TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is this considered a kill?

oldguyrock

Ok, first let me start by saying 99.9% of the time I wouldn't race. I usually ignore other drivers who want to race, however, this time it was different.

I was driving South on the 101 on the Central Coast yesterday. I was going around 85 when I came upon a 2003/04 BMW M3. As I came aside the M3 he wouldn't let me pass. I never even looked at the guy. He immediately started bird doggin' me. He would speed up, get in front of me and slow down. He kept doing this for several miles. He finally got behind me, probably 100 yards, then sped up and passed me. When he passed me he cut in front of me and slammed on his brakes. I had to slam on my brakes to keep from rear ending him. Needless to say this pissed me off. I dropped a gear and put my foot through the firewall. I can only assume, because of the way he was driving, this is what he wanted. The SGT accelerated up to 120/125, still in 4th gear. When I looked in the rearview mirror the M3 was 150 to 200 yards behind, and he never caught up. He did eventually catch up when I got into traffic.

Anyway that's my story. I don't know if he just didn't have what it takes, or he gave up.

Ok, first let me start by saying 99.9% of the time I wouldn't race. I usually ignore other drivers who want to race, however, this time it was different.

I was driving South on the 101 on the Central Coast yesterday. I was going around 85 when I came upon a 2003/04 BMW M3. As I came aside the M3 he wouldn't let me pass. I never even looked at the guy. He immediately started bird doggin' me. He would speed up, get in front of me and slow down. He kept doing this for several miles. He finally got behind me, probably 100 yards, then sped up and passed me. When he passed me he cut in front of me and slammed on his brakes. I had to slam on my brakes to keep from rear ending him. Needless to say this pissed me off. I dropped a gear and put my foot through the firewall. I can only assume, because of the way he was driving, this is what he wanted. The SGT accelerated up to 120/125, still in 4th gear. When I looked in the rearview mirror the M3 was 150 to 200 yards behind, and he never caught up. He did eventually catch up when I got into traffic.

Anyway that's my story. I don't know if he just didn't have what it takes, or he gave up.

sounds like a kill to me! Just be careful.....price for drag racing on the streets are very steep! Craig :happy feet:

Ill probably get flamed for saying this but you asked and Ill answer. Plus I still think Im allowed to express my opinion, "Change" hasnt totally taken effect yet.

You can call it a "kill" but I call that Road Rage and Reckless Driving. Thank goodness no one got hurt after two people driving like idiots.

Ill probably get flamed for saying this but you asked and Ill answer. Plus I still think Im allowed to express my opinion, "Change" hasnt totally taken effect yet.

You can call it a "kill" but I call that Road Rage and Reckless Driving. Thank goodness no one got hurt after two people driving like idiots.

I think at one time or another, anyone driving a high performance car has done this. Smart, probably not, dangerous, absolutely, tempting, very....just pick your battles wisely and try to do it on the strip. But I can't throw any stones on this one.....nothing serious but maybe a burst here or there where there is no traffic and I can see far enough ahead. Personally, I don't like to take chances like this as I have the worst luck with the popo...Craig

I would have followed him to the next stop light, yanked him out of his car, then beat the :censored: out of him!

I call that Road Rage and Reckless Driving.

I wouldn't call that road rage or reckless driving on your part. I would have done the same thing, I wouldn't have appeciated a idiot like that trying to cause trouble. When he slammed his brakes in front of you thats when he totally crossed the line, the only thing you could have done was pull over and let him get further down the road or floored it and got away from the situation. I probably would have floored it as well and got out of there. I guess you could have called the police but the situation would have most likely been disolved by the time they would have been anywhere in sight.

I wouldn't call that road rage or reckless driving on your part.

From California Code or Law, whatever they call it there.

Reckless Driving

A. A person who drives a vehicle upon a highway in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty of reckless driving.

B. A person who drives a vehicle in an offstreet parking facility, as defined in subdivision © of Section 12500, in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty of reckless driving.

© Persons convicted of the offense of reckless driving shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail for not less than five days nor more than 90 days or by a fine of not less than one hundred forty-five dollars ($145) nor more than one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment, except as provided in Section 23104 or 23105.

Amended Sec. 19, Ch. 739, Stats. 2001. Effective January 1, 2002.

Amended Sec. 16, Ch. 682, Stats. 2007. Effective January 1, 2008.

I know youll say there was no "willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property" but Im certain if you look into case law it will be clean driving 120 to 125 would clearly fall into this statute.

Im not trying to start a fight, just giving a few facts to back up my opinion.

