TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Upgraded Radiator and Heat Exchanger

Upgraded the radiator and heat exchanger (HE) in my car this weekend. Used essentially the same kit that Shelby is offering for the Super Snake package and GT500s. Great quality products and exactly the results I was looking for.

This is the first supercharged SGT with the cooling kit so it was a prototype and learning experience. Van Collier from Revan Racing (aka dactyl) assisted with the install. It would have been much quicker if I didn’t have to keep waiting for Van to finish his side (just kidding Van). Should be an SGT version of the kit coming "soon".

Radiator install with the Paxton requires some minor fabrication. The new radiator is three times wider than the stock radiator and the top radiator support brackets had to be moved back ¾ of an inch to get clearance between the radiator fan shroud and the Paxton head unit intake tube. Also about ¾ inch of sheet metal directly below the top support brackets needs to be removed. Install of the radiator in an SGT (or Mustang GT) with a Whipple or KB should be a little easier.

The HE install was very straightforward. Pretty much drop out the Paxton HE and replace with the new HE. There is a bit of re-routing of hoses and wiring for the fans but nothing too difficult. It sounds great when you turn the key and hear the fans start up.

Summer time in Florida is upon us, about 90 degrees yesterday. I ran the car for 45 minutes and when I came back the intercooler fluid was barley warm. Next I’ll be removing the stock 195 degree thermostat and replacing it with a 160 degree thermostat.

It will be a much cooler running car year round without any significant heat soak and this translates directly to more power/speed, even on hot summer days at the track!

Install01.jpg

Install02.jpg

Install03.jpg

Install04.jpg

Install05.jpg

Install06.jpg

Install07.jpg

Looks very nice. Looking forward to getting it installed on my KB SGT. I will have something to compare it to as we ran the car for 14 sessions of 20 minutes (total hot track time) each (with 40 minutes in between) over two days. The temperatures were only mid-70's though.

Jim

Upgraded the radiator and heat exchanger (HE) in my car this weekend. Used essentially the same kit that Shelby is offering for the Super Snake package and GT500s. Great quality products and exactly the results I was looking to get.

This is the first supercharged SGT with the cooling kit so it was a prototype and learning experience. Van Collier from Revan Racing (aka dactyl) assisted with the install. It would have been much quicker if I didn’t have to keep waiting for Van to finish his side (just kidding Van). Should be an SGT version of the kit coming "soon".

Radiator install with the Paxton requires some minor fabrication. The new radiator is three times wider than the stock radiator and the top radiator support brackets had to be moved back ¾” to get clearance between the radiator fan shroud and the Paxton head unit intake tube. Also about ¾” of sheet metal directly below the top support brackets needs to be removed. Install of the radiator in an SGT (or Mustang GT) with a Whipple or KB should be a little easier.

The HE install was very straightforward. Pretty much drop out the Paxton HE and replace with the new HE. There is a bit of re-routing of hoses and wiring for the fans but nothing too difficult. It sounds great when you turn the key and hear the fans start up.

Summer time in Florida is upon us, about 90 degrees yesterday. I ran the car for 45 minutes and when I came back the intercooler fluid was barley warm. Next I’ll be removing the stock 195 degree thermostat and replacing it with a 160 degree thermostat.

It will be a much cooler running car year round without any heat soak and this translates directly to more power/speed, even on hot summer days at the track!

Install01.jpg

Install02.jpg

Install03.jpg

Install04.jpg

Install05.jpg

Install06.jpg

Install07.jpg

Nice Write up Brian.

VC

Looks very nice. Looking forward to getting it installed on my KB SGT. I will have something to compare it to as we ran the car for 14 sessions of 20 minutes (total hot track time) each (with 40 minutes in between) over two days. The temperatures were only mid-70's though.

Jim

Hey Jim,

It's totally worth it in my opinion and you'll be glad you did it. Even in the mid-70's the car will be pretty darn hot after 20 mintues on the track. And I'd guess that even after 40 minutes of cool down it only takes a few minutes back out on the track to max out the IAT and engine temps. For me I see this as a good way to maximize the performace of the car for an additional 6+ months out of the year.

Good luck,

Brian O'C

Archived