TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Warranty on Shelby Components?

My new 2008 SGT is in the shop for minor fixes (rattles in door, scratches in paint) as well as a major creaking sound from the rear. It mainly happens when pulling out of/ into driveways.

I was just informed that they think it might be a problem with the rear sway bar Shelby installed and that Shelby does not warranty their parts.

Is this true? I just bough the car as new 1 1/2 weeks ago and was told the warranty starts the day I buy the car.

I did a search and could find any info on Shelby not warrantying their parts. I thought they were all FRRP parts anyway...

My new 2008 SGT is in the shop for minor fixes (rattles in door, scratches in paint) as well as a major creaking sound from the rear. It mainly happens when pulling out of/ into driveways.

I was just informed that they think it might be a problem with the rear sway bar Shelby installed and that Shelby does not warranty their parts.

Is this true? I just bough the car as new 1 1/2 weeks ago and was told the warranty starts the day I buy the car.

I did a search and could find any info on Shelby not warrantying their parts. I thought they were all FRRP parts anyway...

Your Shelby installed parts are warranted for 3/36.

Steve

Steve

Does that include the parts installed for the Super Snake package as well? Didn't find any warranty information in the paperwork provided after the conversion...Just wondering if anyone knows this before calling SAI...

GT

Based on my expierience, and no offense to the service guys at your dealership. I found some items were a tighten and test or just keep listening and looking until I found the issues. Verify that the front and rear sway bar link bolts are torqued properly, major cause of thunks when turning, bumps and just plain annoying. Check out the exhaust hangers, look for any area rubbing on the rear exhaust, and frame, watch out if hot. My cold air intake sheild was loose and rattling. Another item that was fairly annoying was the rear trunk lock cover. I used a black piece of tubing and slit to fit on the edge to tighten it up. If you can identify the issue your dealer should be able to resolve it. It is hard sometimes to pinpoint a problem unless you know exactly what to listen for. It took me some time but I enjoy working on my car as well as driving it. Now I know it well. Performance cars unfortunatley if you drive them you have to eventually tighten and adjust as needed to keep them in working order. Hope some of this may help. good Luck.

Steve

That's what I thought, but will the service tech believe it?

They said there's some sort of problem with the rear swaybar bushing. Since that's a Shelby-installed part I just wanted to know if anyone has had problems with the dealers not honoring the warranty.

I'm so afraid I will have problems that will take forever to correct. My 2005 GT had to go in with only 3,000 miles and it took them 6 weeks to diagnose the engine problem and replace the engine! What a nightmare that was! Can't handle this happening again.

Grease your poly-urethane bushings that hold your sway bar, that's what's squeeking. My car was squeeking too so I grease those up and she's quite now.

Orion

Yes the warranty starts the day your car is put into service which in your case is the day you purchased the car.

The pdf that Jeffisheretoo posted should help you out. But I'm pretty sure you should also have a Shelby owners manual supplement in your glove box. I can't recall but I thought the Shelby warranty was also shown in this supplement.

Any 08 GT owners out there that can verify this?

Steve

Guys, we've covered all of this before...the suspension squeaks are caused by the stiffer polyurethane busings that come in the FRPP lowering kit. It clearly states in the warranty booklet that squeaks are NOT covered under warranty because of these stiffer bushings. There should be grease zerks in the mounting points for these bushings...keeping them lubricated does help aleviate the squeaks, but from time to time, you will still hear them especially if you put the suspension in a bind, such as entering or exiting a driveway at a steep angle...

It really is NOT anything to worry about...the suspension is fine...polyurethane is just stiffer than rubber and transmits more noise. If the noise bothers you that much, just keep the radio turned up...the bushings are working fine and are doing their job as they are supposed to.

If turning up the radio does not work for you, you can always replace the polyurethane bushings with the factory rubber bushings...but be forewarned that the handling on your SGT will not be as good as it was prior to changing out the bushings. I would suggest keeping the urethane bushings and just don't worry about it...

Happy motoring!

Grease your poly-urethane bushings that hold your sway bar, that's what's squeeking. My car was squeeking too so I grease those up and she's quite now.

Or as motorjock pointed out..................turn up the radio!!!

I just went through my Shelby GT book and saw that clause where they claim squeaks, rattles and harsh ride are not warrantable. But the service adviser informed me that there are screws with the heads broken off! I'll be checking this tomorrow, but if the bad squeak, which happens not just when going in and out of driveways but even when making a left turn at an intersection, can't be fixed due to a fault with the installation of the rear sway bar (or a broken part from Shelby) I should be covered, right?

I told the service tech I want to see the problem area and will be picking my car up tomorrow, fixed or not. I told them to have it ready for me tomorrow AM. I hate the fact that my brand new Shelby is sitting in some dealership, uncovered, and who knows who is touching it! They gave me a little Mazda3 rental, which just ain't the same, and I don't want to have to pay for it.

So the service chick calls me at work to tell me my car will is ready but I had to work late tonight. less than an hour later they had this lady call me to ask how my experience with the Ford service was! I can't believe that! I told her I had not picked my car up yet, but since I was informed that parts might not be fixed I won't be giving them a great report!

I won't mention the dealership at this time, as I am going to demand that they make this right. We'll see/

I just went through my Shelby GT book and saw that clause where they claim squeaks, rattles and harsh ride are not warrantable. But the service adviser informed me that there are screws with the heads broken off! I'll be checking this tomorrow, but if the bad squeak, which happens not just when going in and out of driveways but even when making a left turn at an intersection, can't be fixed due to a fault with the installation of the rear sway bar (or a broken part from Shelby) I should be covered, right?

I told the service tech I want to see the problem area and will be picking my car up tomorrow, fixed or not. I told them to have it ready for me tomorrow AM. I hate the fact that my brand new Shelby is sitting in some dealership, uncovered, and who knows who is touching it! They gave me a little Mazda3 rental, which just ain't the same, and I don't want to have to pay for it.

So the service chick calls me at work to tell me my car will is ready but I had to work late tonight. less than an hour later they had this lady call me to ask how my experience with the Ford service was! I can't believe that! I told her I had not picked my car up yet, but since I was informed that parts might not be fixed I won't be giving them a great report!

I won't mention the dealership at this time, as I am going to demand that they make this right. We'll see/

If something is truly broken, YES, it should be fixed under the warranty. The only time I have ever heard my sway bars squeak was pulling into a driveway...not during a right or left turn...I do on occasion hear the rubber around my steering wheel squeaking while making a turn and I don't have the radio on...

okay, you all are not going to believe this!

I showed up at the dealer this AM to pick up my SGT and asked to see the service tech. He tells me he's still communicating with Shelby regarding the swaybar problem. I take a look under my car to see what he was talking about... and see THIS:

DSCF2933.jpg

DSCF2935.jpg

The part had totally broken off and they had no idea! It's supposed to look like the one on the left side:

DSCF2934.jpg

I guess the good news is that are going to HAVE to replace this whole part. And they fixed the black trim on the rear side windows, took care of the scratches... but didn't wash the car. It was pretty dirty.

But jeez! Who would have thought I should have taken an inspector to check out a brand new Shelby before I paid for it?

They don't make hardly anything on warrenty work, that's why everybody has problems with dealers. They make more money when the tech's are working on other stuff, simple as that.

That's why I like do'in my own work.......if I can.

Archived