TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Beautiful Steering Wheel Center Option

5/12/09

On Saturday I was at Tampa Bay Shelby. They had diagnosed a wire connection fault in the Predator air/fuel map puck on the Shelby/Paxton S/C system. All better now - no forced engine shutdown, no codes and running great. While I was there I purchased a couple of billet accessories that they had made for customers. The first item is a billet key chain. They have two different sizes and have Shelby GT, Shelby GT/SC and Shelby GT500 versions. They are $10. and for a little more can have your CSM # engraved on them. The second item is a Shelby coin. I used to have a Roush which came with a stamped billet coin and always thought this was cool so I purchased one of these also. These can also be custom cut for an additional amount with your name, CSM#, etc. As I am coming home in traffic I am looking at this coin in the package in my cupholder and realized it is about the same size as the steering wheel cap center that everyone would like to get rid of and many have with alot of work. When I got home a looked more carefully and saw that it would fit within the steering wheel cap indentation so here is what I did. There are four pics attached of this install:

1. Removed the stock cap: Towel wrapped around a round stemmed small flat blade screwdriver and popped off the high quality .10c cover cap that lets down the whole interior of the car (pic #1).

2. Placed the coin in the cneter area. From here you have two options. You can mount as is; there are 7 plastic ribs (pic #2) running vertically with an outline in the cap area. It looks okay if installed this way but sits a little high - you can see the coin width a little bit, so I optioned to remove the ribs. First I mulit-layered painters tape around the cap in case of a slip, then carefully removed the raised ribs with a single edged blade (pic #2). This let the piece be set into the cover looking very highend and original.

3. Installed the coin: Using a dap of silicone adhesive and done! Pics #3 and #4.

I cannot tell you how great this looks. Total time: 15 minutes. Total cost: $25 Total improvement: Priceless. Before I installed mine I spent a few minutes polishing with my dremel, soft pad and buffed. They come with a nice brushed finished. Either would look great; I liked the contrast to the steering wheel spokes and the shine matches the trim rings on the various A/C bezels. Mine says Tampa Bay Shelby which not everyone would want. They have done all of my modifications as noted in previous posts; Shelby/ Paxton, Shelby Big Brake Kit F/R, CS Wheels, etc. plus have provided race support at the NARRA races at Sebring. I am proud to have them on this coin - ugh cap! As with the key chains, they can for a charge put your CSM#, name etc. along the bottom and put their name on the back. Having a one of a kind coin I think they said would be $35 plus mail (not much - padded envelope and regular mail). I have listed Tampa Bay Shelby's contact - phone and email information below. I have seen so many post and follow-ups on the forum for the solution to this let-down part of the interior I though I would post. I picked-up a replacement Ford cover cap for $10 at my dealer to have in my factory original take-offs inventory.

Sincerely,

Doug Nash

DougsBadBlackMustang

Tampa Bay Shelby/Superformance, Inc

An Authorized Shelby/Superformance Dealer

10420 66th St. N #B-7

Pinellas Park, FL 33782-2338

727-545-1572 shop

727-692-1579 cell

www.Tampabayshelby.com

Tampabayshelby@aol.com

www.Shelbyautos.com

Stephen L. Naeger

President / Owner

post-20776-1242131670_thumb.jpg

post-20776-1242131764_thumb.jpg

post-20776-1242131808_thumb.jpg

post-20776-1242131833_thumb.jpg

post-20776-1242131670_thumb.jpg

post-20776-1242131764_thumb.jpg

post-20776-1242131808_thumb.jpg

post-20776-1242131833_thumb.jpg

I didn't realize that the center cap came off the steering wheel so easily, mine had a scratch on it when I bought it at the dealer, they had told me they would replace it, but then the service department said the whole airbag had to be replaced or taken apart to remove it. Nothing like getting in your car and seeing a scratch on right in front of your face everytime you start the car! Does anyone know where I could get an oem replacement for the center cap?

08SGT1289

I didn't realize that the center cap came off the steering wheel so easily, mine had a scratch on it when I bought it at the dealer, they had told me they would replace it, but then the service department said the whole airbag had to be replaced or taken apart to remove it. Nothing like getting in your car and seeing a scratch on right in front of your face everytime you start the car! Does anyone know where I could get an oem replacement for the center cap?

08SGT1289

Just FYI, The OEM center cap w/pony tend to lose their shine after a couple years. I had Ford replace the one on my wife 2006 stang just before the 3yr/36K bumper to bumper warranty expired. The whole airbag unit had to be replaced. They took several photos of her stang (exterior and interior) to submit for approval, including the defective center cap. I was told they only approve them for replacement on stangs that are cleanly maintained, which is why they took several photos. -Steve

That looks nice but I REALLY want a matching steering wheel cap that matches the Faux gas cap, the wheel caps, the engine cap, the arm rest, the head rest, etc...etc...etc..

As I always say, I don't like mix branding. The look, TO ME, needs to be consistent and we have, as far as I'm concerned, the "S" cobra as our car's brand by virtue of the Berg gas cap.

08SGT1289

That's because of safety reasons that Ford does not sell the cap alone. I guess they don't want service techs messing with them and any potential liability that could come from it. Same I'm sure with SAI.

Pray that airbag doesn't have to deploy :cry: You could have a CS inprint in your forehead for the rest of your life. All jokes aside looks good.

That should be a concern though! That's a nice piece of metal there and at the force of an airbag deployment if it came loose and shot out in front of your face, well, not sure for all the looks it's a good idea!

lol on the air bag comments. This looks great, good eye and great idea.

Phillip87 - where did you get that steering wheel? I've told everyone I can think of about my idea of making one, but yours looks just like the one I thought of in y head.

Jim

5/14/09

Although you can just barely see it looking across the airbag steering wheel cover, the bag cover splits in two vertically. I assumed people knew this. I glued the metal from middle to edge on one side. The coin will fall to one side with the airbag cover on that side, as the factory pony badge does. I have attached a picture of a 2005-08 Mustang front air bag deployment FYI.

That should be a concern though! That's a nice piece of metal there and at the force of an airbag deployment if it came loose and shot out in front of your face, well, not sure for all the looks it's a good idea!

post-20776-1242331231_thumb.jpg

post-20776-1242331231_thumb.jpg

lol on the air bag comments. This looks great, good eye and great idea.

Phillip87 - where did you get that steering wheel? I've told everyone I can think of about my idea of making one, but yours looks just like the one I thought of in y head.

Jim

I love this steering wheel. Go to Woodview.com.

Great quality.............Philip

5/14/09

Although you can just barely see it looking across the airbag steering wheel cover, the bag cover splits in two vertically. I assumed people knew this. I glued the metal from middle to edge on one side. The coin will fall to one side with the airbag cover on that side, as the factory pony badge does. I have attached a picture of a 2005-08 Mustang front air bag deployment FYI.

Unfortunately, there is only one way to know if your engineering calculations are correct, and I pray we never find the answer to that one!

Archived