TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Non-Political Topic....Credit Report & Score

OK........I have found several Web Sites that state that you can get your Credit Report & Score for Free, BUT you have to give them your Credit Card Number because you will be signed up to a Month of FREE Credit Monitoring, after that they will charge your Card for $14.95 a Month if you dont cancel the service. Is there a Site where you can ACTUALLY get your Score for FREE with out all the Strings attached?

My bank (USAA) has a pretty good deal for $5.99 a month and you can check your credit score 24/7 and they notify you of any changes or inquiries which is pretty good. It came in handy when we bought our house too. USAA is mostly for veterans and their family members but other banks may have a similar credit service.

OK........I have found several Web Sites that state that you can get your Credit Report & Score for Free, BUT you have to give them your Credit Card Number because you will be signed up to a Month of FREE Credit Monitoring, after that they will charge your Card for $14.95 a Month if you dont cancel the service. Is there a Site where you can ACTUALLY get your Score for FREE with out all the Strings attached?

Good luck trying to cancel.......Probably put on hold forever.........

I dont trust any of those Web Based Scams.........

My local Credit Union did it for free no problems....... :)

Go to:

https://www.annualcreditreport.com

For more info, and to avoid scams, go to:

http://www.ftc.gov/freereports

My bank (USAA) has a pretty good deal for $5.99 a month and you can check your credit score 24/7 and they notify you of any changes or inquiries which is pretty good. It came in handy when we bought our house too. USAA is mostly for veterans and their family members but other banks may have a similar credit service.

Imagine that!! I am a USAA member and did not know they offered that service. I am paying $12 or so monthly right now to directly check it through Experian, I think. I am going to check into this, thank you!

tesgt350 - And I cannot remember if there is a site that you can go to... I DO believe that there is a way to order one (one time per year for free), but am unsure. I did that a while ago and elected to just have it monitored monthly, afterwards.

:edit: There you go ^ looks like Jeff got it!!

My understanding is that by law all of the bureaus most provide you with a free report at your request within 30days after any retailer or bank pulls a report. All you need to do is find out which bureau or bureaus they used.

My understanding is that by law all of the bureaus most provide you with a free report at your request within 30days after any retailer or bank pulls a report. All you need to do is find out which bureau or bureaus they used.

That's correct and the website I gave is the standard way to do that under the cooperation of all three majors and the FTC.

It's a federal law that the three big credit agencies have to provide you with one history report annually for free. They don't, however, give you your score for free. The FTC link above will give you access to your free annual report and is probably the only one out there that's safe as there's a lot of scams.

Of the three Credit Rorporting Agencies, Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion which one is mostly used when buying a Car or a Home? Will one show a better score over the other two?

I have used that annual credit report site. Works great and doesn't cost a thing.

Archived