TEAM SHELBY FORUM

18" Temporary Tire for 2010

I was having the oil changed today in my SGT at the Ford dealer and I checked out a new 2010 GT. I looked in the trunk and it had an 18" temporary spare tire. does anyone know if this would fit my 2008 SGT? Thanks, Gary K.

My local dealer, just recieved a few 2010's. I am well connected with the owner. I will check asap, and measure the spacing. I don't believe per the 2010 specs that the bolt pattern changed from 2005/2010 8.8" rearends. I'll know tomorrow.

jeff

An 18 inch mini-spare from a 2005-2008 Mustang GT will work on the Shelby GT. The Shelby GT-H came with the mini-spare which was the stock Mustang GT wheel. If you have changed your brakes from stock then you may want to check for fitment. Also, you can usually find this spare on Ebay for around $50. I also purchased a Mustang GT jack for my Shelby GT

My local dealer, just recieved a few 2010's. I am well connected with the owner. I will check asap, and measure the spacing. I don't believe per the 2010 specs that the bolt pattern changed from 2005/2010 8.8" rearends. I'll know tomorrow.

jeff

Jeff,

Appriciate you looking into this for me. If the 18" temporary spare for the 2010 will fit my SGT I'm definitely going to buy one.

Gary

You may wish to review these threads:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22697

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35125

There are potentially Jack issues to consider as well.

The Shelby GT is identical to the Shelby GT-H regarding the front brakes and the lowered stance of the car. If you have a flat on the front you will be challenged to get any jack underneath the car including dealer or garage lifts. The Hertz cars all came with the stock Mustang GT spare wheel and it works fine, once you get the car lifted enough for the jack. The size of the spare tire/ rim is T-185 60 R17 and is labeled Maxxis. Any bigger and the spare would not fit in the trunk well. I've found that if you have a front flat tire, the best procedure is to jack the car at the rear jacking point, then place a jack stand near the middle of the car, remove the jack and it should then fit (barely) under the front jacking point. All a bit of a pain but it's better than using up the very expensive inflater, which in some cases, will not work well enough to get you to the next repair place. Hope this helps

The Shelby GT is identical to the Shelby GT-H regarding the front brakes and the lowered stance of the car. If you have a flat on the front you will be challenged to get any jack underneath the car including dealer or garage lifts. The Hertz cars all came with the stock Mustang GT spare wheel and it works fine, once you get the car lifted enough for the jack. The size of the spare tire/ rim is T-185 60 R17 and is labeled Maxxis. Any bigger and the spare would not fit in the trunk well. I've found that if you have a front flat tire, the best procedure is to jack the car at the rear jacking point, then place a jack stand near the middle of the car, remove the jack and it should then fit (barely) under the front jacking point. All a bit of a pain but it's better than using up the very expensive inflater, which in some cases, will not work well enough to get you to the next repair place. Hope this helps

If you roll the flat tire up on one of these short race ramps, the standard Mustang scissors jack will fit underneath. I carry one in my trunk all the time. It weighs about 2 lbs.

http://www.raceramps.com/trakjax.html

If you get a flat on one of the rear tires, then move one of the front tires there and put the spare on the front. That way you know for sure that both rear tires are the same diameter.

If anyone has access to a 2010 Mustang 18" temp spare I would like to know for sure if it will fit an 08 stock SGT. Anyone know the Ford part number for the 18" temp spare? Thanks in advance.

Gary

But will an 18" spare fit in the well in the trunk too?

Archived