TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Mother Of All Stripe Problems

HORSBYT

I still feel like i'm about a month behind on everything (except my mortgage payment, thanks Obama, but no thank you, I go this!) and I totally forgot I took these pics at a local dealer. The body shop there is TOP notch! Well I came by to chat for a bit and saw 3 SGT's sitting outside. I asked the Body Shop Manager what the deal was and he said that the area dealers that are closing are shipping him the SGT's to handle warranty work as they go out of business. Anyway, long story short it was SAD to see these sitting in this condition. The GO was by far the worst. I told him about the limited number of GO's and he kind of laughed and he said he had like 4 or 5 of them in the shop at that moment being fixed up! I'm seriously surprised to see so many of these unsold.... Anyway, If anyone is looking for an SGT..... I know where they have a few!

post-21846-1242197486_thumb.jpg

post-21846-1242197523_thumb.jpg

post-21846-1242197541_thumb.jpg

post-21846-1242197486_thumb.jpg

post-21846-1242197523_thumb.jpg

post-21846-1242197541_thumb.jpg

Looks like acid "dew", what a shame. I too wonder why they haven't sold. You would think that anyone in the market for a Stang would grab up one of these.

+1, I was thinking "acid rain" before I read your post, that's just a shame.

I still feel like i'm about a month behind on everything (except my mortgage payment, thanks Obama, but no thank you, I go this!) and I totally forgot I took these pics at a local dealer. The body shop there is TOP notch! Well I came by to chat for a bit and saw 3 SGT's sitting outside. I asked the Body Shop Manager what the deal was and he said that the area dealers that are closing are shipping him the SGT's to handle warranty work as they go out of business. Anyway, long story short it was SAD to see these sitting in this condition. The GO was by far the worst. I told him about the limited number of GO's and he kind of laughed and he said he had like 4 or 5 of them in the shop at that moment being fixed up! I'm seriously surprised to see so many of these unsold.... Anyway, If anyone is looking for an SGT..... I know where they have a few!

Any idea of how to reach the dealers of thee cars? Seeing these pictures of the stripes should get SAI on the ball. Is a real disgrace on the stripe supplier.

"Acid Dew"....................another name for "we make $hitty stripes" I know Shelby didn't make the stripes but the company that did should be held responsible to some degree. About 10 years ago I bought some 8" stripes on E-bay for about 20.00 to put on a junker truck that my nephew had. We used it to haul junk to the scrap yard, and as a joke I put those stripes on, I was out there the other day and looked at the stripes we had put on 10 years ago and they were still in pretty good shape for being outside all the time. I just had to laugh...................maybe Shelby should have used that company.

Holy crap ...That's the worst I have ever seen!

I bought my SGT about 6 weeks ago and the strips are in "ok" condition, but show some minor weathering. I think the dealer had the car on display outside for quite awhile and it shows. They are not too far gone to endure a good cleaning and waxing to protect them from acid rain though. But if my strips end up being a maintenance nightmare, I am just going to have them removed and then re-painted on and clearcoated just like the rest of the car to keep it looking good.

But honestly, I'm not a huge fan of the vinyl strips in the first place. Has anyone here just removed them? And if so, was the paint underneath in good shape? Was there any apparent fading of the exposed paint? (specifically in my case, the GO paint)

I don't think there's anything wrong with the stripe material. The U/V's and rain can do a helluva lot of damage to anything when it sits outside all the time, especially in desert or near-desert sun like you have in the SW USA. This is just total lack of care. They could have at least treated the stripes with a U/V protectant like 303, which is what I use.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the stripe material. The U/V's and rain can do a helluva lot of damage to anything when it sits outside all the time, especially in desert or near-desert sun like you have in the SW USA. This is just total lack of care. They could have at least treated the stripes with a U/V protectant like 303, which is what I use.

Yeah, I wonder how it would look if I just took off the strips and replaced it with one of those Trans-Am screaming chickens :hysterical:

Yeah, I wonder how it would look if I just took off the strips and replaced it with one of those Trans-Am screaming chickens :hysterical:

NOW, THAT IS FUNNY!!! :hysterical3:

what kinds of prices are they asking?

They had just taken them in from surrounding dealers. I'm not sure what they were going to do with them after the repairs. This was at Citrus Motors in Ontario, CA if anyone is interested. The convertibles were in pretty good shape, not nearly as bad. I'm betting you could get these less than $30K.

I seen these a few weeks ago & called the body shop manager,

I wanted to buy one of the Verts.

He contacted Ford, since they are from dealers that were closed down,

they told him they will be sold at a dealer auction once they are repaired.

The stripes were scary bad, made me make room in the garage for my car.

Paul

That is so bad Ive never seen stripes that bad my Shelby GLHS from 1987 never had any stripe problem and for the first 6 years in was outside all year to include the WI winter stripes look NEW. the stripes Mfg, should be held responsible my SGT stripes are in great shape BUT car used maybe once per week parked in shop all day covered in garage and waxed of glazed each time before I use it, never have done this with any car too bad such cheap material on SGT stripes

Local dealer, Russ Milne, has had 4 '08 verts on the lot for over a year. Last time I asked they were asking sticker. Haven't given the stripes a 'hard' look but off-hand don't recall seeing a problem. Although one vehicle had 9 rusted rivets on the scoop.

Don

Man makes me scared when I see that. I only have 500 miles on my vert and the car never sees rain, hope this never happens. But man was I pissed today when I was stretching her legs and looking through my windshield and seeing 4-5 wrinkled areas under the back of the scoop, nevermind the sides. Makes me disgusted. :angry22:

Hey, I was down by my mothers in hilton head S.C and the ford dealer had 12 or13 of the Vista blues on his lot. He even had a blow out sale and supposely not one sold. This info came from the dodge dealership that's across the street sale's manager know's the italian handshake and his an ex long islander. Plus he loves driving his customers threw the ford dealership and pointing out the unsold shelby's!! Typical italian :censored:, I should know I'm a member!!

Hey, I was down by my mothers in hilton head S.C and the ford dealer had 12 or13 of the Vista blues on his lot. He even had a blow out sale and supposely not one sold. This info came from the dodge dealership that's across the street sale's manager know's the italian handshake and his an ex long islander. Plus he loves driving his customers threw the ford dealership and pointing out the unsold shelby's!! Typical italian :censored:, I should know I'm a member!!

Your dodge buddy probably got told today that they were shutting his doors. :banghead:

man thats ugly. I purchased mine in December and stripes are good...so far, but i too will paint them if I have to replace them. I was thinking of having them "Ghost" in there. I think that would be unique.

On another note...Can you get me the CSM# for the GO if you get a chance? the reason i ask, and I will post soon, is that I am going to create our own 2008 Grabber Orange Shelby GT Registry, and I want to try to see where all cars are at, even if at a dealer still.

Man makes me scared when I see that. I only have 500 miles on my vert and the car never sees rain, hope this never happens. But man was I pissed today when I was stretching her legs and looking through my windshield and seeing 4-5 wrinkled areas under the back of the scoop, nevermind the sides. Makes me disgusted. :angry22:

Are you getting them fixed and scoop replaced so it doesn't happen again?

Archived