TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Limited Slip Diff. Moan

...OK, now it's happening to me! My GT500 has a little less than 3,000KM's(less than 2,000` miles). I notice now when I am in a parking lot backing in slowly or turning slowly, I hear a moan from the rear end. Is this somewhat normal or a problem? I am aware of the TSB, which I think address more than just the GT500, so I wondered if a little more noise can be expected from the GT500 due to the heavy duty materials in the limited slip friction discs? If not, will I be doing any damage by waiting until my next oil change to have it looked at? I had a 2006 Mustang GT and never heard this moan from the rear end.

...OK, now it's happening to me! My GT500 has a little less than 3,000KM's(less than 2,000` miles). I notice now when I am in a parking lot backing in slowly or turning slowly, I hear a moan from the rear end. Is this somewhat normal or a problem? I am aware of the TSB, which I think address more than just the GT500, so I wondered if a little more noise can be expected from the GT500 due to the heavy duty materials in the limited slip friction discs? If not, will I be doing any damage by waiting until my next oil change to have it looked at? I had a 2006 Mustang GT and never heard this moan from the rear end.

Ford says its normal. Mine did it, axle replaced, came back.

The applicable TSBs I've seen only apply to the Mustang GT and not the GT500. However, Ford added a bottle of friction modifier to my axle per the TSB and the noise came back. I don't think it's a problem, but I plan to replace the differential one day with a Detroit True-Trac, which should do away with the noise.

Saw another thread on this where the general feeling was the carbon fiber disks become glazed over time if you aren't forcing the clutch pack to grab under torque. The suggestion was to light them up every once in a while or do one of my favorites with this machine and steer it with the throttle through some sweepers. I have not had this issue yet and just a touch under 6000 km on mine...I don't abuse it by any means but light them up and do some right foot controlled oversteer at least once a month.

Saw another thread on this where the general feeling was the carbon fiber disks become glazed over time if you aren't forcing the clutch pack to grab under torque. The suggestion was to light them up every once in a while or do one of my favorites with this machine and steer it with the throttle through some sweepers. I have not had this issue yet and just a touch under 6000 km on mine...I don't abuse it by any means but light them up and do some right foot controlled oversteer at least once a month.

A quick search will find several threads on this. My understanding was that when the disks become glazed they stop grabbing as well and the limited slip does not works as well. Stops laying two nice tire marks! You could alway try the technique of driving many tight circles in each direction in a parking lot. This was outlined by 68fastback as an old school way to revive your disks if they are glazed over. The CF disks just make noise. Try the volume knob. ;)

Archived