TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I need Supercharger help

I need some help with a decision I’ve been mulling over for the last few months. Once my Wife’s condo sells (it’s been on the market for 10 months) I plan to buy a Whipple Supercharger. The question comes down to 550HP or 400HP.

About me and my driving habits… I am not a drag racer, but do enjoy carving corners and hope to start doing track days soon. I want an all around solid car, power, looks, and handling. I know the SGT has this from the start, which is why I bought it. But with all these cars coming out with 300-400HP (Camaro) I want to level the playing field.

Now my mental reasoning for the 400HP kit… What if that power level feels perfect? If it doesn’t, I buy the upgrade intercooler to bring the power up to 450-475 RWHP. One thing I’ve learned, you can always add more, but it’s hard to take it away. (Yes, that is a cooking reference that dear old Grandma always said)

With all that said, I need some help with this decision. Please give me your comments and hopefully I can come to a great solution. Thanks!

Jim

I need some help with a decision I’ve been mulling over for the last few months. Once my Wife’s condo sells (it’s been on the market for 10 months) I plan to buy a Whipple Supercharger. The question comes down to 550HP or 400HP.

About me and my driving habits… I am not a drag racer, but do enjoy carving corners and hope to start doing track days soon. I want an all around solid car, power, looks, and handling. I know the SGT has this from the start, which is why I bought it. But with all these cars coming out with 300-400HP (Camaro) I want to level the playing field.

Now my mental reasoning for the 400HP kit… What if that power level feels perfect? If it doesn’t, I buy the upgrade intercooler to bring the power up to 450-475 RWHP. One thing I’ve learned, you can always add more, but it’s hard to take it away. (Yes, that is a cooking reference that dear old Grandma always said)

With all that said, I need some help with this decision. Please give me your comments and hopefully I can come to a great solution. Thanks!

Jim

Jim, I am seriously looking now at prices, etc. I have yet to meet anyone who felt that they had enough power at the rear wheels. It's always just a little bit more. If I jump in it will be the Whipple 550 for the simple reason that that is the most I can "safely" get out of the 4.6 without forging the internals. Also, search around the site and everyone that has gone w/ the 550 are very happy. I will say that some have gone with the 400 as well and are very pleased. Comes down to whether or not you think you will want more! Either one is a great choice. Craig

When the time comes (which means when I have the money) I'm going with the 475HP Whipple. We've a convertible so it's "porky" and an automatic. I want more than 400 since it's heavier than the coupes, but want to stay in the safe range for an automatic transmission. Like you said, with a 425/426HP Camaro and Challenger I don't want left behind.

Jim

I asked an installer about which one too. He had just installed the 550 version and I said I was leaning towards the 400 HP version (I think I can do the 400 HP version myself). He said on a hot day in Virginia, you'll lose 40 HP or more. Which means you'll have spent $6000 + labor to get only 35 more HP than you already had. He said if he would go with the 550 version. But you are going to need a clutch upgrade so you have to figure in that cost.

Blue Oval has the 400 HP version for sale at $5649 and I think I can install it myself so that saves labor. However, the tune setup on these kits is a pain. Others have installed these, but I think you have to send the ECM to have it programmed because we don't have the Stock GT (not sure about this).

I've looked at the instructions and the 400 version is pretty straightforward (except for the tune). The 550 HP requires quite a bit more labor, but I probably can do it. I'm just confused about the tuning of these and need to investigate more.

The quote I got for labor to install the 550 was 22 hours at $85/hr.

I did not even contemplate, I went straight to the 550HP kit. To me it is perfect. I did not wnat to mess around with trying to upgrade again later, in the end that would cost more and be a hassle. I am very happy with my decision, the car is an absolute blast to drive.

Good luck

Bill

Gents correct me if I am wrong (I know you will) but I thought you could dumb down our 550 kits by adding a larger pulley--someone had Tasca do that with their automatic. For that matter Whipple Superchargers will also custom tune your PCM for you if you want less power---so go with the 550 Kit. You wont regret the 550 kit, two months after owning it you will think you dont have enough power.

