TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The official break-in of my SGT

EL SHELBY

WOW, I'm hooked! :shift: And the last thing I need is another pricey hobby! :spend:

This past Sunday I spent the day at Motor Sports Ranch in Cresson, TX with the Apex Driving Academe. This was my first time behind the wheel on a track and I'm psyched about doing this again soon!

I have to say the SGT performed flawlessly! In fact, my instructor who has a track only 93 Cobra with a full Griggs set up underneath was impressed with how well the SGT handled.

I was able to pass a new Nissan GTR in one session as well as a Porsche, a couple Miatas, and a Mini. I know this has far more to do with driver skill and what each driver was working on at that moment then the car they drove but it was a really nice boost to the ego when I stuck to the rear of $80K GTR (the self proclaimed king of the Nurburgring) and was then motioned to pass. :banvictory:

It was pretty obvious that the tires where pushed to their limit but they performed well in the wet morning sessions. I did feel some brake fade by the end of the day but I never felt that they would completely go away. I'm sure that will change the more seat time I get if I don't make an upgrade to the pads, brake lines, fluid and add some cooling.

I'll post some :camera: later in the week.

Some suggestions that also are consistent with your experience at the track. The stock rubber on the SGT needs help. I went to the rubber on a GT500 and, having tracked the car with both, the GT500 rubber helped greatly (not much of a surprise on that one, I know). I cooked my stock brakes the first time on the track. By "cooked," I mean that, but for the anti-lock, I would have had virtually nothing there. I admit that I addressed the issue in a fashion that most would not (AP Racing all around) but our stock brakes require some upfitting. If you are going to be on the track a bunch (and the car was built to be there), I would get the best brakes you can afford. The final piece would be a Watts Link. When we were at Willow Springs Raceway yesterday, four out of five SGTs there were running a Watts (the other one was purchaed just a month ago). I have tracked the car with and without and see it as a solid addition on the track.

Glad you had a good time on the asphalt. Post those photos when you can.

Jim

Try to purchase some stock GT500 brakes, you can find them for under 600, I had mine smoking pretty bad saturday at willow springs and they held up very well, I was surprized, (as I would not let a new Z06 pass me, so I had to keep him far behind), Rick

Add one more track "junkie" to the list :happy feet:

True story = I had owned my 2007 SGT for less than one month w/less than 500 miles on it when I went to the Mid-America Meet in Tulsa, OK. Just to see what this "annual" event was all about :headscratch: So using the Internet, I signed up for the Thursday Open Track Event sight unseen... Until then, I've NEVER been on the track in any type of automobile... Raced R/C cars as a kid with my Dad... Flew Jet Trainers and Cargo Airplanes around the world in the USAF for 10 years... But I've NEVER been in a car, on a track, doing 110+ MPH down the front straight... And here I am in a BRAND NEW, Shelby GT, going around Hallett like it was nothing... And yes, I turned the BFG tires into melted piles of Goo when I finally came into the pits... And wore out the stock brakes during the first 2 sessions... All this while "leading" in the NOVICE class (remember NO passing)... But the memories are priceless :superhero: Especially since there was only one other Shelby GT out there on the track :shift:

post-8727-1241491062_thumb.jpg

Turns out it was the White Shelby GT Prototype that SAI had brought out to the event... And here I am, driving the wheels and brakes right off my brand new car, with the SAI prototype right behind me... Needless to say, I was hooked and have never looked back...

Drive Safe!

07SGT0547

post-8727-1241491062_thumb.jpg

:rockon:

Add one more track "junkie" to the list :happy feet:

True story = I had owned my 2007 SGT for less than one month w/less than 500 miles on it when I went to the Mid-America Meet in Tulsa, OK. Just to see what this "annual" event was all about :headscratch: So using the Internet, I signed up for the Thursday Open Track Event sight unseen... Until then, I've NEVER been on the track in any type of automobile... Raced R/C cars as a kid with my Dad... Flew Jet Trainers and Cargo Airplanes around the world in the USAF for 10 years... But I've NEVER been in a car, on a track, doing 110+ MPH down the front straight... And here I am in a BRAND NEW, Shelby GT, going around Hallett like it was nothing... And yes, I turned the BFG tires into melted piles of Goo when I finally came into the pits... And wore out the stock brakes during the first 2 sessions... All this while "leading" in the NOVICE class (remember NO passing)... But the memories are priceless :superhero: Especially since there was only one other Shelby GT out there on the track :shift:

764_1_.jpg

Turns out it was the White Shelby GT Prototype that SAI had brought out to the event... And here I am, driving the wheels and brakes right off my brand new car, with the SAI prototype right behind me... Needless to say, I was hooked and have never looked back...

Drive Safe!

07SGT0547

:rockon:

My turn is coming if spring and summer ever get here. I can't wait. :happy feet:

ERIK

07SGT2940

WOW, I'm hooked! :shift: And the last thing I need is another pricey hobby! :spend:

This past Sunday I spent the day at Motor Sports Ranch in Cresson, TX with the Apex Driving Academe. This was my first time behind the wheel on a track and I'm psyched about doing this again soon!

I have to say the SGT performed flawlessly! In fact, my instructor who has a track only 93 Cobra with a full Griggs set up underneath was impressed with how well the SGT handled.

I was able to pass a new Nissan GTR in one session as well as a Porsche, a couple Miatas, and a Mini. I know this has far more to do with driver skill and what each driver was working on at that moment then the car they drove but it was a really nice boost to the ego when I stuck to the rear of $80K GTR (the self proclaimed king of the Nurburgring) and was then motioned to pass. :banvictory:

It was pretty obvious that the tires where pushed to their limit but they performed well in the wet morning sessions. I did feel some brake fade by the end of the day but I never felt that they would completely go away. I'm sure that will change the more seat time I get if I don't make an upgrade to the pads, brake lines, fluid and add some cooling.

I'll post some :camera: later in the week.

As promised. Photos from my track day.

post-24566-1241707744_thumb.jpg

post-24566-1241707776_thumb.jpg

post-24566-1241707797_thumb.jpg

post-24566-1241708207_thumb.jpg

post-24566-1241708246_thumb.jpg

post-24566-1241708258_thumb.jpg

post-24566-1241707744_thumb.jpg

post-24566-1241707776_thumb.jpg

post-24566-1241707797_thumb.jpg

post-24566-1241708207_thumb.jpg

post-24566-1241708246_thumb.jpg