TEAM SHELBY FORUM

optima battery

My new Optima red top showed up from Summit today. Here are the pics I just snapped of how it looks installed.

I think it looks really sharp and I like how the red contrasts with most everything else under my hood.

Ken

DSC05485.jpg

DSC05484.jpg

DSC05483.jpg

DSC05482.jpg

Did your stock one die out already?

Oops, bad question. Didn't realize who posted. Bet the stock battery was fine. Just doing a little performance or cosmetic upgrade right? It does look good. Pulls out the Burg on the fuse box :D

how is it weight wise compaired to the stocker?

They're pretty similar actually. I haven't weighed the stock battery, but the Optima weighed in at 39 lb.

Did your stock one die out already?

Oops, bad question. Didn't realize who posted. Bet the stock battery was fine. Just doing a little performance or cosmetic upgrade right? It does look good. Pulls out the Burg on the fuse box :D

LOL you know me better than that ;)

Will this battery last longer and not require a trickle charger when not in use?

Ohhh, whatever you do, try not to let the Optima discharge too far. I have had NO luck with these batteries in cars that aren't daily drivers. I've been through 5 in my '93, all warranty returns. I got so tired of exchanging them, I bought a super-cheap duralast battery from AutoZone, and use the Optima to hold the side door to the garage open. The Duralast battery hasn't missed a beat yet. It seems like a few deep discharges kill these batteries for good.

I actually have a nearly new GOLD Optima battery too, specially commissioned by Champion batteries as a promotion. It's the only one that I know of. Unfortunately it never made it through its first summer. I hate to get rid of it.

I just put a new Interstate Megatron battery in the Porsche today, as it was very slow turning over. I found out that battery was 6 years old. That's pretty good considering the Arizona summers and the heat generated in the engine compartment of a turbocharged car.

Even better, I went to jump in the Shelby tonight for a nice drive, and it had a dead battery. I haven't driven it for two weeks now, that must be the magic number. Did anyone ever figure out why these batteries go dead so quick?

I agree on the Optima not being good for cars that sit for periods of time. After several discharges, they are done. I have 7 cars with Optimas and there is always one that is dead. The $59.99 Autozone batteries work great and start cars that have been sitting for 3-5 months no problem...

Alex

Ohhh, whatever you do, try not to let the Optima discharge too far. I have had NO luck with these batteries in cars that aren't daily drivers. I've been through 5 in my '93, all warranty returns. I got so tired of exchanging them, I bought a super-cheap duralast battery from AutoZone, and use the Optima to hold the side door to the garage open. The Duralast battery hasn't missed a beat yet. It seems like a few deep discharges kill these batteries for good.

I actually have a nearly new GOLD Optima battery too, specially commissioned by Champion batteries as a promotion. It's the only one that I know of. Unfortunately it never made it through its first summer. I hate to get rid of it.

I just put a new Interstate Megatron battery in the Porsche today, as it was very slow turning over. I found out that battery was 6 years old. That's pretty good considering the Arizona summers and the heat generated in the engine compartment of a turbocharged car.

Even better, I went to jump in the Shelby tonight for a nice drive, and it had a dead battery. I haven't driven it for two weeks now, that must be the magic number. Did anyone ever figure out why these batteries go dead so quick?

one_quik_pony

Just wondering if you saw this last week

I was in Scottsdale last week at a conferance, and saw on the Thursday morning News that some politician ( I think in Phoenix) was arrested for speeding- he was” clocked at 109 MPH in a Shelby Mustang at 2:30am”. he was arrested and being held pending bail. They had a tape of the Shelby speeding past a couple of cars.

one_quik_pony

Just wondering if you saw this last week

I was in Scottsdale last week at a conferance, and saw on the Thursday morning News that some politician ( I think in Phoenix) was arrested for speeding- he was” clocked at 109 MPH in a Shelby Mustang at 2:30am”. he was arrested and being held pending bail. They had a tape of the Shelby speeding past a couple of cars.

Yes, I posted a thread out on this on the non-automotive off topic board.

Archived