TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Obama proposes first regulation of auto emissions

President Barack Obama proposed on Tuesday the first U.S. regulation of auto emissions in a bid to reduce climate-warming greenhouse gasses and lower dependence on foreign oil. The initiative is centered around the strictest plan ever for increasing fuel standards for passenger vehicles, sharply raising pressure on struggling automakers to make more efficient cars and trucks.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090519/bs_nm/us_obama_emissions

US auto makers are "TAPPED OUT".......Can't servive without Gov. Bail outs.......

They have to change to continue??????????

So far FORD has been doing just fine without any bailouts from government!

And change what???? They build just as good of cars as the foriegn companies do if not better and they get about the same gas mileage!

All the BS is coming from the bias liberal media by brainwashing their followers. If they say it, it must be so! How did people get so dumb???

BTW....most people bashing American cars have not driven or owned one in decades, yet they THINK they know foriegn cars are better!

Actually, if you have been paying attention, the great and powerful almighty Toyota all the liberals are in love with, Toyota is having LOTS of problems, their quality has dropped way off, and they have gotten bailout money from the government as well!

How does that make any sense? Year after year Toyota has posted record profits, then after ONE year of posting their first loss after coming off a record profitable year they are sitting with their hand out for government bailout money! Now what is wrong with this picture??? The prifits they posted year after year they should be able to go 10 years losing money without needing any bailouts! The American auto companies did....what did Toyota do with the hundreds of billions they made in profits???

And change what???? They build just as good of cars as the foriegn companies do if not better and they get about the same gas mileage!

All the BS is coming from the bias liberal media by brainwashing their followers. If they say it, it must be so! How did people get so dumb???

BTW....most people bashing American cars have not driven or owned one in decades, yet they THINK they know foriegn cars are better!

Actually, if you have been paying attention, the great and powerful almighty Toyota all the liberals are in love with, Toyota is having LOTS of problems, their quality has dropped way off, and they have gotten bailout money from the government as well!

How does that make any sense? Year after year Toyota has posted record profits, then after ONE year of posting their first loss after coming off a record profitable year they are sitting with their hand out for government bailout money! Now what is wrong with this picture??? The prifits they posted year after year they should be able to go 10 years losing money without needing any bailouts! The American auto companies did....what did Toyota do with the hundreds of billions they made in profits???

Okay - but what's your point? :happy feet:

Here in So. California we see a :censored: load of Toyota Prius on the road............

What kept Ford from marketing the Focus to compete with this market????????

I will most likely purchase a Ford Hybrid in the near future but I am just saying

the market for these cars has been here for some time now and the US Auto Makers

dropped the ball again..........................

I looked at a New Hyundai and the MPG on the Window Sticker said 25 City & 34 Hwy.................... all I can say is WOW. I almost want to by one.

I drove my Civic to NYC last week and got almost 43 mpg.

Here in So. California we see a :censored: load of Toyota Prius on the road............

What kept Ford from marketing the Focus to compete with this market????????

I will most likely purchase a Ford Hybrid in the near future but I am just saying

the market for these cars has been here for some time now and the US Auto Makers

dropped the ball again..........................

Simple answer -- Greed.

So it is not "COMMUNISM" that has taken us down..........It is "GREED"?????????

Why so many question marks? One is all you need.

And - yes, IMHO, greed can be blamed for our entire (!) economic toilet bowl we're swimming in.

I looked at a New Hyundai and the MPG on the Window Sticker said 25 City & 34 Hwy.................... all I can say is WOW. I almost want to by one.

David wait, soon the new Ford Focus and Fiesta will be available which will be better! :happy feet:

And have you noticed how the big Toyota Tundra Truck looks a lot like the F150? After all, Ford builds the BEST Truck on the Road.

David wait, soon the new Ford Focus and Fiesta will be available which will be better! :happy feet:

Yeah, I want the Ford Fiesta in Lime Green Metallic................ :happy feet:

I think Ford's line-up is BORING and UNINSPIRED. Has been for awhile now. You don't see too many 20 year olds driving tricked out Ford Focuses! This will hopefully change soon with the Festiva coming over from the UK. Go to the Ford UK web site, check out the cars, check out their gas milage. Imagine if you had those cars in your showroom? I go into my dealer today and yawn at how boring the cars are, I go to the UK web site and dream of getting my daughter a vert Fiesta cabriolet.

Hopefully this will further light a fire under Ford's butt to move these cars, some getting 60+ mpg, here to the US, they do that and we'll see fewer kids driving "ricers" and more Fords!

BTW: Ford is NOT fine! They've been able to secure financing in the open market thus far but are under just as much pressure as the next guy.

TOTAL COMPANY

2009 FIRST QUARTER OPERATIONS PRE-TAX

RESULTS*

• Results at all operations were worse than last year

• Ford North America had an operating loss of $637 million

• Ford South America earned an operating profit of $63 million

• Ford Europe had a $550 million operating loss

• Volvo had an operating loss of $255 million

• Ford Asia Pacific Africa had a $96 million operating loss

• Financial Services had an operating loss of $62 million

I think Ford's line-up is BORING and UNINSPIRED. Has been for awhile now. You don't see too many 20 year olds driving tricked out Ford Focuses! This will hopefully change soon with the Festiva coming over from the UK. Go to the Ford UK web site, check out the cars, check out their gas milage. Imagine if you had those cars in your showroom? I go into my dealer today and yawn at how boring the cars are, I go to the UK web site and dream of getting my daughter a vert Fiesta cabriolet.

Hopefully this will further light a fire under Ford's butt to move these cars, some getting 60+ mpg, here to the US, they do that and we'll see fewer kids driving "ricers" and more Fords!

BTW: Ford is NOT fine! They've been able to secure financing in the open market thus far but are under just as much pressure as the next guy.

I agree with your assessment Jeff but, I do like whats comming from Ford. If you want boring, you will find plenty at Toyota (vastly over rated) and even more at Honda. Chevy is not much better with only the Camaro (if you like the looks) and the Corvette. The Brand that probably had it going, Pontiac is being axed. Wouldnt you really rather have a Buick?

I agree with your assessment Jeff but, I do like whats comming from Ford. If you want boring, you will find plenty at Toyota (vastly over rated) and even more at Honda. Chevy is not much better with only the Camaro (if you like the looks) and the Corvette. The Brand that probably had it going, Pontiac is being axed. Wouldnt you really rather have a Buick?

I like what's coming too and can only say it's about time. For years Ford has had some really nice cars in the UK and Australia but kept churning out the same things, the same grills slapped on every car, etc., North American styling was not their forte for sure. I'm glad to see them bring these cars over. It's not that Ford can't do it just look at Ford UK! They have done some good things with the new Taurus and the Flex and they need to keep doing it and get these cool cars over here.

I want Ford to succeed but I will say when I think the Emperor has no clothes.

Archived