Gents correct me if I am wrong (I know you will) but I thought you could dumb down our 550 kits by adding a larger pulley--someone had Tasca do that with their automatic. For that matter Whipple Superchargers will also custom tune your PCM for you if you want less power---so go with the 550 Kit. You wont regret the 550 kit, two months after owning it you will think you dont have enough power.

correct. just put a pulley on that will create between 6lbs and 8lbs of boost.

Guys,

Thank you for all your responses, it seems like you all want me to spend more money! :lol: Is Bud cutting all of you guys in on him sellings me one of the 550HP kits!?!

Anyway, thank you all, I guess I knew what your answer was going to be as I wrote this last night.... I just needed a push. Now, anyone want to be the Condo so I can buy the Supercharger???

Ok, now that all the 550 guys responded let me tell you my perspective with the 400HP. First, it depends on what you want to do. My goal was to have a "respectable" Shelby GT. In my very humble opinion SGT's should have COME with the 400HP kit, because at the end of the day, these cars are BARELY a step up in any respect from a bone stock Mustang GT no matter who's name is on it.

The 400HP kit putting out 363RWHP/340TQ made my SGT "respectable." I can just as easily put a few more ponies out by having a custom "re-tune" and probably get it a tick under 400RWHP.

Speed is addictive...... In a matter of time even the 550 guys will admit they want more. It'll never be enough. So, I wouldn't limit yourself to just the upgrade options. S/C's are expensive no matter which kit you choose. At the end of the day, if I feel the absolute need to go bigger I have several options..... A much bigger kit, add the intercooler, etc. It's all in how you want to do it and how much time/money you want to spend.

Now to dispell some misinformation here:

1. I live in Southern California - it was like 90 here yesterday I can assure you I DID NOT lose 30HP! LOL, in fact I'm very confident that once summer hits on a 100+ day I'd be surprised if I notice anything different at all.... We can all stay tuned, but that's just flat out silly.

2. The stock tune that comes with the 400HP kit isn't a big deal at all. Your kit will come from Whipple with a certificate to get the Ford Racing Calibration Tuner (handheld). You'll register the certificate online and the next day you'll have the tuner. You're good to go.

Now, IF you call whipple and buy the open element air kit you'll have to do a different tune which Whipple will do for you, but you'll have to send them your PCM (which isn't a big deal at all). They're pretty quick about getting it back.

My co-worker here has a GO SGT. Yesterday at lunch I let him drive mine. We came back and switched and I drove his stock (with a cam upgrade) we both agreed no matter the setup these cars are a flat out blast no matter WHAT configuration they're in.

You can add the intercooler to your car if you get the 400 kit. To me, if i'm gonna rip all that out just to add the I/C then I may as well do a full upgrade to the 550 kit.

I'll put my 400HP w/4:10's up against just about anything out there. From a dead stop i'm telling you, I watch cars just barely cross the crosswalk line and i'm already well across just about any intersection. My SGT is respectable end of story.

So whatchya going to do? :)

I respectfully take issue with the post that says you cannot have too much power to the rear wheels. In the abstract, that statement assumes that you can effectively transmit that power to the task at hand. If you are a drag racer, putting power down in a straight line is not complicated. If you are a road racer, it is very complicated.

From my signature, you can see how my car is equipped, power wise. This past weekend, the car was tracked for two days. Over and over, I watched cars coming out of the low speed sweeper that leads to the straightway at Willow Springs (Streets of Willow for those of you who know the track) get their car sidways by not managing their power well. One 40th edition went all the way around. One of the issues with supercharged cars on road courses is that the power is hard to modulate, meaning that it comes on in a rush. A high horsepower N/A car has the horsepower come on line in a more linear fashion. The big block Cobras that were running managed that corner far better and, therefore, came out of the corner with more speed.

If you plan to use your car on the track, you need some serious brakes. A number of the SGT owners have put the GT500 front brakes on and been very pleased with the results. One of those cars was at Willow (Rick Yates - pottydr) and was very pleased with the brake performance.

