TEAM SHELBY FORUM

best all in one dslr lens?

i want to be ready at any give time when "that" shot flashes in front of my eyes. whether is landscapes, portraits, action or watever i want to be strap and ready. i hate carrying gear after gear, lens after lens, change this change that so i have decided to purchase a simple set up to accommodate this.

i narrow it down two these below. if anyone owns or have experience with the below, please drop a line or two on how you like it. i thank u much. if not the below any other suggestions?

1. Canon 5d mark II with Canon 28-300 mm f/3.5-5.6L EF IS USM Lens

2. Nikon d300 with 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G VR IF-ED AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR (Vibration Reduction) Image Stabilization

From the Canon Crowd: For a zoom, I like the 80-200 F2.8L IS. It may be the finest zoom that Canon has ever made. I know the temptation to carry one lens is great but I would rather have the 2.8 so I can control DOF, low light, edge distortion, etc. It's even more important when you are shooting a full size sensor like the 5D. I usually carry the 80-200 F2.8L IS, a 28-135 F4L IS, and a 15mm F2.8 USM fisheye to go with my APS-c sensor 40D.

Unless you are very disciplined, you will probably buy the better glass sooner or later and the 28-300 won't be used as much. If you don't like carrying the equipment, I would suggest a good bag to carry it in. For example, look at some of the Lowepro back packs.

Finally, almost all of the pros say "put your money in glass before body". I would have to agree with that.

From the Canon Crowd: For a zoom, I like the 80-200 F2.8L IS. It may be the finest zoom that Canon has ever made. I know the temptation to carry one lens is great but I would rather have the 2.8 so I can control DOF, low light, edge distortion, etc. It's even more important when you are shooting a full size sensor like the 5D. I usually carry the 80-200 F2.8L IS, a 28-135 F4L IS, and a 15mm F2.8 USM fisheye to go with my APS-c sensor 40D.

Unless you are very disciplined, you will probably buy the better glass sooner or later and the 28-300 won't be used as much. If you don't like carrying the equipment, I would suggest a good bag to carry it in. For example, look at some of the Lowepro back packs.

Finally, almost all of the pros say "put your money in glass before body". I would have to agree with that.

I bought my wife the Canon 40D with EF28-135 F3.5-5.6 IS USM and the EF70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM for Christmas (she was my fiancee at the time - we married 5-2-09!) and am extremely impressed with this set-up, it was a package deal. Without much work but a lot of reading and practicing we both have taken some impressive pictures (to me anyway) and being digital practicing is just a matter of keeping batteries charged and space on the CF card. CF is expensive and new to me. Stores tons of high quality pics and fits those giant slots on the HP, and other electronics.

I like the 70-300 but even though stabilized it is easy for me to botch if I zoom too much, it isn't the lens or camera! I like the smaller lens. My wife takes some incredible pictures with this lens. We have a Lowepro pack and it works great with the adjustments - could easily store 1 more large lens and maybe another small one if you had a use for that much glass. Keeps spare battery extra lens caps, cables, manuals, etc., and isn't as large as it sounds. She carries it easily when she is taking pictures. I carry collapsible tripod if we need it. Sounds like a lot - without the tripod it isn't. You can always get a smaller bag (just enough to protect camera and lens) and carry less.

My .25.

Archived