TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT?

EL SHELBY

I came across this in a random image search of a Shelby GT. The first thing I saw was the totaled SGT, I nearly cried. :cry: Then I saw what was done with the SGT. I can understand the transfer of the salvageable parts but moving the Shelby dash plaque feels wrong. :doh:

What do you think?

http://www.compauto.net/Projects001/Shelby...T/Shelby500.htm

I'm not sure what to think. They did a nice job though. And as long as they tell the buyer it isn't an original Shelby it seems okay. They should make their own dash badging and make a name for themselves IMO.

I came across this in a random image search of a Shelby GT. The first thing I saw was the totaled SGT, I nearly cried. :cry: Then I saw what was done with the SGT. I can understand the transfer of the salvageable parts but moving the Shelby dash plaque feels wrong. :doh:

What do you think?

http://www.compauto.net/Projects001/Shelby...T/Shelby500.htm

Looks like alot of money and time spent on a clone, :hysterical: ,,how can they run the dash plaque,,the vin is not the same as the car used to rebuild the car ( a V6 mustang at that ) :headscratch:

It's sad to see, however this sort of thing just makes the real Shelby GT's more valuable over the years.

This is my local speed shop---they have destroyed every Shelby (GT and GT500's) they have got their hands on. Every one of them has competition auto all over it. Owner of the shop lives in my neighborhood.

If you can get the CSM # for Roger Sorel I'm sure that it will get noted in the SAI registry.

Steve

When is a Shelby GT not a Shelby GT? I thought I knew but now I know for sure. This just isn't right. Remove the badges, please!

However, P.T. Barnum will be proven right again, some sucker will buy it. :lurk:

They should have never moved the badging.

I think it should be illegal!!! It's basically counterfeiting. Carroll has sued other companies for infringement, this is something that he should be made aware of more than someone printing a tee shirt without his permission. I'm not saying that the tee shirt is okay, I'm saying that this totally wrong!!! This could be turned around and give Shelby a bad name for all the wrong reasons. Just my $0.02, rant over.

They should have never moved the badging. Other than that, fine work except for "Competition GT" all over it.

+1

The only way to verify these cars is the registry and the VIN. Other than that all the parts that make up and SGT can be had in the open market and someone that wants to create a clone can do it. In the end the CSM mapped to the VIN will be the only way to separate the two.

I think it should be illegal!!! It's basically counterfeiting. Carroll has sued other companies for infringement, this is something that he should be made aware of more than someone printing a tee shirt without his permission. I'm not saying that the tee shirt is okay, I'm saying that this totally wrong!!! This could be turned around and give Shelby a bad name for all the wrong reasons. Just my $0.02, rant over.

This is a good point. It's like when guys were taking the front clips with the VIN # off R code cobrajets and Bosses that were found in boneyards and then putting them on another vehicle then sold as original.

When is a Shelby GT not a Shelby GT? I thought I knew but now I know for sure. This just isn't right. Remove the badges, please!

However, P.T. Barnum will be proven right again, some sucker will buy it. :lurk:

Right now they only use it as a display car for shows...but who knows in the future.

Well I suppose I could do that since I see the car everyday on the way to work...not sure if Roger wants it though or if he cares.

Send it to me. I'll make sure it gets noted in the registry. In 20 years you'll make somebody happy by not buying a fake.

Dave

This was common practice in the 60s 70s and 80s,ask where the throw away went to and check to see if its VIN #s are intact;money says they are gone;In the classic Shelby game this is a re-body,And trust me, several re-bodies done by skilled rebuilders are floating already.

as time goes on buyer beware!!!

Doc Scott

This car has not been back in their parking lot since this post was started. I have to believe they are here in the threads reading and know we are looking to get the number. I will keep looking everyday. It will turn up at local shows also as they sponsor some clubs and shows.

This was common practice in the 60s 70s and 80s,ask where the throw away went to and check to see if its VIN #s are intact;money says they are gone;In the classic Shelby game this is a re-body,And trust me, several re-bodies done by skilled rebuilders are floating already.

as time goes on buyer beware!!!