In the end, I agree with those who advocate the higher horsepower, intercooled, supercharger. I am partial to the KB for a number of reasons I have posted before but, bottom line, no matter the brand, if you are putting out 500 or 500+ at the flywheel, you will be pushing your SGT along very well.

Kind of along the lines of the brakes, if you are going to track your car, you should consider the new cooling package that SAI will be putting out soon for the 4.6 motors (the one for the 5.4 motors is already out). This is the unit Revan Racing developed and it will replace your radiator and heat exchanger. Not cheap but it will keep your horsepower from dropping off. What you have heard about heat soak is the gospel truth. Best of luck with your project. SGTs really react well to a supercharger. You lose none of the agility you already love and the horsepower is just as described by others before me.

Jim

I will chime in here, I have the KB stage II, automatic and the Brembo’s brakes, when I do the track days I usually just take it easy and go WOT down the straights, unless something happens that makes me get up on the wheel and then I will drive the car very hard and I have done it a few times, The best thing about the KB is that I can change the boost at any time, last weekend I was running the 9lb pulley and that’s 430 to 450 rwhp, with the 14lb pulley and that’s over 500 rwhp and it impossible to get out of the turns without being very careful and I really can’t tell the difference down the straights, so I leave it in 3rd gear and have fun, The brakes held up great and the 20’s were ok, but it was fun driving and I stay out of everybody’s way and try to be the last to go out, BUT I know the car is able to defend itself and I can run with almost any car out on the track except Ken Boones GT500, btw the KB looks awesome also, Rick

I might be a little late to this party but I agree with the "go big"... Hopefully you only do this once so why not. As we speak; mine is at Tasca's Shelby mod shop with a new S/C (Wipple Gen 2) and a short list of other goodies.. I took this earler today..

Good luck in whatever you decide.

post-20460-1241922952_thumb.jpg

post-20460-1241922952_thumb.jpg

Go with the HO Whipple, put on the 8 PSI pulley and wind up with approx 450 RWHP. Thats what I did but never put the 8# pulley on. Just can't seem to be able to do it, sure is fun with the smaller pulley. Whipple told me that the factory tune would support 8 - 12# boost levels.

All I can tell you is that you once you have the power you'll want more. I'm running the 500HP, what was available in 2008, and I am seriously considering up grading to the 3.25" pulley for the extra power. In the winter when the temps were around 50s, 60s this thing was a rocket ship. Now that it's more likely in the 80s it feels a bit down on power. Not like it's bad but it was so much more fun when there was that extra power. It's intoxicating man and once you've had it you'll want more.

Now what do you want to do, go through all the cost and trouble of installing a SC and a couple of months down the road be thinking I wished I'd done more. It's pretty much like starting from scratch to install the intercooler hardware. The whole thing needs to come apart. That's a lot of work if you do it yourself or a lot of cost if your having someone else do the work.

Now I know that there are lot's of people who are more than happy with their 400HP setup and rightfully so. That's a great power addition that would feel great and make you happy. I'm just saying once you feel the power, any additional power, you'll want more. It's a disease don't you know. Have fun with your decision. No matter what you can't go wrong.

Don

IMG_8538.jpg

I'm in Ohio too. I've got an '08 SGT. I'll get slammed for saying this again but that's too bad. It was slow stock, boring as a matter of fact. I love the car but it was way underpowered.

I was going to turbo charge the car because when I first bought it the 400 hp kit was all that was available. Over the winter I got busy and never built the turbo kit. By spring Whipple had the 550 kit out. Since the max power the 4.6 can make is about 550 on stock internals the kit was a no brainer.

I installed the entire kit myself at home in my garage. Supercharger, injectors and dual pumps I'd estimate took me 14-16 hours. I am a tad bit anal though and changed a few things with the kit that required me to stop and have to get other parts.

