TEAM SHELBY FORUM

WTB: 5 speed transmission for my 66

My 4 speed toploader has been installed and it's become evident that it will NOT work with the custom built Hedman long tubes and Flaming River manual rack/pinion steering kit.

Both are interfering with the clutch linkage, making it impossible to use the mechanical setup. A cable clutch isn't offered for the old 4 speed, since the design is completely opposite (pull vs. push).

I don't want to hack something together as a short term fix. So I'm looking for a Tremec. Any leads here? New is fine, but used is better. Thanks for any help.

Ken

EDIT: What about a hydraulic clutch kit for my 4 speed? I've found a couple sites that mention that this is an option. That would be a lot cheaper than a $3k tranny swap.

• 2 months later...
My 4 speed toploader has been installed and it's become evident that it will NOT work with the custom built Hedman long tubes and Flaming River manual rack/pinion steering kit.

Both are interfering with the clutch linkage, making it impossible to use the mechanical setup. A cable clutch isn't offered for the old 4 speed, since the design is completely opposite (pull vs. push).

I don't want to hack something together as a short term fix. So I'm looking for a Tremec. Any leads here? New is fine, but used is better. Thanks for any help.

Ken

EDIT: What about a hydraulic clutch kit for my 4 speed? I've found a couple sites that mention that this is an option. That would be a lot cheaper than a $3k tranny swap.

Go with the Hydraulic clutch, simple install.

Archived