TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Side Scoop mod..................

Not mod like "cut", but more like "define". I like the upper side scoops because the actually give the look of the 1967-up GT500, but to me, there was something missing or needed. If I remember correctly, the original side scoops on the Shelbys were open in the front to allow air in, and also open on the rear to allow the air to flow out causing air to be drawn out of the car for ventilation.

The Super Snake scoops have the appearance of being open in the front, but not in the rear. To me the side scoop rear area needed some detail to define its features. A similar appearance to the front was added to the rear giving a more functional look to the scoop and define it from multiple angles.

The pictures below are what I came up with................Thoughts??

Before................

Picture232.jpg

After....................

Picture235.jpg

Before.................

Picture234.jpg

Picture236.jpg

Even if you move further around to the side, the definition at the rear of the scoop is still there giving it a nice look in my opinion....

Picture237.jpg

R

Not mod like "cut", but more like "define". I like the upper side scoops because the actually give the look of the 1967-up GT500, but to me, there was something missing or needed. If I remember correctly, the original side scoops on the Shelbys were open in the front to allow air in, and also open on the rear to allow the air to flow out causing air to be drawn out of the car for ventilation.

The Super Snake scoops have the appearance of being open in the front, but not in the rear. To me the side scoop rear area needed some detail to define its features. A similar appearance to the front was added to the rear giving a more functional look to the scoop and define it from multiple angles.

The pictures below are what I came up with................Thoughts??

Before................

Picture232.jpg

Picture235.jpg

Before.................

Picture234.jpg

Picture236.jpg

Even if you move further around to the side, the definition at the rear of the scoop is still there giving it a nice look in my opinion....

Picture237.jpg

R

I love it. Did you have to remove the scope to cut the hole? There was a guy on the forum that lost a scope at the track. I am suprised more people aren't losing them at speed w/no vent path.

I will be doing this to my car asap. Thnx for sharing w/us.

BJ

I love it. Did you have to remove the scope to cut the hole? There was a guy on the forum that lost a scope at the track. I am suprised more people aren't losing them at speed w/no vent path.

I will be doing this to my car asap. Thnx for sharing w/us.

BJ

No BJ - No removal, no hole, no cut.

This is a custom fit appliqué just like what is on the front of the scoop. To make it look right, it takes some cutting and fitting. The angles top and bottom are different and the outer and inner are curved and it takes some time to fit it properly. After multiple attempts and wrong angles over a few days, I finally got the "look" I was looking for on both sides in a steady hours worth of work.

R

R,

This looks good....I was thinking of doing the same thing but what material did you use for the appliqué?

GT

I went to my local sign/graphics shop. The have the 3M material that resists UV fading. My options were Gloss Black or Matte Black, they did not have Flat Black. I chose the Matte. They gave me (at n/c) a piece of "scrap", cut straight from the roll. The owner put the roll up on the cutting table and asked how much I needed, I told him about a 1/2 a sheet of paper in size, he cut off a piece and said, "we throw more that this away when we do a job, have a good day!!"

It took multiple attempts to get a piece to fit just right (and appear functional at a glance) and I wasted approx. 1/2 of the matte material getting just the right fit for that area on the rear of the 1/4 window scoop on each side. If you get one side cut to fit properly, flip it over and use it as a template on the back side of the material for the other side of the car, this will reduce the time of cutting and fitting a whole new piece from scratch.

R

I went to my local sign/graphics shop. The have the 3M material that resists UV fading. My options were Gloss Black or Matte Black, they did not have Flat Black. I chose the Matte. They gave me (at n/c) a piece of "scrap", cut straight from the roll. The owner put the roll up on the cutting table and asked how much I needed, I told him about a 1/2 a sheet of paper in size, he cut off a piece and said, "we throw more that this away when we do a job, have a good day!!"

It took multiple attempts to get a piece to fit just right (and appear functional at a glance) and I wasted approx. 1/2 of the matte material getting just the right fit for that area on the rear of the 1/4 window scoop on each side. If you get one side cut to fit properly, flip it over and use it as a template on the back side of the material for the other side of the car, this will reduce the time of cutting and fitting a whole new piece from scratch.

R

Looks great. Makes your Super Snake even more unique.

I like it looks great!! I did this but still doing a little more.

121_2124_IMG.JPG

121_2122_IMG.JPG

121_2124_IMG.JPG

121_2122_IMG.JPG

I like it looks great!! I did this but still doing a little more.

The look you have chosen was also one of my thoughts when I was contemplating "how" to define the rear of the scoop area w/o over defining. I wanted the rear to look like a functional outlet, but not look like a sticker, at a glance. There is definitely more definition with the complete depression area darkened, as you have shown. Thanks for adding the pictures, it will give some additional ideas to the "scoop owners".

R

It looks GREAT Robert!

Cool thing is if you dont like it just pull the sticker off!

MM

Exactly. As with the front side of the upper scoop, it is a "look" of functionality. Even if a person were to cut holes in the front and the rear of this scoop, there would still be no fuctionality unless the 1/4 glass were to be removed and some sort of "other" insert put in that hole. In an era of A/C, why add ventilation at the 1/4 windows, except maybe a full race car with A/C removed?

R

Archived