TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Aluminum Wheel Cleaner?

A non acid wheel cleaner(Show Car Wheel Cleaner), a soft bristle brush, and wheel seal which stands up to heat and brake dust but has no cleaners in it. Its a pure hi temprature sealant for wheels. The wheels are already coated by Alcoa but if you will be racing the car use a wheel seal. The Alcoas are the easiest to clean and keep looking great.

Go to the bottom of the page for the wheel seal

http://www.showcardetail.com/ShowCarProducts.html

For the stock Alcoa Aluminum wheels on the '09 GT500KR, what are people using to clean them? And after the cleaning, should I use a polish/wax/sealer of some kind?

Thx

I actually use that California Wash & Wax on them while they are still wet from washing and rinsing. It really puts a shine to them and puts a slippery coating of wax on them that actually will repel dust and dirt for a couple days. I discovered this accidently when I decided to use the wash and wax just to see how it would work on the wheels. I won't ever go back to using anything else as an after-coat.

Another thing I found that works to quickly remove surface dust, bug, tars and smudges off wheels and the front bumper is Stoners Glass Cleaner OR Bisell Glass Cleaner..both in a spray can. Shake the can a couple of times to foam the contents and then spray and wipe the bumper and wheels. Leaves a nice shine on the wheels.

For normal cleaning on a clear coated wheel, I use Simple Green and a soft brush. For more detailed work I use a clay bar on it (I keep older bars specifically for wheels) and then put on a coat of wax. The clear coat is just like the cars painted finsh, so treat it as such.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived