TEAM SHELBY FORUM

So are you food?

Copied from Shooting Wire

Tip From Tiger: SURPRISE

By Tiger McKee

The main reason some people attack other people - barring mental instability - is because they think they can get away with it. As Clint Smith says, "if you look like food, you'll get eaten." We volunteer to be food by not being aware of our surroundings, and telling predators through nonverbal communication, body language, that are an easy victim. To avoid being a 'target' we present body language that says we're confident and prepared, plus maintain awareness, using our senses to monitor our environment. If forced to fight we counterattack using speed and aggressive actions. We win the fight by forcing our opponent(s) to decide that we're not the victims they expected, or by gaining compliance through gunfire, inflicting enough physical damage that they can't continue to fight.

Body language is critical to not appearing as food. Keep your spine erect, shoulders back, eyes up, and walk with confidence. Shuffling along with your head down, shoulders drooping, and feet scuffing the ground, tells predators you are already beaten, you're just looking for someone to finish you off. When it comes to body language, speak confidently.

Use your senses to maintain awareness of your environment. Keep your eyes up, constantly scanning. While scanning, don't look to make sure everything is alright. This will cause you to miss something important. Get into the habit looking for something out of place, a sign that something is not right. I see possible trouble, and begin formulating my response in advance. Pay attention to your other senses as well. Being visually oriented creatures, we sometimes fail to pay attention to our other senses. You're walking in a parking lot at night when you hear someone running behind you. Look to see who it is and what they are doing. Don't let yourself be surprised you something you should have noticed.

When forced to fight, we immediately respond with aggressive actions. Remember, the attacker isn't expecting you to fight back. Speed, aggression, and surprise are important tactics. "I knew this could happen," you say to yourself, "and I have the skills to solve this problem." There is no time to freeze up or hesitate, and submitting is not an option. By fighting back you may be injured, but we know from recent events that curling up in the fetal position and hoping nothing happens doesn't work out well.

A couple words of advice: Don't overestimate your abilities, and never underestimate your threat(s). These two things will put you in the hurt locker quickly. Practice and improve your skills, planning for the worst case scenario. Stay alert. Judge people on what their capabilities may be, not what you think their intentions are. When it's time to fight, think, and make a decision, and respond immediately with aggressive actions. Make the threat(s) respond to your actions, instead of constantly responding to what's being done to you. Think about it this way - once the fight starts, you become the predator. Surprise!

--Tiger McKee

Tiger is director of Shootrite Firearms Academy, located in northern Alabama, author of The Book of Two Guns (Book of Two Guns) , a staff member of several firearms/tactical publications, and an adjunct instructor for the F.B.I. You can reach Tiger at (256) 582-4777 or learn more about his outstanding instruction at Shootrite Firearms Academy.

I watch a lot of TV and Movies and have picked up a lot on how to defend myself. Rule #1: What ever it takes. Rule #2: See Rule #1.

A Puckerhead threw an insult at me so I tossed one back at him. He walked up and swung at me, I blocked it with my Left and punched him in the Adams Apple with my Right and as he stepped back I kicked him in the Nuts with my Right Foot. As he dropped to his knees I was about to do a Side Kick to his Chest with my Right Foot again but stopped myself half way through the motion because I felt he had enough. He tryed to tell the Cops I started it but between the Video Camers and the Wittnesses, I prevailed and he went to Jail. Since I was NOT the one who called the Cops and HE lied trying to get ME arrested, I decided it would be best to Press Charges so there would be legal documentation. He pled it down and now he and his buddies stays away from me........ :happy feet:

The First Move I saw in a Movie called "Get Shorty". I was going to use a move I saw in "Road House" but I was not in the right stance at the time.

Just so you know, This was the First Time I have EVER gotten into a Fight and the last time, so far. I didn't like it and hope I never have to do it again.

I spent many years as a bouncer and in martial arts.

The one thing left out is eye contact and acknowledging a person with something like a simple hello. If a person is planning on committing a random crime on you or toward you, you just told them I saw you and can identify you.

One should always try to avoid "fighting" but in a self defense action it always needs to be a crippling move - eyes, nose, joints, throat or the frank and beans. A fight should be over in seconds - it's not a paid match with spectators.

Remember also once a person is on the ground, it is no longer self defense and you can be held liable.

A couple words of advice: Don't overestimate your abilities, and never underestimate your threat(s). These two things will put you in the hurt locker quickly. Practice and improve your skills, planning for the worst case scenario. Stay alert. Judge people on what their capabilities may be, not what you think their intentions are. When it's time to fight, think, and make a decision, and respond immediately with aggressive actions. Make the threat(s) respond to your actions, instead of constantly responding to what's being done to you. Think about it this way - once the fight starts, you become the predator. Surprise!

--Tiger McKee

Tiger is director of Shootrite Firearms Academy, located in northern Alabama, author of The Book of Two Guns (Book of Two Guns) , a staff member of several firearms/tactical publications, and an adjunct instructor for the F.B.I. You can reach Tiger at (256) 582-4777 or learn more about his outstanding instruction at Shootrite Firearms Academy.

That is good advice right there...

Good post Doc.

I spent many years as a bouncer and in martial arts.

The one thing left out is eye contact and acknowledging a person with something like a simple hello. If a person is planning on committing a random crime on you or toward you, you just told them I saw you and can identify you.

One should always try to avoid "fighting" but in a self defense action it always needs to be a crippling move - eyes, nose, joints, throat or the frank and beans. A fight should be over in seconds - it's not a paid match with spectators.

Remember also once a person is on the ground, it is no longer self defense and you can be held liable.

I've done the bouncer thing back in the day...Rule #1 was the smallest

guy in the crowd was almost always the one that was going to start trouble

#2 I was always sober # 3 always try to talk before you act it does work

most of the time # 4 when you have to hit aim 2 feet past the guys jaw and

give it all ya got...Oh and if that don't work get ready It's going to be a long

night. :hysterical:

Archived