TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Paint Touch Up Technique

longebow

Hey Team Shelby members!

Quick question--does anyone know of a surefire way (or book/guide) of fixing small nicks and chips in the paint? My DD now has over 30,000 miles, and I washed this morning to find a couple of new chips. When I use the factory touch up paint "pen" it leaves a small "pimple" of paint.

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

longebow

Hey Team Shelby members!

Quick question--does anyone know of a surefire way (or book/guide) of fixing small nicks and chips in the paint? My DD now has over 30,000 miles, and I washed this morning to find a couple of new chips. When I use the factory touch up paint "pen" it leaves a small "pimple" of paint.

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

longebow

Lot's of patience, fortitude and endurance.

imo the pens are a joke....but...

i use paint from colorscratch.com. they VIN match your paint. You can get small kits with base coat, clear coat and buffing compound. It's a perfect match. The trick is applying in small thin layers, building it up even to the surface. Let it cure, then buff, then clear it. Blends right in...takes time, but worth it. I usually let each layer set for 20 mintues (outside temps depending)..

i use paint from colorscratch.com. they VIN match your paint. You can get small kits with base coat, clear coat and buffing compound. It's a perfect match. The trick is applying in small thin layers, building it up even to the surface. Let it cure, then buff, then clear it. Blends right in...takes time, but worth it. I usually let each layer set for 20 mintues (outside temps depending)..

Nice advice, I'm gonna give it a try.

Did you mean paintscratch.com?

Dont remember where I read this - but someplace I read a recomendation that to fill the small chips, take a match from a matchbook, snip it an an angle, and use the sharp tip to dab paint into the chipped area. You will want to do this a few times to build up the paint until its mostly even with the surface of the surrounding area.

Page

Take wax and grease remover and a tooth brush to clean out the scratch from any wax that may be in it.

Take the factory base coat paint and fill in the scratch. It does not have to be level with the rest of the clear coat.

lightly sand the area wet with 2500 grit paper to get off any excess touch up that may have gotten on the clear next to the scratch.

Next. take the catylized clear and fill in the scratch. Several coats may be necessary. you want it a little bit higher than the clear next to the scratch.

Cure 24 hours, lightly sand wet with 2500 grit until the clear that you put in the scratch is level with the clear next to the scratch. buff with medium cut compound and then a polish.

Solid colors work best as metallic colors are harder to match but that's about all you can do unless you repaint the entire panel.

Go to the local craft store and pick up a couple of fine artist brushes. Get a bottle of touch up paint from the dealer and thin it with laquer thinner. Touch-up is ALWAYS too thick. Fill in the nick one coat at a time until it is flush with the clear coat.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I had the 3M Clear Shield put on my GT-500's front end that goes back to the vents on the hood and it has saved me big time and not that expensive if you get it done away from the dealer. I also did put the clear cover lenses over both the regular and fog lights!! You have to look had to even notice it if it is done right. I previously had a 06-GT and had the chip issues that drove me nuts so with the Shelby I was taking no chances as it would have killed me to see chips on her!

I had the 3M Clear Shield put on my GT-500's front end that goes back to the vents on the hood and it has saved me big time and not that expensive if you get it done away from the dealer. I also did put the clear cover lenses over both the regular and fog lights!! You have to look had to even notice it if it is done right. I previously had a 06-GT and had the chip issues that drove me nuts so with the Shelby I was taking no chances as it would have killed me to see chips on her!

+1

got the clear bra on the front of my car and it is well worth the money

Archived