TEAM SHELBY FORUM

high speed hood flutter

z1huggy

Just got back from a road trip through Europe and one thing that kinda surprised me was the hood at high speeds looking like it was ready to fly off.

I had the pleasure of driving through Germany and on some unrestricted bits found myself cruising along at 140mph with a few other cars. At this speed it looked like the hood was moving around and not staying tightly shut. Is there a adjustment to the hood I can do or is this just a characteristic of a non-aerodymic vehicle pushing itself through the air at high speed?

In the 1/4mile I go through the traps at 117 and have never noticed this fluttering. Its the next 23mph :) that does it.

cheers

Drew

I have seen some interesting hoodpins that will be coming available soon, if not already. I had the same scare on my roundtrip to/from Shelbyfest. But mine was at 110 with a headwind. I am hoping to see a set of these new hoodpins installed (I don't wanna be the test subject). I'll see if Gary has some pics that he'd like me to put up on them.

guesss its gonna be hood pins to sort it out so I will keep a eye out. its really un-nerving seeing the hood moving around.

I've got a few pics, nothing exciting. I was playing around with a F360 in the Netherlands and in a slight curve at 130 with a small bump it felt like I slid 4 feet into the next lane! Just no time to snap pics when I was hoofing it. For the most part the Germans love to speed but its usually a family type car you see blow past you.

here are a few random pics from the trip

P1020096.jpg

P1020050.jpg

P1030044.jpg

IMG_2216.jpg

z1huggy - beautiful pics!!

In regard to the hood flutter - I had the same problem. I fixed it by adjusting the rubber stops under the front of the hood (with the hood open, of course). There are four of them. If you look closely, they are threaded, and if you rotate them counter-clockwise you can raise them up a bit. I raised mine enough so that it takes some significant pressure to click it shut (I first rest the hood down and then push on in until it latches), and problem solved!!

Of course, a great alternative are hood pins. Hopefully raising the rubber stops themselves will keep it tight enough until you get them.

Happy motoring!!

z1huggy,

sicshelby is correct. adjust your hood bumpers and it will remove hood shutter at high speeds.

btw, how in the hell did you take that pic while doing 140 mph and full boost at 8.5 psi ....damn!!

Just got back from a road trip through Europe and one thing that kinda surprised me was the hood at high speeds looking like it was ready to fly off.

I had the pleasure of driving through Germany and on some unrestricted bits found myself cruising along at 140mph with a few other cars. At this speed it looked like the hood was moving around and not staying tightly shut. Is there a adjustment to the hood I can do or is this just a characteristic of a non-aerodymic vehicle pushing itself through the air at high speed?

In the 1/4mile I go through the traps at 117 and have never noticed this fluttering. Its the next 23mph :) that does it.

cheers

Drew

Well, last year, in about March of 2008 when I got my BJ SGT my wife was out of town so I decided to go for a ride. I took it north on I25 towards Cheyenne, WY. When I left the temp was in the 70's, but as I went further north two things happend:

1. Temp dropped like a rock (I drove into snow)

2. The wind picked up.

Just as I crossed the border the hood started to flutter at the back portion (close to the windshield). I was going about , ehhhhmmm, 95 and when I stopped at the gas station (it was about 90c/gal cheaper than at home) I asked what the wind was - answer was 55-60 straight from the north....

So, I was going the equivalent of 150-155 straight into the wind. I would say it started fluttering at the equivalent of 140-145, so your observation is correct.

In a nutshell, I think your observation is probably correct.

I was thankful I had hood pins on the SGT.

Had the same thing happen to me at about 125 in my vert. Hood started shimmying something terrible. I didn't know that raising the hood rubbers could fix the problem; I'll give it a try next time I've got the hood open.

I've had my car when stock up to the speed limiter at about 157 mph, the hood did not flutter from what I could see, no wind and a nice cool day. The rubber stops will help if it is really moving around, and pins are a good idea too.

I managed to snap the pic on a long straight unrestricted part of the autobahn. You kinda lose track of the speed you are doing as your attention is on the other drivers. I was able to snap that pic on a open clear portion while catching up to the pack I was in after a brief slowdown. It took a few tries as I was just pointing my camera in the general direction and hoping for a clear picture while scanning traffic.

the Germans are great on the autobahn, they are usualy watching their rear view mirror so you just flash your lights a few times and they scoot over. the ones to worry about are the non-german drivers.

I've had the Shelby in England for a year and a half and finally made it over to the continent. You definately get loads of looks from people wherever you go. For this trip I was on the stock airbox/tune so wasnt far off the limiter at 140, I hope to get over there again and get a proper high speed run in with the CAI and tune. That would require a incar camera I think....

