TEAM SHELBY FORUM

water in the passenger floorboard

we been gettin lots and LOTSSSSSS of rain this month and last night while i was at work we had a pretty good squall come through. Well, after work, i was putting some stuff in my passenger side and was goin to sit some stuff down in passenger floorboard and notice a lil puddle of water. :blink:

first thing i checked was the door window to see if it was all the way up...it was....hmm...did i leave the door ajarred?...no. i remembered it being completely shut. so then i started to get confused. while on the way home i was gettin more irritated by the mile. finally got home. i thought maybe it was air conditioner leaking condesation or heater or somethin. but i couldn't bare the possibility of that. :o

so i got online and googled mustang interior water leaks and found a thread about water gettin trapped in the cowling behind the hood and gettin into the cabin airfilter and then runnin down into the passenger side floorboard. what it is is that over time leaves and gunk clog up the drain holes in the cowling and causing water to get into the cabin filter (inlet?). which means my cabin filter will need replacing and i'm gonna have to clean out my drain holes which have rubber grommets with little slits......so.....yeah....i guess thats what i get for not washin my baby. but its been rainin constantly for a month around here.

anyway just incase anyone has the same problem here's a link to another forum i came across. http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?p=5584160

we been gettin lots and LOTSSSSSS of rain this month and last night while i was at work we had a pretty good squall come through. Well, after work, i was putting some stuff in my passenger side and was goin to sit some stuff down in passenger floorboard and notice a lil puddle of water. :blink:

first thing i checked was the door window to see if it was all the way up...it was....hmm...did i leave the door ajarred?...no. i remembered it being completely shut. so then i started to get confused. while on the way home i was gettin more irritated by the mile. finally got home. i thought maybe it was air conditioner leaking condesation or heater or somethin. but i couldn't bare the possibility of that. :o

so i got online and googled mustang interior water leaks and found a thread about water gettin trapped in the cowling behind the hood and gettin into the cabin airfilter and then runnin down into the passenger side floorboard. what it is is that over time leaves and gunk clog up the drain holes in the cowling and causing water to get into the cabin filter (inlet?). which means my cabin filter will need replacing and i'm gonna have to clean out my drain holes which have rubber grommets with little slits......so.....yeah....i guess thats what i get for not washin my baby. but its been rainin constantly for a month around here.

anyway just incase anyone has the same problem here's a link to another forum i came across. http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?p=5584160

Yeah, this has been an issue for as long as I can remember. Sorry to hear it happened to you but a welcome reminder to all.

Where are these drain holes? I want to check mine. Are they the littles ones I can see on the topside of the cowling?

Yeah, this has been an issue for as long as I can remember. Sorry to hear it happened to you but a welcome reminder to all.

hmm u'd think after 100 years ford would know how to keep water out of the cabin. :headscratch::doh:

my cabin filter was bone dry though...which was odd. i was expecting a soggy filter but it was dry. i did check a drain hole in the bottom of the cavity where the cabin filter is located. its got a rubber gromet with a slit. it was somewhat clotted with debris. i just had to remove the cowling on passenger side to get to cabin filter area.

BUT, when i was trying to put it back in place there is a little wire connected to the hood where the hinge is. looks like a ground wire maybe? well it was kinda keepin me from sliding the cowling back into that corner so like an idiot i took a screwdriver and tried to pull the wire out of the way and i got the screwdriver stuck between the hood and fender and i heard a crackling sound :ph34r: . i had chipped the pain on the edge of the hood and fender. :banghead::censored::rant2::slapfight: so now i'm gonna have to go get some touch up paint and try to fix it. if it ever quits RAINING. started raining again an hour ago....oh and the TPS light came on. so i got a low tire somewhere. <_<

I can't believe ford never fixed that problem !!! In 1989, I worked for a ford dealership in NJ and this brand new cougar got rain water on the P/S floor after calling ford direct ad a couple of broken windshield :doh: ford told us to mount not glue a clear plastic shield over the P/S cowl where the fresh air is sucked in. I refused to due it but they did and it worked, but thats not a true fix imagine you see that on your new car a sheet of plastic that will break the first time you detail your car.

But you car test it by running your car with a/c on and some one in the passengerside look under dash by fresh air vent door for water ,doors closed and hood also let water run off hood and windshield do not use a nozzle. From the outside is if you can actually see the water being sux in. From there you can tell the nice service manager what you found!!!

Good luck

yes, one of the longest threads on Mustang Forums is about "the dreaded water leak!" A search there should give you a full day's worth of reading. I believe that one includes a fix.

• 3 weeks later...

your lucky it wasn't like in which the same problem caused water to leak into the passenger side kickpanel where the fuse box to all the interior accessories is located. Shorter out the computer.

at least that's what ford told me.

Archived