TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Front end noise over bumps - strut mount

Several weeks ago I noticed a distinct rattle or chuckle sound when going over bumps or rough payment. The sound comes from the front suspension. I searched various forums and found two TSB's related to the problem. TSB-07-18-2 is an upper strut mount problem and TSB 07-23-1 is an upper control arm problem on builds before 2/28/07 (my build date is Jan '07).

I took to the dealer today and they diagnosed a strut mount problem. However, repair was declined by Shelby due to the FRP parts exclusion stating "squeaks, rattles and harsh ride are not subject to warrantable repair". The dealer doesn't agree with the decision and said they would appeal to Ford because the TSB only excludes GT500's. Also the Shelby warranty spedifically states that the FR-3 handling package IS warrantied by Ford for 3 years for defective parts.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Do SGT's use the standard upper strut assemblies or is it unique to the FR-3 package? If standard mounts then it seems to me the TSB applies, if FR-3 mounts are different then they must be defective and, therefore, also covered under warranty. Either way I feel I should be covered.

While the TSB states that the noise is only "body resonance" and doesn't effect operation or get worse, the sound is very distinct and has me worried. I can actually feel the chuckle through the floorboard at low speed. Of course that makes me wonder if its not really another problem, such as UCA.

After 5 hood scoops, the yet to be fixed hood pin problem, and now Shelby's outright repair decline my frustration only grows.

I'm a tad confused- you did say the front strut right? There's no upper control arm. It's a MacPherson strut design. Are you referring to the steering knuckle?

The upper mount clunk noise is very distinct. While some noise is normal- if you can feel it resonate through the cab- that's a bad sign. Basically, the normal noise is like a creak (similar to the way poly bushings sound), and an abnormal sound is like a CV clunk.

that seems to be standard operating procedure with that type of issue these days.

You'll have to wait for the part to break in order for Ford to fix it. They gave me the same exact story for a noisy rear sway bar bracket that had the allen head sheared off, so they couldn't lubricate it (normal "fix" for rattles).

The whole part broke off the sway bar while at the dealers so now they are going to have to replace one bracket, while the other will need at least one more new bolt, as the top one is missing its head!

DSCF2933.jpg

and this is all on a new Shelby with 300 miles!

I had your same problem for some time. When I looked at the front springs I noticed the bottom isolators were not in contact with the with the spring seat, this caused metal to metal contact. I compressed the springs and moved the hose looking isolators so they were seating properly, and that made the clunking sound go away. When I added camber plates I just made sure everything was in its proper location, and now all is quiet.

Thanks for the replies. You've given me some other things to look at. I am talking to the dealer again this week and will keep everyone advised.

socalwrench: I appreciate the correction. There is no upper control arm. TSB 07-23-1 is for the lower control arm.

:lurk: ZEPDAD----Just curious, how many miles on your '07 when your problems started??

We will sure be watching out for this on our car. Glad we bought the extended warranty. Good luck with your dealer

About 18,000 miles, very easily driven, no racing. I too have the extended warranty; however, for now I'm more concerned with the normal 36/36 factory warranty covering the problem.

This weekend I found a way to duplicate the sound while not driving. I pushed and pulled on the strut tower brace to create a gentle side-to-side rocking in the car. It's harder than you think with the stiff suspension. It definitely sounds metal-to-metal from the area of the lower strut(s). I was by myself and couldn't be under the car at the same time so I can't be certain of the location.

Several weeks ago I noticed a distinct rattle or chuckle sound when going over bumps or rough payment. The sound comes from the front suspension. I searched various forums and found two TSB's related to the problem. TSB-07-18-2 is an upper strut mount problem and TSB 07-23-1 is an upper control arm problem on builds before 2/28/07 (my build date is Jan '07).

I took to the dealer today and they diagnosed a strut mount problem. However, repair was declined by Shelby due to the FRP parts exclusion stating "squeaks, rattles and harsh ride are not subject to warrantable repair". The dealer doesn't agree with the decision and said they would appeal to Ford because the TSB only excludes GT500's. Also the Shelby warranty spedifically states that the FR-3 handling package IS warrantied by Ford for 3 years for defective parts.

Do SGT's use the standard upper strut assemblies or is it unique to the FR-3 package? If standard mounts then it seems to me the TSB applies, if FR-3 mounts are different then they must be defective and, therefore, also covered under warranty. Either way I feel I should be covered.

While the TSB states that the noise is only "body resonance" and doesn't effect operation or get worse, the sound is very distinct and has me worried. I can actually feel the chuckle through the floorboard at low speed. Of course that makes me wonder if its not really another problem, such as UCA.

After 5 hood scoops, the yet to be fixed hood pin problem, and now Shelby's outright repair decline my frustration only grows.

Had a similar problem on my 06 daily driver and ended up being strut installed incorrectly. Yes, not sure by installed incorrectly but they loosened it and retightened it and drives like a charm. Probably not the same but check anyway...

I have found that the front and rear sway bar link arm bolts come loose. Sounds like a major clank when going over bumps or rough surfaces. I have since retourqed these bolts to spec and applied loctite to those that keep loosening up. Was not easy to find due to I had to remove the load (unload the suspension)off of the links to find the rattle. My local dealer couldn't find it, so I did. Hope this helps.

Good news. Replacement of the upper strut mounts under TSB 07-18-2 is being covered under warranty. The dealer talked to the Ford rep who talked to someone, who talked to someone...... Finally someone said yes. Despite the Shelby exclusion for "squeaks and rattles" it was determined--maybe with a little help from my red face--that the strut mounts are defective and thus covered under warranty. Let's hope this solves the problem since it actually feels as if the rattle is lower in the suspension and the TSB is for the upper mount assembly. Probably just resonance of the vibration. I'll update when I get the car back.

Car repaired today under warranty as per TSB 07-18-2. All is well, no more front end chuckle or rattle. Both front strut mounts replaced, part #8R3Z18183B plus nuts and bolts. The car actually feels a little tighter but it's probably just my imagination after weeks of it sounding like the front end was coming apart. The moral to the story: Don't take no for an answer. I give some credit to the dealer. They took the battle to Ford and were able to satisfy a customer.

Archived