TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Desperate Measures

andrewnagle1964

Report: GM to Sell Chinese Cars in U.S. in 2011

3q6j7661_2.png

Motown may be moving east. Far east.

The latest twist in Detroit’s do-over has General Motors becoming the first automaker to import Chinese-built cars into the United States, according to Automotive News.

Citing a leaked document shown to lawmakers who are overseeing the restructuring of the auto giant, the newspaper reports that GM is planning to market made in China cars to American consumers as early as 2011, the same year the company’s heralded Chevrolet Volt electric car goes on sale.

General Motors is currently the best-selling foreign automaker in China, and Buick is number one brand overall, part of the reason that the nameplate was saved during a recent round of cuts that included the elimination of Pontiac. As an example of the growing influence of that marketplace on the company, the interior of the upcoming replacement for the Buick LaCrosse sedan was designed at a GM studio in Shanghai.

According to the report, GM plans to sell nearly 18,000 Chinese-made vehicles in the US in 2011, with that number rising to over 50,000 by 2014.

General Motors currently imports the Chevrolet Aveo and Pontiac G3 from South Korea, and several other models from Canada, Mexico and Europe. The United Auto Workers union has been critical of any plans to move more production overseas.

If that happens you guys are right.........We are going Communist............. :censored:

Hay don't be knocking....This is a good car. It comes with a deck and blade, so you can cut your lawn too. I think that its a $40 option, bringing the total MSRP to $3040.

I also read that GM may be moving its headquarters away from Detroit....Hong Kong, perhaps?

Hey, maybe they'll revive the Vega after all!! :yahoo:

If that happens you guys are right.........We are going Communist............. :censored:

I can't believe you said that, WTF?

Now that Medicare is upside down and paying out more than it takes in, they want to bring another 120 million people on board with it. They also plan to help fund this by taxing people that get their health insurance through their employers, about 65% of us. Makes sense to me, I have to pay my own . . . actually, even though it won't cost me, I'm still against it.

Archived