I had a run in with a BMW M3 at VIR last Fall. If the guy had known how to drive, I wouldn't have stood a chance. On the straight aways he pulled away every time. I had nothing for him there. In every turn, I caught him by outbraking him and tailgated him around all the twisties until he was forced to let me go. I'm still convinced that the Stock M3 will beat the Stock SGT any day with equally equiped drivers. JMO

Edit: While I agree on the street racing issue, I have done it. I have vowed not to do it again because there is no end...no finish line and I don't want to kill anyone or go to jail. Since I started road course driving, my desire to street race has subsided...

Reckless Driving

A. A person who drives a vehicle upon a highway in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty of reckless driving.

B. A person who drives a vehicle in an offstreet parking facility, as defined in subdivision © of Section 12500, in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty of reckless driving.

© Persons convicted of the offense of reckless driving shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail for not less than five days nor more than 90 days or by a fine of not less than one hundred forty-five dollars ($145) nor more than one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment, except as provided in Section 23104 or 23105.

I know youll say there was no "willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property" but Im certain if you look into case law it will be clean driving 120 to 125 would clearly fall into this statute.

If Cited for over 100MPH they can Arrest you and Impound the car............

Reckless Driving

you cant talk $hit about "change" (i hate it also by the way) and then quote the peoples republic of kalifornia :poke::hysterical:

Men are tempted to do what you did, however, the right (and hard) thing to do in a situation like that is let the idiot BMW driver go and remove yourself from the situation and potential problems.

you cant talk $hit about "change" (i hate it also by the way) and then quote the peoples republic of kalifornia :poke::hysterical:

Oh I can talk $hit about "change" and I will, but you do have a good point! :banghead:

Sounds like he had it out for you! I wonder what his issue was... :headscratch:

I have yet to get reactions from other drivers like that on the road. It does get you heated though, huh?

Sometimes it takes a bigger man to walk away. I know it's easy for me to say but I thought it was worth mentioning.

I have to agree Mike, it makes ya a better person. Not to say I would have handled it any different! I have great 20-20 hindsight!

Very nice from a person in a state that would elect Al Franken???!!!???

I have to agree Mike, it makes ya a better person. Not to say I would have handled it any different! I have great 20-20 hindsight!

+1

Very nice from a person in a state that would elect Al Franken???!!!???

+1

lol i cant help that the minority in this state has controle of the courts and some how made many ballots go away. but it does give you hope doesnt it that you can do coke and party and be a complete jack a$$ and still get elected right? :banghead:

I've only had that happen to me once in my 67. It was a young kid with his girlfriend in a riceburner revving it at a stop light. I just looked over and smiled and kept telling myself, "Disclipline, Mikey. Keep your cool." I let it go. That 390 would have taken him but it wasn't worth it.

I guess when you get right down to it, it's jackasses like the BMW clown that can ruin a nice drive. And walking away from a challenge is always difficult especially when you want to teach someone a lesson. But like everyone else says; that's what the race track is for.

Sounds like Road Rage to me !!!! not a race and you should have had his butt arrested cutting you off and slamming on the brakes. Idiots like that don't deserve to drive a sports car.

I've only had that happen to me once in my 67. It was a young kid with his girlfriend in a riceburner revving it at a stop light. I just looked over and smiled and kept telling myself, "Disclipline, Mikey. Keep your cool." I let it go. That 390 would have taken him but it wasn't worth it.

I guess when you get right down to it, it's jackasses like the BMW clown that can ruin a nice drive. And walking away from a challenge is always difficult especially when you want to teach someone a lesson. But like everyone else says; that's what the race track is for.

next time tell a riceburner you don't want to waste your gas!!!!

Well, 20/20 hindsight, you should have used your cell and have him pulled over. Now, that being said, I understand your emotions taking over at that point and, mine may have too. But, Like others here, I do the track thing and it does lessen my desire to do any other form of racing

lol i cant help that the minority in this state has controle of the courts and some how made many ballots go away. but it does give you hope doesnt it that you can do coke and party and be a complete jack a$$ and still get elected right? :banghead:

You are referring to Bush right? Or Obama?

Forget the ticket driving from a place of anger is unhealthy. Find the mellow. Its only a persson in a BMW who obviously is suffering greatly from insecurity or other afflictions.

Well, 20/20 hindsight, you should have used your cell and have him pulled over. Now, that being said, I understand your emotions taking over at that point and, mine may have too. But, Like others here, I do the track thing and it does lessen my desire to do any other form of racing

Yeah right...and they are looking for the kids stolen skateboard with 4 detectives.. :hysterical:

You are referring to Bush right? Or Obama?

Forget the ticket driving from a place of anger is unhealthy. Find the mellow. Its only a persson in a BMW who obviously is suffering greatly from insecurity or other afflictions.

no i am referring to the SNL "star" that got elected in MN by a court decision.

Archived