TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Super Snake hood prep and paint

I was able to successfully sand out the sag and now I have sanded the dust nibs and entire hood with 2500 grit. I will use a medium cut compound and wool pad. (did you know there are different grits of wool pads?) for the first stage of buffing. The second stage of bugging will also be with a wool pad but a much finer compound. The last stage is a polish with foam pad that eliminates swirls left by the wool pad and appears to remove a slight haze left from the compound. You have to let it work at the grabbing point not just fill the scratches.

A variable speed buffer is a must as you have to be very careful. This one is a Dewalt and it has held up great. It has speed settings and also varible trigger speed. I can't' believe how heavy my 30 year old SUE buffer is compared to the Dwalt. Its retired now.

There are many opportunities the screw up a job or just have something happen. After all these years I believe I should write about what not to do. Funny how you remember these as some of them hit you hard in the pocket book.

I will let the hood sit a few days and kick before I flip it and glue the vents on the bottom.

post-3388-1243437917_thumb.jpg

post-3388-1243437917_thumb.jpg

Thanks Scott. I have known him since dinosaurs roamed the area, I would NOT trust anyone to do the hood project. As you can see the job is perfect. I am new at this forum ideas, I finally got a pic of my car to go with my name, I have some pics I will try to upload of the under hood project, (one will be top secret until completion).

I am new at this, if it fails pleae send some ideas ti upload pics to post (Thanks)

post-25220-1243481491_thumb.jpg

post-25220-1243481545_thumb.jpg

post-25220-1243481564_thumb.jpg

post-25220-1243481491_thumb.jpg

post-25220-1243481545_thumb.jpg

post-25220-1243481564_thumb.jpg

I am doing a Super Snake hood for a friend of mine and I thought I would include the paint prep and paint step by step for any one who is interested.

Impression of the hood is that it is a quality piece. Much better than other fiberglass hoods that I have done over the years. I do not know what kind of primer Shelby used but guessing by the way it sanded it was similar to a catalyzed high build possibly a epoxy. They were generous with the amount or primer also. There were 2 little cracks in the front that I ground out and added resin. This is not unusual to see as this happens sometimes during shipping. This has to be repaired as the paint will not fill and seal them.

The first step was to rough fit the hood. The after market hood hinges (I believe they were Shelby) spaced the hood too far up on one side to use. we went back to the factory hinges as I believe Shelby does any way. I had to repair a slight imperfection at the corner.

Hey what type of hood lifters is your friend using for the SS hood?

I have the same color but was made in 09, my shop has taken 1 month to do the hood (what a mission)

Hey what type of hood lifters is your friend using for the SS hood?

I have the same color but was made in 09, my shop has taken 1 month to do the hood (what a mission)

The Shelby gas lifters can barely hold the hood up, so I am going to use the hood prop rod in conjunction with the lifters. I CANNOT aford to have the hood close during a show. I cant remember where I read it, but I saw a post that the hood can sag in the middle due to the front end being so heavy, Shelby uses the prop rod only.

Whatt has taken the hood to the air brush shop and will be back in a couple of weeks and I will have more pics then. Including the air brush work that you gotta see.

When we were studying the hood pin crush nuts that Ford put in for him we didn't feel like there was enough hold to them. High speeds create a lot of lift. I don't want to say the current design is faulty but we felt the need to make it better.

post-3388-1244302714_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Last one. and I will also add that Wyatt and his car was in a local commercial for Bartow Ford. Kind of neat.

This is quite a different car than it was a couple months ago. It now has the KB supercharger. A post Gauges, side quarter window covers, I believe BMR rear sway bar (ties to rear end like a Watts link) Tokico shocks as well. KR mufflers and H pipe. (sounds good) I will have Wyatt pop in and talk about the upgrades.

post-3388-1247679414_thumb.jpg

post-3388-1247679414_thumb.jpg

Wyatt said he would make you some.

Thanks, I need to get in touch with him. My car blew out a blower discharge manifold gasket a couple weeks back, took me a while to diagnose and then time to pull everything apart and fix it. Everything else sort of got back burnered...

My SuperSnake hood is at the painters...will be done tomorrow...any problems installing the hoodpins?....I got the GT500 hoodpins instead of the flat ones...shelby said I had to put a slight angle in the pin for clearance....Any sugestions?

I am doing a Super Snake hood for a friend of mine and I thought I would include the paint prep and paint step by step for any one who is interested.

Impression of the hood is that it is a quality piece. Much better than other fiberglass hoods that I have done over the years. I do not know what kind of primer Shelby used but guessing by the way it sanded it was similar to a catalyzed high build possibly a epoxy. They were generous with the amount or primer also. There were 2 little cracks in the front that I ground out and added resin. This is not unusual to see as this happens sometimes during shipping. This has to be repaired as the paint will not fill and seal them.

The first step was to rough fit the hood. The after market hood hinges (I believe they were Shelby) spaced the hood too far up on one side to use. we went back to the factory hinges as I believe Shelby does any way. I had to repair a slight imperfection at the corner.

My SuperSnake hood is at the painters...will be done tomorrow...any problems installing the hoodpins?....I got the GT500 hoodpins instead of the flat ones...shelby said I had to put a slight angle in the pin for clearance....Any sugestions?

No problems, we just were just very careful as to line everything up. Measure, mark it and study it and don't get in a hurry and you will be fine.

It's done. 40 MPH and 50 feet away it looks great!!!!

love the paint job and the air brush job. I have the same hood and same color with same dark alloy stripes, I need to ask

who did your car and how are those hood struts holding up against the SS hood. Also, I live in south florida, so if your body shop guy lives in florida I will drive to see him.

After the pins are in and holes drilled in hood, you will find the holes have to be a little bigger than spec. in the instructions, also the top ring and the plastic insert are made canted, turn them to make them sit level on the hood, the hood is not level. If you have problems getting the angle and the pin pops out of radiator support call me for the fix. 863-581-3903

love the paint job and the air brush job. I have the same hood and same color with same dark alloy stripes, I need to ask

who did your car and how are those hood struts holding up against the SS hood. Also, I live in south florida, so if your body shop guy lives in florida I will drive to see him.

I did the exterior paint and Wyatt had another guy do the air brush work. I am in Haines City. The hood struts seem to hold but I don't believe they are recommended by them selves. Wyatt extended his prop rod so that the hood would open more to display the airbrush work at shows and still uses the rod as well.

• 1 month later...

Been following this thread for a while. Awsome job on the hood, attention to detail and all those little things that make a huge difference in the end. That snake painted on the underside of the hood just pops too!

Did I read this right. doing a SS hood for a friend? Talk about a good fiend! :rockon:

HEY WERE DID YOU GET THAT CERTIFICATE FOR YOUR CAR

Call SVT at 800-367-3788. From what I have heard, you can get a copy of your window sticker as well. So, would save a couple of $ to order them both at the same time if you want em both. I did not know about the window sticker option when I ordered the build cert., and I was REALLY careful when I removed the window sticker, so have not gone that route yet.

Archived