I'll have to play with the hood bumpers and see what I can sort out. I still wonder if the hood moving at high speed is just a annoyance or if it could truly unlatch itself. that would be a really #%$@ thing to have happen.

cheers

Drew

I managed to snap the pic on a long straight unrestricted part of the autobahn. You kinda lose track of the speed you are doing as your attention is on the other drivers. I was able to snap that pic on a open clear portion while catching up to the pack I was in after a brief slowdown. It took a few tries as I was just pointing my camera in the general direction and hoping for a clear picture while scanning traffic.

the Germans are great on the autobahn, they are usualy watching their rear view mirror so you just flash your lights a few times and they scoot over. the ones to worry about are the non-german drivers.

I've had the Shelby in England for a year and a half and finally made it over to the continent. You definately get loads of looks from people wherever you go. For this trip I was on the stock airbox/tune so wasnt far off the limiter at 140, I hope to get over there again and get a proper high speed run in with the CAI and tune. That would require a incar camera I think....

I'll have to play with the hood bumpers and see what I can sort out. I still wonder if the hood moving at high speed is just a annoyance or if it could truly unlatch itself. that would be a really #%$@ thing to have happen.

cheers

Drew

Drew,

next time you come to Germany, give me a call for some real high speed driving with our cars, 140mph is still slow here. Last weekend in July or first weekend in August the dr-mustang forum will hold a Shelby meeting in Oberhausen, not far from the border to the Netherlands.

You will not get rid of the high speed hood flutter by adjusting the hood or the hood stops, I tried it many times and gave up. Just look at my signature and you see how fast the hood lock is holding, so don´t worry. If you want to get rid of it, you should either invest in hood pins or in new hood sealing rubber.

But another question for your safety: Do you still run the stock tires? They are only certified to 270km/h here in Europe and your car can go faster than that.

Ralf

Drew,

next time you come to Germany, give me a call for some real high speed driving with our cars, 140mph is still slow here. Last weekend in July or first weekend in August the dr-mustang forum will hold a Shelby meeting in Oberhausen, not far from the border to the Netherlands.

You will not get rid of the high speed hood flutter by adjusting the hood or the hood stops, I tried it many times and gave up. Just look at my signature and you see how fast the hood lock is holding, so don´t worry. If you want to get rid of it, you should either invest in hood pins or in new hood sealing rubber.

But another question for your safety: Do you still run the stock tires? They are only certified to 270km/h here in Europe and your car can go faster than that.

Ralf

its good to know the hood wont come off! With my car limited it wouldnt have broken 155ish. I do have the cai and tune but returned the car to its stock tune for the trip over. 140 aint bad with a boot full of luggage and it always seemed that when traffic cleared up I was turning off onto another road.

when did you hit 205? was it later in the eve with no worries about traffic as I would imagine you would catch up to cars insanely fast!

and what tires you running? Ideally I want to get ahold of some 2010 GT500 wheels when/if they become available so will be replacing my tires then.

cheers

Drew

Drew,

Glad you had a good time driving the German Autobahn. As I have had some considerable, recent experience driving in Germany, I have one bit of caution. The act of flashing your headlight at vehicles that you are approaching in the left lane is now frowned upon. You are correct, they live in their rearview mirrors and the Germans will move over without you flashing. The accepted procedure is to approach at a reasonable distance, to assure safety. If they don't move to the right, turn on your left turn signal which tells them you wish to pass. Give them time to do so, safely. If they don't move over then you might try a quick blip of the lights, just don't make it a normal action. You are very right in that the drivers who don't move over are usually tourist or Americans. The Germans are by far, in my humble opinion, the best trained, most courteous, and most professional drivers on the planet. Good Luck!!!

Drew,

Glad you had a good time driving the German Autobahn. As I have had some considerable, recent experience driving in Germany, I have one bit of caution. The act of flashing your headlight at vehicles that you are approaching in the left lane is now frowned upon. You are correct, they live in their rearview mirrors and the Germans will move over without you flashing. The accepted procedure is to approach at a reasonable distance, to assure safety. If they don't move to the right, turn on your left turn signal which tells them you wish to pass. Give them time to do so, safely. If they don't move over then you might try a quick blip of the lights, just don't make it a normal action. You are very right in that the drivers who don't move over are usually tourist or Americans. The Germans are by far, in my humble opinion, the best trained, most courteous, and most professional drivers on the planet. Good Luck!!!

as they say, when in rome..... the guys I see flashing their lights are the ones catching up considerably quicker than the traffic is moving. guys moving in excess of 120 or so.

anyways, Bandit, have to post or shoot me a message when you have that Shelby get together. Might be time for a trip!

Archived