TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Scoop fix from Ford Racing

No thanks!

Ugly!

Jeff,

This looks much like the set up from the late 60's which, having experienced it in person, looked pretty good on the car. You just not a fan of the Shaker hood setup? Hope all is well with you.

Jim

Jeff,

This looks much like the set up from the late 60's which, having experienced it in person, looked pretty good on the car. You just not a fan of the Shaker hood setup? Hope all is well with you.

Jim

Hey Jim!

You're probably right, I've never liked the look personally but I know many do!

Hope all is well with you too!

You're probably right, I've never liked the look personally but I know many do!

The shaker wasnt built for looks but rather as a performance mod. The SGT hood scoop wasnt built as a performance mod but rather for looks, and in most cases failed.

Therefore the only scoop that lives up to what it was built for, between these two, is the shaker.

Having said that I do not think this would look right on the SGT and agree it looks like it belongs on the BOSS.

I have thought about doing this. You get no scoop issues, plus true ram air, but just not sure how it would look on a Shelby. As far as I know, Shelby never used them.

Depends what you mean by the word "true".

This isn't a true ram air by any means. The true functional "Shaker" ram air of old actually allowed the incoming air to build up pressure as it passed through the narrowing scoop cavern. This narrowing caused pressure differences along the air stream and would actually change the air properties which allowed the moisture in the incoming air to cool down quickly which in turn drew heat out of the air stream. Once a certain pressure was reached a mechanical trip switch would open (with an audible "click") which would cause the air to forcefully RAM DOWN the throat of the carburator.

With fuel injection the new "Shaker" system is actually a fancy "cold air kit" as there is no direct ram effect even possible. That is why their advertising states it is "reminiscent of the original Shaker" setups. "Reminiscent" is not the same as "actual". With these new systems the air comes in the scoop and the "Shaker" air-pipe ducting directs the air from the scoop down to the air box. If you have a stock GT air box the hose can connect directly into the box after you cut a hole in it using a template.

If you alread have a cold-air kit cone and heat shield, the shield will have to be cut and the shaker duct attached to the shield so it dumps the air next to the cone. Can the new "Shakers" establish a vacuuming effect like the old-time originals? Absolutely NOT.

So what you end up with is an $800 fancy secondary cold-air kit that does look good but is as the advertisement says...."reminiscent" (read as "not real" or "not true").

That's alot of money for a glorified cold-air kit extension....

Yes but better than the "glorified" non functional SGT Scoop????????

If CS would approve it, think of the Bui$$ine$$ it would create........... ;)

No shaker scoop on a Shelby...I'd much rather have the Chip Beck/Heath functional scoop than this...

+2

I had a 2004 Mach 1 and the shaker definetly was right for that car.

But, IMO not on a Shelby if you want to stay with history.

I didn't see the ad mention anything about cuting the hole in the hood. Ouch!!

I think that's fine! I can see this on a Mach 1 tribute car for sure and think it would look great!

I've just never been a Mach 1 sort of guy...

Here is a "Mach-1 Tribute" car I found out on the web that has the "Shaker" setup we are talking about...

http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsi...053500991vSOTWc

http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsi...053500991NzRCyq

http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsi...053500991gHAlyW

http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsi...053500991BFchfk

http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsi...053500991yERZTu

http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsi...053500991rdOGKz

http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsi...053500991cTpLdh

I kind of like the way that looks. I'm not a Shelby purest so it wouldn't kill me to have that on my SGT. However for me the black shaker wont go with the stripes. Hmm, if the shaker is paintable and can be color matched to the original scoop... :headscratch:

I kind of like the way that looks. I'm not a Shelby purest so it wouldn't kill me to have that on my SGT. However for me the black shaker wont go with the stripes. Hmm, if the shaker is paintable and can be color matched to the original scoop... :headscratch:

It is paintable. Also I have seen someone actually buff-polish one as well.

I think I've read here on this site, most likely from Chip Beck, that where our hood scoops are mounted is actually a low pressure area of the hood because of the way the air flows over the front of our cars. I think that your not getting any significant amount of air flow in that area to have any true ram air effect. I'm pretty sure that Chip cut the hole in his hood so that it would let the heat out of the engine compartment from the SC rather than push air into the area. I'm pretty sure that for any scoop to have any ram air effect it's going to have to be much further down towards the front of the hood like the KR or Supersnake one.

I always liked the way they looked on the older Mach 1s and I like the way they look on the new tribute cars. Not sure their right for our Shelby's but that's all personal preference.

Don

I think I've read here on this site, most likely from Chip Beck, that where our hood scoops are mounted is actually a low pressure area of the hood because of the way the air flows over the front of our cars. I think that your not getting any significant amount of air flow in that area to have any true ram air effect. I'm pretty sure that Chip cut the hole in his hood so that it would let the heat out of the engine compartment from the SC rather than push air into the area. I'm pretty sure that for any scoop to have any ram air effect it's going to have to be much further down towards the front of the hood like the KR or Supersnake one.

I always liked the way they looked on the older Mach 1s and I like the way they look on the new tribute cars. Not sure their right for our Shelby's but that's all personal preference.

Don

Heck, I kind of like the looks of it and I don't care if it is a functional airfeed to the engine. When I used to drive around in a 78 Trans Am, I thought it was pretty cool to watch the shaker lean over with engine torque. It's all for show and it reminds you that you got something twisting under the hood. :happy feet:

That's the hood that Saleen was going to put on the last version Mustang they made...or are they still being made...?

Hmmmmm, $1699, huh?

Let me think...... rent, food for my children, warm clothing, health insurance.......

OR

Pretty hood for the Shelby.

This is going to be a tough one..........

Hmmmmm, $1699, huh?

Let me think...... rent, food for my children, warm clothing, health insurance.......

OR

Pretty hood for the Shelby.

This is going to be a tough one..........

you can get rent, food for the children, warm clothing, health insurance....... for $1699.00, sounds like a bargin

Archived