TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Verts - Anyone converted the rear window switch to auto down?

txcobra

I did some searching, but didn't find anything. I am sure there is a reason Ford didn't do this, but maybe it was purely cost. I would love to have all 3 switches be both Auto down and up. Is it as simple as swapping the switch? Thanks for any guidance here....

Thanks Sherri, I found some posts by Warren with some info. And thank you as well Tispco, this is a great resource as well! Looks like I have to cut wires for this mod, but it is probably worth it!

I have this on my vert. Very simple mod. I installed the switch with the 'auto' script on it as well. Go to WebElectric. They have a kit.

WebElectric

Just read the install instructions. That has got to be one of the easiest mods I have read about.

I wouldn't say the install is easy...You have to remove the wiring harnesses under the passenger kick panel and then carefully remove all the tape holding them together...it is dozens of wires, and although you do get instructions that are fairly accurate, when you have a wire that is blue/yellow and one that is yellow/blue in the same set...it gets a liitle nerve racking...cutting the wrong wire can do havoc on your electrical system. This is one I would have a trained professional put in with you assisting the installer to be a second pair of eyes...that is what I did.

BUT, I love the one touch operation of the top...it works awesome once you get it in! :happy feet:

As DubbsFaris mentioned, the one touch convertible top modification is difficult and requires working on the large wiring harnesses behind the passenger side kick panel. The auto rear windows is a different modification and is an easy mod that requires tapping into three wires under the window switch panel. I have the auto rear windows and not the one touch top.

Yeah, that was my assessment too...I ordered the one touch rear window switch and module last night, but decided to wait on the top. As much as I would like the one touch top, I really don't want to cut wires. Using the easy tap for the rear windows is one thing, cutting wires is another. Thanks for all the great info, I should have my switch by Friday and installed by the weekend!

I wouldn't say the install is easy...You have to remove the wiring harnesses under the passenger kick panel and then carefully remove all the tape holding them together...it is dozens of wires, and although you do get instructions that are fairly accurate, when you have a wire that is blue/yellow and one that is yellow/blue in the same set...it gets a liitle nerve racking...cutting the wrong wire can do havoc on your electrical system. This is one I would have a trained professional put in with you assisting the installer to be a second pair of eyes...that is what I did.

BUT, I love the one touch operation of the top...it works awesome once you get it in! :happy feet:

I was referring to the auto rear window. I agree regarding the auto convertible top, that looks way more involved but it would be a nice mod.

Well - I went ahead and installed the auto down for the rear windows - it's a piece of cake. I also installed the auto top down feature. Know that there is no more cutting required than for the auto window. If you can do that - you can do the top as well. The auto top down also disables the brake light bar when the top is up. The only tricky part to this install is getting the junction box off the kick panel and reversed. And that is really not that difficult. It took me 2 hours to do everything.

And oh - I got a verbal offer yesterday. They're now doing the background check. Should have the letter by Tuesday. :happy feet:

Bring on the Whipple 2.9!!!

Well the best news is that you got the offer, congrats!!! I received my rear window down Module and switch yesterday too and as soon as I opened it, I realized that it was different than the one on the web. I called the guys at WebElectric and they explained that the directions on the web that showed using quick splices was the old module and that they were having trouble with it. The new module (the one I received) requires that you cut two wires and splice two (just like the convertible top switch). He did say I could send it back if I was unhappy with that, but I decided to bite the bullet and cut the two wires. Works great! Should have come this way from the factory. I guess the top switch is next.

One question, since we already had light bars from the 40th pkg and they also kill the brake light when the top is up, how does this work with the new switch? Did you just hook it up as the directions showed?

Well the best news is that you got the offer, congrats!!! I received my rear window down Module and switch yesterday too and as soon as I opened it, I realized that it was different than the one on the web. I called the guys at WebElectric and they explained that the directions on the web that showed using quick splices was the old module and that they were having trouble with it. The new module (the one I received) requires that you cut two wires and splice two (just like the convertible top switch). He did say I could send it back if I was unhappy with that, but I decided to bite the bullet and cut the two wires. Works great! Should have come this way from the factory. I guess the top switch is next.

One question, since we already had light bars from the 40th pkg and they also kill the brake light when the top is up, how does this work with the new switch? Did you just hook it up as the directions showed?

You don't need to do anything if your light already disables when the top is up. I had installed the light bar myself before the package. I didn't set it up to disable at that time.

You don't need to do anything if your light already disables when the top is up. I had installed the light bar myself before the package. I didn't set it up to disable at that time.

Cool, and it's an optional feature, meaning if I don't need that function then I just don't hook up those wires?

did them both this weekend; took about 3 hours w/ several "breaks".

Works awesome, wasn't too complicated. Hardest part was getting the SJB out and turned around, then FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS EXACTLY.

Fantastic mod, easy to install.

Archived