TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Buying a GT500

Hey Guys,

Well, I have been reading on these forums between classes, homework breaks and over lunch at work, for what seems to be exactly a year now. At that point, I was stuck between purchasing a Z06 and a Shelby, but the Z06 is out the question since it will cost me 400 a month just for insurance, as oppose to the Shelby which costs about 200. When I turn 24 my insurance costs will drop, so I can't wait for that. Also, upon a years worth of research, I have came to the conclusion that the Shelby is the best car in terms of modding, period, and I don't think I can ever buy a car and not mod it.

My current car is a 98' Chevy Camaro Z28, I have supercharged it and have some other mods. It puts down 440 RWHP, which is pretty decent for an LS1. But it's time to for me to upgrade. I'm graduating in 13 days, I am lucky enough to have a job lined up and I have already saved up about 7K for a down payment. So I am starting to enter the market for buying a Shelby, but I do want to save up another 3k for a down payment.

Now to the problem, I am stuck between buying an 08 or 09 with the correct build date, so I don't have to worry about TSB or buying a 2010. I know I can buy an 08 or 09 somewhere at around 40k, and I have my hopes up on buying a 2010 for MSRP which is mid 40s.

So, would you rather spend the extra 5k or so, for a 2010 or use it towards a 2.9 Whipple or TVS in an 08-09?

I like the look of the 2010, I think the front looks a little meaner than the 07-09 and I personally don't think the back looks that bad. Right now I am leaning toward a 2010, but the only thing stopping me is the warranty. I would love to have a warranty and I know as soon as I change something it's gone. I just feel more comfortable giving up the warranty on a 07-09 as opposed to the 2010.

Well, sorry for the long post for such a short question, just want to hear some other opinions and thanks for the the knowledge I have gained about the GT500 on this site. Over the past month, it has became a matter of what brand mods I am going to buy (stuck between the TVS and 2.9 Whipple), not the car I am going to buy.

Where in CA are you?? There are many GT500's available for less than $40K. You can get a 8-19-08 and newer build date and not have to worry about getting the TSB done.

Yea, you're probably right, I haven't actually went out to dealerships in search of the car yet because I want to make sure I have all my down payment money. I am they type to jump the gun, so I am scared of test driving it, loving it right away and buying it on the spot, haha. I already love these cars a lot and I can really see that happening.

I am located in the Glendale/Burbank area. I am in San Diego right now going to school, but I am going to buy the car back in LA, since that is where I will be working.

But thanks for the input, I will def. look for something under 40k if I do go with an 08 or 09.

Well if you want to take a trip out to Palm Springs, I will gladly give you a ride in mine and show you some other Mustangs and Muscle cars I have that are 500+ hp. I own a Mustang shop and have 22 cars right now. If interested, PM me and I will give you my cell #..

Alex

Where in CA are you?? There are many GT500's available for less than $40K. You can get a 8-19-08 and newer build date and not have to worry about getting the TSB done.

this is only part true. you can get many for under 40K. However, i dont think the build date is very relevant. I had a build date of Oct '08 and my car has spent a cumulative total of 28 days in the shop having the TSB performed. It's been a total mess, and I thought I was safe with my build date, but I've still had to go through hell with the car.

Ive got an 09 and Ive been hearing about TSB and build dates.. is there something I should look into in terms of reliablity issues? I have no idea what the build date is or what TSB means? Any advice would be apreciated!

I'd get an 09 and mod it. You can get some real sweet deals on them right now. Unless of course you like the 10' model with respects to her new look.

cool, upon thinking a little more, if an 08 or 09 can be bought for under $40k, I might as well go with that route. I can use the extra money for mods, I'll have a lower monthly payment, and I won't feel as bad for losing the warranty in comparison to the 2010.

I'm also going to look into the tax situation brought up because it never hurts to save money for small amount of work.

I have done some searching online for some Shelby's and it seems the asking prices for them are at about $40k and I'm sure I can talk them down, especially since the 2010s should be hitting show rooms pretty soon.....

Ive got an 09 and Ive been hearing about TSB and build dates.. is there something I should look into in terms of reliablity issues? I have no idea what the build date is or what TSB means? Any advice would be apreciated!

I'd get an 09 and mod it. You can get some real sweet deals on them right now. Unless of course you like the 10' model with respects to her new look.

TSB = Technical Service Bulletin In this case most are referring to to clutch, flywheel issues with the older models.

I think you'll find lots of 08's and 09's out there, especially if you're not looking for a convertible, at affordable prices. If you're looking for a mod-happy car with looks that stop traffic, you can't go wrong with a GT 500. I saw a 2010 GT 500 vert at Bristol a few weeks ago. Nice, very nice, maybe it is a little rounder and softer, but that front snout certainly means business......good luck, good hunting and enjoy!

