TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Motor Trend article- The New Pony Wars

July issue of Motor Trend compares the 2010 Mustang GT, the 09 Challenger RT and the 09 Camaro SS.

In the end the Camaro SS barely edged out the Mustang GT but all the reviewers were very impressed with how the Mustang handled, even offering praise to the live axel. At 315HP the Mustang was giving away a lot of HP to the Challenger's 375 and the Camaro's 425 and yet the Mustang was neck and neck with those cars performance wise.

On looks they all preferred the Challenger. I'm not sure they could figure out the looks of the 2010 Mustang either (as has been expressed on this forum).

On price the Camaro SS was the big winner- several thousand less than the Mustang (which was several thousand less than the Challenger).

Overall it sounds like the 2010 Mustang has made some big driving and handling improvements and anyone looking to buy one should feel pretty happy with that!

There was also an article on the 2010 Shelby GT500- they loved the car and how it handled. Seems like the new 19 inch tires really improved the handling of the vehicle.

July issue of Motor Trend compares the 2010 Mustang GT, the 09 Challenger RT and the 09 Camaro SS.

In the end the Camaro SS barely edged out the Mustang GT but all the reviewers were very impressed with how the Mustang handled, even offering praise to the live axel. At 315HP the Mustang was giving away a lot of HP to the Challenger's 375 and the Camaro's 425 and yet the Mustang was neck and neck with those cars performance wise.

On looks they all preferred the Challenger. I'm not sure they could figure out the looks of the 2010 Mustang either (as has been expressed on this forum).

On price the Camaro SS was the big winner- several thousand less than the Mustang (which was several thousand less than the Challenger).

Overall it sounds like the 2010 Mustang has made some big driving and handling improvements and anyone looking to buy one should feel pretty happy with that!

There was also an article on the 2010 Shelby GT500- they loved the car and how it handled. Seems like the new 19 inch tires really improved the handling of the vehicle.

Motor Trend has been kissing Chevrolet's butt for many and many years so I am not surprised!

It's funny that when the GT500 came out originally all the Mags asked why they took off the 19s from the concept and went to 18s they said they couldn't get 19s to hook up.

Quote from Car and Driver 2007

"Big power isn't much good unless it gets to the ground without excessive wheelspin, which is why the production GT500 will have a lot more rear tire than the New York show car, which hunkered over a set of 19-inch wheels wearing 255/45 tires. The initial production run of GT500s will roll on 9.5-by-18-inch wheels with sticky Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires—255/45 front, 285/40 rear.

"We just couldn't get the 255s to hook up," says O'Connell. "Almost every run was going up in smoke."

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_li...ower_wide_tires

Thanks, I'll have to get that mag.

Edit - Don't need to buy the mag after all; the article is online....

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes...g_gt/index.html

I like the rear end of the Camaro better BUT I like the front of the GT the best, I want both I'm so torn.... :banghead: And the Challenger is to big for me.... :banghead:

:hide:

Here is a review on the 2010 GT500 from Auto Week. They were very impressed with the car. I never really cared for Motor Trendless. They love to compare American cars to foreign cars and always hype up the foreign cars. I could care less what they have to say.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20090406/c...views/904069997

For the price, the 426 hp and Brimbo brakes that the Camaro has is not bad at all. Ford needs an optional engine with a little more omph for the Mustang GT. It needs at least around 50 more hp. At first glance it seems really underpowered compared to the other two, but its one case where perception is not reality. If the typical gearhead who buys one of these cars can come up with $1000-$1500 bucks, he could make the Camaro a screamer. There not being a GT500 to choose from in the test, I would probaby buy the Challenger if I was going to lay down some cash. Not much mountain driving here in Texas (none that I have seen as a matter of fact) so a cruiser would be just fine. Not much call for heel and toe driving. The one thing I could not understand about the Challengers interior is why they still have the foot operated emergency brake. I know it has the 3 second brake hold, but I guess I have just gotten too accustomed to hand brakes on the console.

How would a bigger rim help the handling? I'm sure most of the improvements are in the suspension.

How would a bigger rim help the handling? I'm sure most of the improvements are in the suspension.

It's not the rim, it's the tire. They didn't have time to have tires specially made for the KR's. But now they've had the time and they've got ties especially made for the 2010 GT500. So there's a difference in wall flex and how it holds the corners, plus a few others special features to the tires.

I dont think they can call it a war with the problems at GM and Dodge how long will they be producing Camaro or Challenger, to compete certainly more power is not what Washinton has in mind so Mustang might be in a battle but a war no way

I thought the article was good overall. It was one of the most fun reads I have had in a while in one of those car rags. I though it was a fair assessment. At least they were on the money regarding the Challenger. H.

Not a bad take on all 3! Bravo for the "antiquated" Mustang holding it's own against the sinking giants of GM and Chrysler. Very good comments on the Mustang. Ford really needs to up the horsepower though. Haven't they always rolled out a hot car and waited for the competition to answer back before they upped the ante? I recall the days with a 6 banger, a "base" V8 and then the hi-po rig. They certainly need something to fill the gap between 315 horses and 540......

I dont think they can call it a war with the problems at GM and Dodge how long will they be producing Camaro or Challenger, to compete certainly more power is not what Washinton has in mind so Mustang might be in a battle but a war no way

If they sell then they will make them.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually its the June 2009 issue of Motor Trend that has this article.

Steve

Archived