TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is your Shelby GT500 Rust-Proofed from the Dealer?

ColdwaterHotrod

Would you or Did you Rust-Proof your Shelby GT500?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Would you or Did you Rust-Proof your Shelby GT500?

• YES
    • NO

OK folks,

Here's the story...... I just returned from the dealer where I bought my car. I dropped it off tonight so they could put the Environmental Paint & Interior package on it as agreed in return for getting the car at MSRP (Fair deal to me & it beats paying the ADM).

I just learned that the package also includes Rust-Proofing the car with an almost clear-ish light yellow wax based material that stays sticky & it has a lifetime warrantee. My only concern is they don’t tape off all the areas they are going to apply it to, like all the door seams, wheel wells, under the hood, inside the gas cap area, under the rocker panels & inside the trunk seams area. This stuff always stays tacky & looks like it will hold any & all dirt that ever touches it so it can always be seen when any of the doors are open, hood, trunk and gas cap. So over the years it gets darker with the dirt. You can scratch it off with your finger nail, but still not sure what to do?

Has anyone here had this done to your car (especially a white one) and what are your thoughts on the things I mentioned above? I have until 8:30am in the morning to call them & tell them to continue or Stop with the Rust-proofing or to credit my account for oil changes. Please give me you thoughts on this as if it was your car. Thanks.

:banghead:

STOP IT!! unless you plan to drive it in the winter and your area dumps salt. You're right, it stays soft and boy does it ever accumulate dirt. That yellow will look black in no time. Good product IF you need it.

By the way, since when does ext paint and interior package includes rustproofing........that's bs, they are pushing you............lots of markup on all 3 by the way, I know, use to sell it when I was a Finance Manager at Ford years ago. Don't do it..............if fact, I'd bail on all 3 if you can

Back in "The day" Before cars were E coated when the unibody was first created, it made good sense to have it done. It's of small benefit on today's cars even when driven year round in salt climes IMHO. In a couple months I hope to be joining you ...You lucky dog!

:banghead:

STOP IT!! unless you plan to drive it in the winter and your area dumps salt. You're right, it stays soft and boy does it ever accumulate dirt. That yellow will look black in no time. Good product IF you need it.

By the way, since when does ext paint and interior package includes rustproofing........that's bs, they are pushing you............lots of markup on all 3 by the way, I know, use to sell it when I was a Finance Manager at Ford years ago. Don't do it..............if fact, I'd bail on all 3 if you can

It's a teflon paint protection & stain gaurd for the interior. Those I can live with. The huge ADM I could not so spending $500 this way kept the salesguy & sales manager happy since they got no ADM.

It's a teflon paint protection & stain gaurd for the interior. Those I can live with. The huge ADM I could not so spending $500 this way kept the salesguy & sales manager happy since they got no ADM.

How about an upgrade on a warranty to help them out? I'm going to go that route.....even though I'll probably never get to use it.

If it's mainly to keep them happy, then just give them $500 and ask them not to do the work. Or give them each a $200 gift certificate to a nice restaurant.

I did it to a 2002 Landcruiser once. It was the worst mistake I had made in a long time. That :censored: dripped off my car into my garage for six months.. Heard nothing but BS from the dealer. It caught rocks and debris and made a horrible mess. Just my opinion.

the stuff Coldwater is referring to will not drip........wax based called parafin but stays gummy and accumulates lots of road dirt........will go black for sure. Again.........NO!!!

If it's mainly to keep them happy, then just give them $500 and ask them not to do the work. Or give them each a $200 gift certificate to a nice restaurant.

Leather interior? Stain guard? Sounds not like a good thing. Maybe you buy something else from them to keep everyone honorable and in happyland :happy feet:

OK folks,

Here's the story...... I just returned from the dealer where I bought my car. I dropped it off tonight so they could put the Environmental Paint & Interior package on it as agreed in return for getting the car at MSRP (Fair deal to me & it beats paying the ADM).

I just learned that the package also includes Rust-Proofing the car with an almost clear-ish light yellow wax based material that stays sticky & it has a lifetime warrantee. My only concern is they don’t tape off all the areas they are going to apply it to, like all the door seams, wheel wells, under the hood, inside the gas cap area, under the rocker panels & inside the trunk seams area. This stuff always stays tacky & looks like it will hold any & all dirt that ever touches it so it can always be seen when any of the doors are open, hood, trunk and gas cap. So over the years it gets darker with the dirt. You can scratch it off with your finger nail, but still not sure what to do?

Has anyone here had this done to your car (especially a white one) and what are your thoughts on the things I mentioned above? I have until 8:30am in the morning to call them & tell them to continue or Stop with the Rust-proofing or to credit my account for oil changes. Please give me you thoughts on this as if it was your car. Thanks.

Write the check. Call it an ADM and get over it, but DON'T put that crap on or in your car!!!!!!!!!

:shift:

bj

A couple of other considerations. It makes mods under the car much more difficult as well. And adds weight.

IMO, a good undercarrige wash every few washes is a much more effective way to prevent concern. And being familiar with all parts of the car at close quarters helps with suprise damage assessment.

..late to the parade but I agree with the rest. Undercoating only made sense decades ago when the car makers implemented no type of effective corrosion resistance. Times have changed, and cars are essentially corrosion proof for decades "if" you take proper care of them. In fact, the undercoating may actually make it more difficult to properly clean and flush the car correctly.

John

CWHR,

Don't do it. I have judged mustangs for years. The rust proofing sprayed from underneath always seems to find its way into the engine compartment. I have seen '04 cobras with dirty engine compartments only to find it wasn't "dirt" at all it was the undercoating!!! Ugh! Looked terrible! You may have a dealer who is a bit more careful with how it's applied, but I wouldn't take the chance.

First off I would like to thank you all for your comments & input on this subject. My gut feeling that I had the moment they told me about this sticky yellowish rust-proofing material served me well like it has so many other times in the past. If it had been another color I might not have been so concerned, but with Performance White, NO WAY!

As of 7:15 am this morning I called them & said DO NOT PUT THIS RUST-PROOFING CRAP ON MY CAR. As far as the Paint protection & Interior stain/leather treatment goes those services I can live with because this service was paid up front when I bought the car. Yes, I could have done it myself, but finding the time over the next several winter months was going to be tough for me. So I am happy that they were willing to be flexible on this additional service package by allowing me to change it, plus the sales person still keeps his commissions & I get some oil changes in exchange when the time comes.

Again thanks to all that provided input in such a short time frame, you’re all a bunch of good knowledgeable people that I hope to one day get the pleasure to me at future Shelby meets.

Take care, CWHR

Archived