but keep a bodyshop guy on standby because you're rear seats are now useless and any big bump/jolt in the road and you'll need bodywork. You're also forgetting the guy that had to raise his has 305/35's which are taller than the 335/30's.

Good luck. Alcoa's.................nice but you screwed up Ford !!! Releasing the SS with 725hp and 275's..........haha

i agree with you... the 275 is a bad joke!

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on the "Novikov" modification from the thread listed above....

widen rims to 12", trim the bumpstop, and put 335's on her. Lee says this is working for him.

I am trying to understand what are your reservations about this mod?

seems to get some rubber under the rear without shortning the rear and with only minor bumpstop mod?

not being critical I just want to understand your point before i send my wheels off.

Ron

i agree with you... the 275 is a bad joke!

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on the "Novikov" modification from the thread listed above....

widen rims to 12", trim the bumpstop, and put 335's on her. Lee says this is working for him.

I am trying to understand what are your reservations about this mod?

seems to get some rubber under the rear without shortning the rear and with only minor bumpstop mod?

not being critical I just want to understand your point before i send my wheels off.

Ron

Ron, I'm just trying to help. I like the Alcoa's.......I really do but they screwed up, The offset is wrong so it is what it is........the other face will remain wrong as is, as widening adds to the inside. No issues with the 275 because it tapers in on the 10 wheel............and I do understand what others are saying tapering in a wider tire on a wider wheel..........regardless, using a drop string method, that outer edge of the wheel is still beyond the fender lip and def'ly more than 1/8th. To me, tire and wheel should tuck nicely inside but that's my opinion on how it should look right......and right means still being able to put two passengers in the rear or hitting a big rut in the road without worrying that the tire will hit the fender and do damage.

Again, trying to help, good luck............if I had the SS, I'd shorten the rear too a 1/2 inch per side

Sorry buddy he is not wrong I have dropped a string and I know how to use a tape measure! Its pretty simple math. You add 2" of wheel to the inside and 2" wider rubber. It all goes to the inside. Also I can cycle the suspension to full stuff without and contact. Absolutly zero rub! If we are all trying to help people here why are you challenging facts? The Alcoas are perfect for this mod! They give you more room than any other wheel. Look at the pics!! No one is selling anything here, just posting what works!

post-24857-126261337138_thumb.jpg

post-24857-126261341338_thumb.jpg

post-24857-126261342445_thumb.jpg

post-24857-126261337138_thumb.jpg

post-24857-126261341338_thumb.jpg

post-24857-126261342445_thumb.jpg

Here is a pic of a stock SS sidewall and 275's (stole it from another tire thread). Compared to mine with the 12" rim and 335's. To be exact my tires are 2.1/4 wider than stock. They stick out 1/8" more than my 275's did. Its a good mod if you are looking for more traction and like the "big tire" look from the back. From the side they look totally stock.

post-24857-126261577137_thumb.jpg

post-24857-126261580003_thumb.jpg

post-24857-126261577137_thumb.jpg

post-24857-126261580003_thumb.jpg

so you are saying that the stock wheel with the 275 tires on it are no good and if you put 2 people in the rear seat and bottom out, the fenders will get destroyed

I am unclear as well. I have bottomed my car out several times and cycled the suspension everywhich way I can. My 275's did not hit, my 315's do not hit and my 335's that are 28" tall do not hit. In stock 10" form I agree that the Alcoa has too much offset for a wide tire, but this thread is about widening the rim. I think the offset on the Alcoa is perfect for that. You can get more tire under the car with the Alcoa than any other rim and with very little work have no clearance issues what so ever.

Sorry buddy he is not wrong I have dropped a string and I know how to use a tape measure! Its pretty simple math. You add 2" of wheel to the inside and 2" wider rubber. It all goes to the inside. Also I can cycle the suspension to full stuff without and contact. Absolutly zero rub! If we are all trying to help people here why are you challenging facts? The Alcoas are perfect for this mod! They give you more room than any other wheel. Look at the pics!! No one is selling anything here, just posting what works!

Not looking for a pissing match but it's been posted an 1/8th by you and one other........a better tape measure is needed as you most recent photo proves it, I stand by what I said.....1/2 inch........and my buddy has Alcoa's on his 08

Like I said, meaty tire and looks thick. well done, over and out Drive safe. :shift:

Not looking for a pissing match but it's been posted an 1/8th by you and one other........a better tape measure is needed as you most recent photo proves it, I stand by what I said.....1/2 inch........and my buddy has Alcoa's on his 08

Like I said, meaty tire and looks thick. well done, over and out Drive safe. :shift:

So you are saying that the 2 people that have done this mod came up with the same measurement? Gee, maybe that means something?? I can not believe you are arguing with me about my own car! Thats cool that your buddy has alcoa's on his car, but are they streched to 12"? Are they even streched at all?? Thats the trick! Not sure what pictures you are looking at, but that IS 1/4" from a stock Super Snake sidewall.

If you do not believe the pictures, do the math! Its very simple! How can you argue that adding 2" to the inside of a rim and 2" more tire would move the sidewall out 1/2"? It makes no since! If I added 3" of rubber it would do that on each side, but not 2".

Don't really care if you believe me or not, but my sidewalls ARE 1/4" out from stock and NOTHING rubs! I have not had to do any body work after hitting bumps with people in the back seat either! If I need to, I can get sworn affidavits from non-affiliated 3rd parties.

Do your research, stock axle width they do not look like this.........this is the guy shortened 1/2 inch per side I'm certain.

research smesearch. you can't catch every detail in the world, i'm not rain man.

i've been reading every forum post for 2 years over the last 2 weeks.

i've spoken to 1/2 the shmoes in the country.

it aint easy. it's pretty complicated to max out rubber and wheels.

or idv solved it by now.

but thanks for advising me to do my research mom.

So you are saying that the 2 people that have done this mod came up with the same measurement? Gee, maybe that means something?? I can not believe you are arguing with me about my own car! Thats cool that your buddy has alcoa's on his car, but are they streched to 12"? Are they even streched at all?? Thats the trick! Not sure what pictures you are looking at, but that IS 1/4" from a stock Super Snake sidewall.

If you do not believe the pictures, do the math! Its very simple! How can you argue that adding 2" to the inside of a rim and 2" more tire would move the sidewall out 1/2"? It makes no since! If I added 3" of rubber it would do that on each side, but not 2".

Don't really care if you believe me or not, but my sidewalls ARE 1/4" out from stock and NOTHING rubs! I have not had to do any body work after hitting bumps with people in the back seat either! If I need to, I can get sworn affidavits from non-affiliated 3rd parties.

wsup Lee. i believe U.

post-26660-126305395272_thumb.jpg

post-26660-126305395272_thumb.jpg

research smesearch. you can't catch every detail in the world, i'm not rain man.

i've been reading every forum post for 2 years over the last 2 weeks.

i've spoken to 1/2 the shmoes in the country.

it aint easy. it's pretty complicated to max out rubber and wheels.

or idv solved it by now.

but thanks for advising me to do my research mom.

TOO funny!!! :hysterical2::lurk:

Archived