TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Opinions on a V8 Terlingua (custom)

socalwrench

Well... (gulp) I have sold my Shelby GT. That's the bad news. The good news is that I still have my daily driver- Mustang GT. I have liked the Terlingua appearance for a long time. I need to stress something here- I AM NOT BUILDING A TRIBUTE, CLONE or SHELBY NAMED car. I was thinking about possibly using the Terlingua hood, side graphics, decals and side exhaust setup.

I was wondering how you people would feel about me putting Terlingua 'touches' on my V8 Mustang?

Besides, didn't Carroll Shelby and others put the decals on many of their Mustang race cars?

I think you're in a real tough spot. No matter what you say, when someone with a little familiarity with the object of your admiration looks at a Terlingua-ized car, he'd going to think "Hm ... a clone? Tribute? Rip-off?" You can explain to the high heavens, but if it looks too much like a duck, walks and talks too much like a duck, the assumption is inevitable.

The performance stuff is generic, sort of; once you get into graphics, it's a different matter.

As for Shelby and cohort putting Terlingua stuff on other cars, they "owned" the stuff and the cars. You and I just borrow the stuff to put on our cars. Maybe we like it enough to weather the slings and arrows, maybe not.

And if I recall correctly the putting-on of stuff in period was mainly just the chrome-backed Terlingua Racing Team stickers on other racecars, and not always with permission or elevated intent.

For my part, I have two pairs of the TRT shields, in two sizes, all on magnetic backing, so I can put and remove them quickly and easily.

I also have a full set of Terlingua Bull Run stickers (except the numbers), and I can't imagine putting them on a car that wasn't there and did that.

I do have a very nice California Personalized License Plate. Any offers for "TRLNGWA"?

I think a black car with yellow stripes and a Terlingua sticker on the back window would be acceptable. I think the side exhaust and a CS6 hood would be OK, but I wouldn't put the logo on the hood. I would also put the razor wheels on it, but I think that putting the side graphics/decals would be over the line.

It would make a great looking car without being too much. You may still get a few nay-sayers but I think it is ok to pay hommage to Shelby/Terlingua without copying/tribute-ing the car.

Just my $.02

GRAPHICS:

Alright, I need to be more specific in regards to the side graphics- I was ONLY referring to the side stripes, NOT the paint scheme. I would also NOT ever think about using the top stripes OR decals.

Basically, I feel sort of 'kicked out' of the club- so to speak- since I sold my SGT. I just wanted to put the Terlingua shield decals (chrome) on the fenders and possibly the side rocker stripes with the rabbit (like the original). My car is white, and so I would be using black side stripes. You can see the picture with the stripes.

HOOD:

And, I only want to use the hood (for heat extraction design- somewhat functional), and NOT the hood logo.

WHEELS:

I will NOT be using the Terlingua wheels, aka the Razor wheels. They aren't my taste, that's all.

MODS:

-side exhaust (doing this anyway)

-Terlingua shield decals (on the fenders)

-CS6 hood (eventually)

-*MAYBE* side graphics (1967 design)

Oh, and one last thing, NO WHERE on the car will it say Shelby. I have nothing but respect for the man, his cars, and his companies. Feel free to give your opinions- since I'm asking for them. Maybe, if someone is nice enough- I could join a new 'club'.

Teroldmustang03-1024.jpg

I never had problems with tributes, just clones.

I would definitely buy the CS8 Package so you can tell people it's a real Shelby.

Plus you are getting all the parts you need to complete your Terlingua project.

With out the side exhaust, of course.

It's really difficult for me to admit this- I simply needed the money. It took a long time to save up for the SGT, and I had it for a while. At the time I got it, I already had my Mustang GT (MGT) for a driver. This way I wouldn't have to worry about getting the SGT dirty, etc. Anyway, I'm not making as much money as I did and my wife needing a truck for the horses. What it really came down to is: having two cars for myself when my wife needed a truck. It was the right decision, although it doesn't make it any easier. I must admit that making her happy gives me great joy. Love makes you do crazy things.

So, to get my mind off the SGT, I am going to do some small things to my MGT. I was thinking that a few Terlingua touches would be nice. I mean, guys put Terlingua decals on their SGT cars all the time.

It's really difficult for me to admit this- I simply needed the money. It took a long time to save up for the SGT, and I had it for a while. At the time I got it, I already had my Mustang GT (MGT) for a driver. This way I wouldn't have to worry about getting the SGT dirty, etc. Anyway, I'm not making as much money as I did and my wife needing a truck for the horses. What it really came down to is: having two cars for myself when my wife needed a truck. It was the right decision, although it doesn't make it any easier. I must admit that making her happy gives me great joy. Love makes you do crazy things.

So, to get my mind off the SGT, I am going to do some small things to my MGT. I was thinking that a few Terlingua touches would be nice. I mean, guys put Terlingua decals on their SGT cars all the time.

I don't know anyone that isn't tight on $ these days honestly. Good for you that you made the rational decision. I'm sure many more of us will be faced with similar dilemmas as time goes on.

As for the Terlingua stuff, do what you want. 99% of people don't know what the TRT stuff is anyway, so who cares? It looks cool and most enthusiasts will appreciate it.

I just wouldn't build an all out clone of the new Terlinguas, but that's just me. I have TRT decals on my SGT and I've never met anyone outside of the track or shows that can figure out why I have a rabbit on my Mustang! :hysterical:

Ken

See sig pic. I am a paying member of TRT as are others, I figure it gives me the right to put Terlingua whatever I want on my car. However, I would not use the grille, or the faux gas cap, or the true gas cap. Nor would I put Lucifer on the hood. I am fine with my SGT stripe package and would not change it for the world. BUT, I DO WANT THE HOOD. I also dont care too much for the Razors. I say different strokes for diff folks. So in the long run its your car, do with it what YOU want.

