TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Pin Lanyards

Does anyone else have a problem with the hood pin lanyards on the SS scuffing the hood. :headscratch:

I think I have the pins installed right but where the lanyards sit against the hood for a few days I have noticeable scuff marks. I gather this comes from the lanyard vibrating back and forth when I drive the car. I can rub out the scuff marks with a little effort I just worry that eventually I'll rub through the clear. For now I have opted to leave the pins uninstalled under the hood and only attach them when I expect to be driving the car at higher rates of speed.

I've had thoughts of switching the hood pins out for a set of the Steeda Slide Style Captive Hood Pins but fret the thought of drilling another set of holes into the hood to mount these.

If others have also experienced this problem, any suggestions on how to avoid or prevent it or should I just resign myself to the fact that this will be an ongoing issue. Boy I wish we had the KR style latches....

Thanks for any input...

GT

2 schools of thought here.

One says that the lanyards are just a part of the stock hood pin experience and a few scratches are to be expected in a car that gets driven.

The other school of thought is that the car must be kept in pristine condition and that you'll need to remove the lanyards while driving in order to keep the car looking perfect. Put them on only for show.

Does anyone else have a problem with the hood pin lanyards on the SS scuffing the hood. :headscratch:

I think I have the pins installed right but where the lanyards sit against the hood for a few days I have noticeable scuff marks. I gather this comes from the lanyard vibrating back and forth when I drive the car. I can rub out the scuff marks with a little effort I just worry that eventually I'll rub through the clear. For now I have opted to leave the pins uninstalled under the hood and only attach them when I expect to be driving the car at higher rates of speed.

I've had thoughts of switching the hood pins out for a set of the Steeda Slide Style Captive Hood Pins but fret the thought of drilling another set of holes into the hood to mount these.

If others have also experienced this problem, any suggestions on how to avoid or prevent it or should I just resign myself to the fact that this will be an ongoing issue. Boy I wish we had the KR style latches....

Thanks for any input...

GT

I too am watching this on my hood and pin plates. There is an alternative that I have shown below, but because of the Super Snake hood contour, some mods to this billitt hood pin set-up are required, but it can be done. The billit set-up keeps the lanyard from laying so close to the hood surface in the area where the pin attaches. There are multiple versions of the Billit plates, Natural Alum., Black, with logo, w/o logo, Shelby only or as shown in these photo's w/GT500.

Since the original 1967 GT500 Super Snake had hood pins and not twist locks (like the 1968 GT500KR), I would guess that the hood pin set up will stay with the Super Snake since it not a KR.

Picture251.jpg

Picture250.jpg

Picture249.jpg

R

I also want to add, if you are talking about the lanyards rubbing on the front portion of the hood and the scuffs occuring there, this hood plate change will probably not help, but if the scuffing is near the plate area, this may be an alternative.

R

can you get a pin with out the lanyard???

I was thinking to go this route. I can get a stainless locking pin rig from my local boat supply store which looks like it will fit pretty well and should stay put. I was just trying to retain the stock look as I do like the look of the lanyards.

GT

can you get a pin with out the lanyard???

I bought these pins and I am using them without the lanyards. The original lanyards and pins are tucked under the hood. It works great. BTW, the parts in this kit are identical to the original parts on the 2006 GT-H's.

Scott Drake Hood Pins

Just remove your existing pins from the lanyard. I did this and left the lanyards attached and tucked them along the grill support so I can use them again if I want at shows. You can still use the pins if you need and just put them in your pocket or cup holder in your console. I only use them if I am on the race track.

Archived