The power is no fantastic. 1st gear and 2nd gear will go up in smoke at will. I find the power is very easy to modulate, that's what the gas pedal is for. It is very linear and I don't feel that if you want to road race the car or autocross it and have any talent that you will have any problem. If your throttle has two positions, open and closed, well of course it is going to be a handful to drive.

I also installed the GT500 brakes on my car. I have not pushed the brakes hard enough to tell a difference but obviously they are going to stop better when pushed hard.

Power on my car went up 160 whp, doing the calculations of power before and after on our dyno the flywheel hp on my car is around 507 right now based on the stock power level.

Not sure where you are in Ohio but if you aren't too far and would like to check out the 550 kit we could maybe meet up sometime. If you have a 2008 there is one thing in the instructions you can skip.

Okay guys I have heard that the KB is best and of course now the Whipple and so on.... is it just a matter of preference? I'm seriously contemplating.......

I would not do a KB i think the whipple is more a complete kit and requires less car alteration (how do you KB guys change your aircleaner?) the whipple comes with the right plugs and the right fuel pump Its just my opinion and Dustin Whipple posted a side by side comparo and in my opinion the Whipple was the clear choice.

so do the HO whipple and be happy

(how do you KB guys change your aircleaner?)

It presents itself in the fender well and you access from the top by disconnecting the tube. A 40 degree lower temp on the intake is pretty worth it. Still, the best supercharger is the one powering your car.

Thank you again, especcially everyone that took the time to write a long thought out reason for going with the 500HP kit. I think I will do the 500HP kit and just listen to all you wise Shelby guys and gals. Thanks again, you all really did help.

Jim

Jim do the 550 kit it is awesome and worth every penny...

I had mine done at SAI it was really great and they are all great!

In the ened I did alot of research and the 550 is the way to go IMO.

The car is fantastic!!

Ok, now that all the 550 guys responded let me tell you my perspective with the 400HP. First, it depends on what you want to do. My goal was to have a "respectable" Shelby GT. In my very humble opinion SGT's should have COME with the 400HP kit, because at the end of the day, these cars are BARELY a step up in any respect from a bone stock Mustang GT no matter who's name is on it.

The 400HP kit putting out 363RWHP/340TQ made my SGT "respectable." I can just as easily put a few more ponies out by having a custom "re-tune" and probably get it a tick under 400RWHP.

Speed is addictive...... In a matter of time even the 550 guys will admit they want more. It'll never be enough. So, I wouldn't limit yourself to just the upgrade options. S/C's are expensive no matter which kit you choose. At the end of the day, if I feel the absolute need to go bigger I have several options..... A much bigger kit, add the intercooler, etc. It's all in how you want to do it and how much time/money you want to spend.

Now to dispell some misinformation here:

1. I live in Southern California - it was like 90 here yesterday I can assure you I DID NOT lose 30HP! LOL, in fact I'm very confident that once summer hits on a 100+ day I'd be surprised if I notice anything different at all.... We can all stay tuned, but that's just flat out silly.

2. The stock tune that comes with the 400HP kit isn't a big deal at all. Your kit will come from Whipple with a certificate to get the Ford Racing Calibration Tuner (handheld). You'll register the certificate online and the next day you'll have the tuner. You're good to go.

Now, IF you call whipple and buy the open element air kit you'll have to do a different tune which Whipple will do for you, but you'll have to send them your PCM (which isn't a big deal at all). They're pretty quick about getting it back.

My co-worker here has a GO SGT. Yesterday at lunch I let him drive mine. We came back and switched and I drove his stock (with a cam upgrade) we both agreed no matter the setup these cars are a flat out blast no matter WHAT configuration they're in.

You can add the intercooler to your car if you get the 400 kit. To me, if i'm gonna rip all that out just to add the I/C then I may as well do a full upgrade to the 550 kit.

I'll put my 400HP w/4:10's up against just about anything out there. From a dead stop i'm telling you, I watch cars just barely cross the crosswalk line and i'm already well across just about any intersection. My SGT is respectable end of story.

So whatchya going to do? :)

you wanna line em up when i get my Novi2200?? :shift::headspin:

Archived