TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2007 GT500 Shelby (S197) or 2010 GT Premium Full Options?

Guys,

Any opinions if you had a choice...

Brand New 2007/08 OR maybe 09 GT500 Shelby (S197) or 2010 GT Premium Full Options?

The price difference is quite small.

I'm hoping also that I would be happy with the decision for many years as I plan to keep it and no plans of selling it but having a good resale value is good too =)

Will be paying in cash so dont know if that would help.

Thanks

That's not even close in my book. The 07/08 GT500 might have an inferior suspension set up, but that can be addressed via aftermarket if you really care, and the powerplant comparison isn't even in the same league. And the POTENTIAL of the GT500 powerplant is amazing. If you buy the GT, be happy with the 315hp unless you want to part with big bucks. Get the GT500 and if you desire now, or in the future, for anther grand or so you can up your 500hp to 600hp and really have a screamer.

**just make sure you get the clutch TSB completed before you buy if it's an 07 or early 08

Guys,

Brand New 2007/08 OR maybe 09 GT500 Shelby (S197) or 2010 GT Premium Full Options?

I'm hoping also that I would be happy with the decision for many years as I plan to keep it and no plans of selling it but having a good resale value is good too =)

Thanks

I don't see enough difference between the '07-'09 models to make a fuss about, but the 2010 even though there are some cosmetic issues I don't care for is a better car in my opinion.

If there isn't much price difference then the '07-09 models you're looking at are over priced I'd say. I just bought a 4000 mile '07 for 32K because in my opinion these are never going to be collector cars and I plan on putting some miles on it so why pay another 10k . but if I was going to buy new it would have been a 2010, thats my two bits anyway.

GT500 all the way! Especially when the cost of 07 - 09 GT500 compared to a regular 2010 GT Mustang is minimal.

If you like the look of the 2010 then bite the bullet and spend the extra for a GT500. But I would take a 07 GT500 over a regular 2010 GT Mustang any day!

Sorry I missed the question, I thought you were deciding which year of GT500 not between a Shelby GT or a GT500.

I agree the GT500 all the way, not only is it more fun but while it will go down in value it will always be a GT500. kind of like no matter how old it is a Stetson is still a Stetson.

Sorry I missed the question, I thought you were deciding which year of GT500 not between a Shelby GT or a GT500.

I agree the GT500 all the way, not only is it more fun but while it will go down in value it will always be a GT500. kind of like no matter how old it is a Stetson is still a Stetson.

Not a Shelby GT VS GT500. He is deciding between a GT500 and a REGULAR 2010 GT Mustang

I just made a similar choice, but my decision was based on building my dream car. My original plan was to get a regular GT and then add aftermarket kits, a blower and possibly a 6060 transmission and maybe even a crate engine. After I did the math, and looked on autotrader, it became clear that I was missing the obvious: get a GT500 and sort out the suspension. Roush has a "427" GT, but that is bhp, not cubic inches, like it used to mean. The GT500's 302 starts at 500bhp (about 440 rwhp) and you can get extra horses almost as easy as sneezing. I just ordered an ST kit from Griggs so the suspension will be sorted. Then I'm putting 305/35R18 R888 all around :-)

This issue you will have with a GT500 is the clutch problem. I bought mine used with the TSB done already, but its back in the shop already with leaks. All under warranty, but just be aware.

Now, if you are more interested in "streeting" it, then the regular GT might be what you want. None of the GT body kits fit the GT500 because the hood and nose are different. You even have less wheel choices with the GT500 because the front brakes are so big. So if you are into looks, not performance (hey, thats a valid choice), then go with the GT. We have an utterly awesome looking GT at the office, and she sounds way better than my GT500. Pics of the Bunkspeed mustang - some of those are renders using our software.

James

Guys,

Thanks

DUHHHHHH.......Let me see.....I'd pick the ......

I made this mistake the last time. I bought a brand new 2002 GT Vert, but should have bought a used '99 or '01 Cobra. I drove them back to back and the GT felt just as good, but brand new, so I went with it. I could not get past the fact that it wasn't an SVT Cobra the entire time I owned it. I should have been patient and found the right Cobra, but I got impatient and jumped on the new GT.

Oh well, maybe if I had the Cobra I wouldn't have been so motivated to get the GT500? Maybe that was the blessing in disguise?

Get the GT500 and never look back. It will be a significant car in the history of Stangs, and you will always get to look back some day and either say, "damn I love my Shelby", or say "remember when I had that Shelby". That is good stuff that can't really be beat in the car world!

The torque of the 5.4 is awesome. Not saying I would, but if I had it to do all over again I would take a hard look at a used 6 cyl mustang and building the entire car perhaps a twin turbo system? It would take a lot more work and time ( I have already had to extensively modify my rear suspension and gears to make mine handle the way it should have) Just a thought. You can get any thing you want after market for the S197. Just depends on how much you have to spend. I could build a heck of a car for a total of $30-35,000.

Archived