(don't let these other guys fool you, alloy IS the fastest color!)

In this case I think Green is the better color. Unemployment is going to get worse before it gets better. I would keep the green in the bank. Drive what you have until you've completed your first year of employment.

I know, I'm a party pooper

I just want to add something with regard to buying an '08 new-

I bought one that had been at a dealer for a LONG time in a showroom and it had not been started or driven in probably almost a full year. I had a coolant leak with less than 100 miles on the car, it turned out to be the crappy "snap clamps" they use on the radiator hoses. I suspect they may have "relaxed" from sitting for months on end with no heat cycling. I had done a google search and found some threads on this problem. One poor guy had the hose blow off totally and soak his new engine with coolant. (!)

Of interest to me also, is that I found a thread in Google that appeared to be on this website, but when I clicked the link, it had been removed for some reason?

The fix is easy, just replace those crappy snap-clamps with stainless steel worm or band clamps. I'd hate top see someone spin out and crash in a pool of coolant.

Be aware also that right now dealers are getting a $3000 "dealer cash" incentive from Ford that is not advertised. You should be able to get new '08's (if there are any left out there) for under $40K

I just got mine last week.

I hope my post does not get removed. I love my new Shelby. :happy feet:

I bought one that had been at a dealer for a LONG time in a showroom and it had not been started or driven in probably almost a full year. I had a coolant leak with less than 100 miles on the car, it turned out to be the crappy "snap clamps" they use on the radiator hoses.

I bought my 07 last August off the showroom floor, had been sitting there for nearly 2 years (#19 off the line) and the only issue I had was tires that felt like they were square for the first 50 miles or so and then the air pressure monitors determined they were low on air. I gave it a day or so and then aired the up properly.....no problems. The dealer put on an new battery and thoroughly checked everything, and I mean everything, before I drove it off the lot.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the insight on new car that is still a couple years old. Little problems due to the car sitting so much did cross my mind, but I figured the dealer would take care of those problems and they are probably very small things that I can do myself, if necessary.

I was also thinking about investments, but I was always told to put aside at least 10% of my income and save it or invest it, and I have been doing so since I started working right out of high school. Since I knew the earlier I start, the faster the compounding begins. Sadly, at that time I put my money into a mutual fund and I put $100 a month into that account. Now I have about about 4k in that account, which I will not touch. But with the whole stock market situation over this time period, my account isn't worth as much as I put into it. The upside is, I still put the $100 a month, which allows me to buy a higher number of stocks each month, and when the market picks up again I should be good, I hope. Maybe I should start looking for a smarter place to put my money.

Plus, putting only 1k down on a car would make my payments higher than they should be and I would rather save an extra couple hundred a month on a car payment then have an extra money sitting in my account. I would think only putting down 1k would increase the loan amount, which means I would take a bigger hit on the APR and interest, which would make it more expensive in the long run also.

Well, sorry about that rant, and I know the smarter thing to do is to probably just save this money and not buy a car, while working my first year without having to make a car payment but I can't, haha. Now is probably the best time to buy anything. And honestly, I can't think of anything smart to say as to why I should buy the car, but I just really, really want one and I feel as though I can afford it.

I do like the way the 2010 looks, but I'm only willing to spend no more than 5k more than the cost of an 08 or 09. So if that can't happen, the 2010 is out of the question.

I bought one that had been at a dealer for a LONG time in a showroom and it had not been started or driven in probably almost a full year. I had a coolant leak with less than 100 miles on the car, it turned out to be the crappy "snap clamps" they use on the radiator hoses. I suspect they may have "relaxed" from sitting for months on end with no heat cycling. I had done a google search and found some threads on this problem. One poor guy had the hose blow off totally and soak his new engine with coolant. (!)

Of interest to me also, is that I found a thread in Google that appeared to be on this website, but when I clicked the link, it had been removed for some reason?

The fix is easy, just replace those crappy snap-clamps with stainless steel worm or band clamps. I'd hate top see someone spin out and crash in a pool of coolant.

Be aware also that right now dealers are getting a $3000 "dealer cash" incentive from Ford that is not advertised. You should be able to get new '08's (if there are any left out there) for under $40K

I just got mine last week.

I hope my post does not get removed. I love my new Shelby. :happy feet:

had the same thing happen with my '03 10th anniversary Cobra. Hard to believe, but it sat, unsold, on the dealership lot (Framingham Ford) for over a year. I went looking and didn't even realize it was a 10th anniversary edition. Neither did the salesperson. I got it for 4k under sticker and they were only 2003 of the 10th anniversary package made (not sure how many were Ebony verts, but I think the number I think I saw was less than 200). Car overheated about a mile down the road after picking it up, they sent their truck, gave it to their SVT mech and he proceeded to replace all the hoses and clamps.....problem solved.

Archived