Doc Scott

I'm going to agree with Doc Scott on this one. In the 60's particularly, many a race car was "re-created" following crashes. In those days most race cars at all levels were actually started out as real cars that were modified for racing. Even the Ford sponsored Trans Am series "Boss 302" cars were not really Boss 302s but in fact carried a standard Mustang V.I.N. Over the years the Shelby American Auto Club (SAAC) has done an excellent job of identifying condition, status, etc of vintage Shelby's. This is where Team Shelby and the current Shelby Registry needs to go with the new cars. Rather then worry about what is real and what is not, any current Shelby needs to be tagged in the Registry as a re-build, heavily modified, modified for racing, etc. Any person wanting to buy one of the later Shelbys at least will have a research tool to avoid getting "had" by a Shelby that is not what it seems. The value is not there yet to get too excited about Shelby re-builds entering the market but rest assured, if the later Shelby's reach collectible status in, say 20 years, every V.I.N. will come out of the woodwork and get attached to a Mustang. In 1983 I had a guy approach me at a car show offering to sell me a title and door data plate to a 1966 GT-350-H to match my first restored Mustang, you got it, my car was a 1966 Hertz clone car which I had clearly marked as "Replica". (I did NOT buy) :headscratch: Buyer always beware, use the Shelby Registry, use Car Fax, use DMV files, use appraisors that understand Shelbys, and ask a lot of questions.

So if some one(scum) really wanted to could they transfer the vin and and the all the rest of the Shelby things and would we know? is it possible? on any of our cars SGT, SGT-H,C, GT500,-KR or the SS? If so how could we tell?

You can not transfer a VIN, ask Unique Performance how well that worked out for'um!

:hysterical:

Re-building salvage cars and creating new ones via the "re-body" is one of those topics that is rampant with legal land mines. Each state has it's own interpretation of what re-builders can and cannot do. For example, I personally have a problem with the new and complete 60's Mustang and Camaro bodies that are being sold by reputable vendors. These "new bodies" are even licensed by the manufacturers and will make their way underneath vehicle identification numbers of rare Mustangs / Camaros. The salvage and re-builders are a powerful lobby in most states and usually make sure enough "gray areas" are written into law that gives them pretty much an open hand to do what they want to make a buck. Buyers just have to do their homework. The key word in all of this is FRAUD and what the seller claims his re-built car to be or not to be, that is the question. :headscratch:

2 points here.

1. It it not and never will be a Shelby

2. The VIN's match to a CSM, very easy to ID a re-bodied car, identify and document in the registry.

And if someone just happens to obtain the CSM, I will take it out of circulation, never to be used again. Legitimately, that is. We receive several requests, daily to verify VIN's to CSM's and we answer them all.

Keep us posted. It helps maintain the integrity of the Brand and our cars and protects future owners.

rogers@shelbyautos.com

2 points here.

1. It it not and never will be a Shelby

2. The VIN's match to a CSM, very easy to ID a re-bodied car, identify and document in the registry.

And if someone just happens to obtain the CSM, I will take it out of circulation, never to be used again. Legitimately, that is. We receive several requests, daily to verify VIN's to CSM's and we answer them all.

Keep us posted. It helps maintain the integrity of the Brand and our cars and protects future owners.

rogers@shelbyautos.com

Thanks Ross, this is exactly the message that needs to be sent regarding re-bodies and other creative use of salvage Shelby products. The key is killing the CSM number as the Ford issued V.I.N that matches a CSM can be creatively re-used by re-builders with title. Ebay has had several salvage Shelby products listed of late, most of which could never be re-built. The fact such salvage is even listed on Ebay should set off alarms. Truth is unscrupulous people will simply buy the totally NOT rebuildable Shelby, then go find a less wrecked Mustang, then Poof, the Shelby numbers, parts, CSM, Ford V.I.N. all get transferred to the other Mustang. The complexity of some State laws on this topic facilitate this Fraud. If anyone is interested, go to MyForida.com, click on Florida Statutes, search auto salvage. Even a layman can see the obvious issues. Team Shelby and the Shelby Registry will play a vital role in protecting consumers. thanks again for Shelby Autos help and continued support of maintaining the integrity of Shelby Autos and parts. :shift:

Archived