Chris

Thanks Chris- I was beginning to feel a negative vibe with this topic.

I would never allow anyone to tell me what to do with my car. In the end, I will do what I want anyway. I was just asking for opinions to get a general consensus about it. If I put the decals on my car- I will promptly pay my membership fee.

Thanks Chris- I was beginning to feel a negative vibe with this topic.

I would never allow anyone to tell me what to do with my car. In the end, I will do what I want anyway. I was just asking for opinions to get a general consensus about it. If I put the decals on my car- I will promptly pay my membership fee.

Do what you want with it. It's your car and your money. You only live once. Don't worry what the "purist" thinks... :shift:

What it really came down to is: having two cars for myself when my wife needed a truck. It was the right decision, although it doesn't make it any easier. I must admit that making her happy gives me great joy. Love makes you do crazy things.

Aww. :wub:

socal'

It doesn't sound to me that you're trying to pass a car off as something it's not.

That would be my only objection to anyone; modding their car in a deceitful way, that is.

Performance-wise the Terlingua's and the SGT's are very similar with the engine/weight distribution being the major difference....(oh, & brakes). With your GT the same will apply.

Have fun with it! If SAI ever releases the hood seperately, I think a lot of folks will be buying one.

And don't sweat the $$$ thing. I'm shedding assets left & right to keep my business afloat right now. Come July, if nothing has changed, my GT500 will be out the door :cry: Hopefully I can sell my lake property first!

Well... (gulp) I have sold my Shelby GT. That's the bad news. The good news is that I still have my daily driver- Mustang GT. I have liked the Terlingua appearance for a long time. I need to stress something here- I AM NOT BUILDING A TRIBUTE, CLONE or SHELBY NAMED car. I was thinking about possibly using the Terlingua hood, side graphics, decals and side exhaust setup.

I was wondering how you people would feel about me putting Terlingua 'touches' on my V8 Mustang?

Besides, didn't Carroll Shelby and others put the decals on many of their Mustang race cars?

They should offer a V8 Terlingua

Thanks guys and gals. At this point I will probably just run the Terlingua shield decal, and some sort of side exhaust setup.

I want to make the trip some day too.

So Cal,

If it ,helps you feel better I am wanting to do the same. I enjoy all muscle cars. Shelby's, and mustangs are long time favorites. My son and I want to build a Terlingua. Preferably a 1967 coupe. With us having so many cars already I kinda feel guilty. My other family members have wants to. Good for you, in sharing with your spouse. Sorry you feel left out, this club is supposed to be for enthusiast and owners alike. I as others can see you have respect for Mr. Shelby. I can't see in anything wrong with you for trying to enjoy your car the way you want to. Customization is what's so great about the mustangs. Who knows, maybe we can get a group together and head over to Terlingua in a convoy. Would be fun.

Take care

Jeff

To be honest, the CS8 doesn't get a CSM number or even a plaque- how much of a real Shelby is it? Not much more than just putting on Shelby parts (like the clones).

Really?

Wtf?

hmmm well that sucks...

I say go all out Terlingua V-8... as long as you don't claim its a "authorized" Terlingua. So I wonder how a V-8 with all of the upgrades like the V-6 would do against each other.... I've said it before and I will say it again, maybe we who own a SGT should have the opportunity to convert our cars into a Terlingua ala V-8 :happy feet: .

Just my $.02,,,,,do what makes ( YOU ) happy,,,its your car .502744_R1_06_5A.jpg

502744_R1_06_5A.jpg

To be honest, the CS8 doesn't get a CSM number or even a plaque- how much of a real Shelby is it? Not much more than just putting on Shelby parts (like the clones).

GT-500's don't get a CSM number either. Both CS-6 and CS-8 get a plaque. You can't get the plaque or even the side stripes without showing that the car has been built to specifications.

:glare: Why do you think there is a CS section on this website. I don't see a section for clones!

Well, I know there was a big issue concerning the plaques for the CS models. You would think that with all the hassle of making sure the CS car is correctly built- they could record the VIN number. It's really not an issue at this point because for the money I would spend on building a CS8- I could have just kept my SGT.

Thanks for the replies.

Look, with all due respect, I don't want to get into the cost of a CS8. It's $8k for the level 1 (Turn 1) package. My credit card wouldn't care what the purchase was for. There's little difference making a monthly payment to a bank for a car loan or to a credit card for a purchase.

Look, with all due respect, I don't want to get into the cost of a CS8. It's $8k for the level 1 (Turn 1) package. My credit card wouldn't care what the purchase was for. There's little difference making a monthly payment to a bank for a car loan or to a credit card for a purchase.

It's your car,,just do it,,and be happy. :shift: ,,just my $.02,,,drive and enjoy.Picture_001.jpg " is entitled to all rights ,privileges,and good times appertaining thereto !! "

It's your car,,just do it,,and be happy. :shift: ,,just my $.02,,,drive and enjoy.Picture_001.jpg " is entitled to all rights ,privileges,and good times appertaining thereto !! "
which is a clone ,,,I have both,,in saying so ,,if any of us have these on our cars,,does that make it a clone Terlingua ???,,,I hope someone is getting my point here.Picture_001.jpg

Picture_001.jpg

Archived