TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anti-Theft Devices

Ok, received my VIN and hope to take delivery in several months. Now that I have my dream car on the way I want to make sure no one enjoys it without my permission. What is the best anti-theft device going? After some research I have pretty much decided on the Ravelco, but I am still open to other options.

Thanks

There are a lot of good deterrents out there, but I use the word deterrent because I have learned that no matter what you put on your car if a good thief wants your car that bad then they will get it. Just some simple things such as always keeping your windows rolled up when you park somewhere, parking under street lights/ parking lot lights, not keeping valuables in site inside the car will help. But how many times have you been in a parking lot and hear a car alarm go off and pay no mind, true some devices may work to an extent, but being complacent and careless can get your car yanked too. I have been an installer of car alarms for over 10 years and I plan on installing a viper system in mine with the works. It also comes down to the quality of the install too. When I do alarms I remove a good portion of the dash and wrap every wire with the factory wire loom just so it doesnt give the thief an easy chance to disable the alarm, but I know this only buys a few extra minutes.

There are a lot of good deterrents out there, but I use the word deterrent because I have learned that no matter what you put on your car if a good thief wants your car that bad then they will get it. Just some simple things such as always keeping your windows rolled up when you park somewhere, parking under street lights/ parking lot lights, not keeping valuables in site inside the car will help. But how many times have you been in a parking lot and hear a car alarm go off and pay no mind, true some devices may work to an extent, but being complacent and careless can get your car yanked too. I have been an installer of car alarms for over 10 years and I plan on installing a viper system in mine with the works. It also comes down to the quality of the install too. When I do alarms I remove a good portion of the dash and wrap every wire with the factory wire loom just so it doesnt give the thief an easy chance to disable the alarm, but I know this only buys a few extra minutes.

A determined thief will always get the car--i had one stolen by a guy with a rollback from my driveway while i slept,and Im a light sleeper.I have Lojack in all my non-Gm cars --at least when its stolen,it can be located by the police.My GM cars have OnStar in them,which also is a car locator as well--dont know if Ford has that product.

P1010024.jpg

actually there are some gps services that would allow YOU and some vigilantes to get your car. also the GPS services allow you to see where your car is how fast its going give auto updates to friend and families when traveling via text

SPOT is one. its not really a security device but adaptive to be so quite well

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

Lojack or boomerang. I think Boomerang is the Canadian version of Lojack? Anyway. They have a return rate of over 95% of vehicles returned to thier owners WITHIN ONE HOUR of theft time. They notify police for recovery and arrange for you to get to the vehicle.

They also have a little fob that stays on your key chain. If the car moves, even rolls a few feet when this key fob is not near the vehicle, they call you right away. If you don't respond, they just begin the dispatch on the car.

Amazing service.

Lojack or boomerang. I think Boomerang is the Canadian version of Lojack? Anyway. They have a return rate of over 95% of vehicles returned to thier owners WITHIN ONE HOUR of theft time. They notify police for recovery and arrange for you to get to the vehicle.

They also have a little fob that stays on your key chain. If the car moves, even rolls a few feet when this key fob is not near the vehicle, they call you right away. If you don't respond, they just begin the dispatch on the car.

Amazing service.

lojack has on inteersting maketting plan.They give the recovery gear to the police dept where the signal comes in from the car,and ten give the cop a bonus for finding the car as well.I dont know if they can keepit,or turn it over to the police dept,but its pretty craetve.You have to make sure though that they have good coverage in neighboring areas and states.

• 3 weeks later...

I have LoJack on my '06 GT. I was thinking about putting it on the '10 GT500 when I get it. This is from the 2010 GT500 order guide as part of standard equipment. Does anyone know any details about this? I can't find any reliable info...it almost looks like the equivalent of an alarm system. Not sure if it's worth justifying anything above LoJack. :unsure:

security.jpg

My 05 GT had the perimeter alarm aka motion sensor from the factory, the same as above. If the car is locked/armed and someone tries to enter the vehicle thru the window the sensor will pick up the motion and sound the alarm. The other part of that security is an inclination which means once the vehicle physically passes a certain angle it will sound the alarm, ie getting towed. Its definitely nothing above lojack, its pretty basic imo and and going to be adding aftermarket security to my car.

My 05 GT had the perimeter alarm aka motion sensor from the factory, the same as above. If the car is locked/armed and someone tries to enter the vehicle thru the window the sensor will pick up the motion and sound the alarm. The other part of that security is an inclination which means once the vehicle physically passes a certain angle it will sound the alarm, ie getting towed. Its definitely nothing above lojack, its pretty basic imo and and going to be adding aftermarket security to my car.

looks to me all it does is make noise--if you want a tracker/locator you'll need something else.

looks to me all it does is make noise--if you want a tracker/locator you'll need something else.

That is correct, its only a deterrent so once they get in or snip your battery cables its game over. I always install a backup battery with my alarms, just makes it a little more difficult to shut it up but like I said if they want it bad enough they will get it.

Archived