TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Side scoops corner lifting

I installed the Shelby GT/California Special side scoops on my GT500 and am having trouble with the driver side scoop lifting on the top rear corner. I took it off an re-applied but with the same results. I've had them on for a few months and it was fine at first but started to lift after a month or so. Seems like it happened when the weather got warm. When doing a test fit the second time I noticed the scoop didn't want to lay flush in that corner so I don't think it is an issue with the 3m tape failing but the scoop itself not fitting the contour of the car. Anyone else have this issue with theirs from the factory? I didn't drill the holes but I don't think it would matter because the clips are located near the center of the scoop and the edge would still lift.

They look great on your car!

I have never seen that expressed as an issue by anyone.

There is nothing I can think of, other than the tape, that would cause that.

Sorry!

Yeah it is kinda strange. I can push the corner down but there is some resistance and unfortunately the way the scoops are designed there is no tape or any place to put tape in the corner that is lifting. The passenger side is perfect so can't understand why this one is giving me issues. :headscratch: Maybe someone else will chime in. Thanks.

Mine are doing the same thing. The problem is up in the corner there is no flat spot on the inside to attach any tape to. You are relying on the tape that is on the edges. the only real fix I can see is to remove them, use some bondo, or expoxy putty to fill in the corner so as to have a spot to attach some tape. Other wise you are just spinnig your wheels.

Gary

Mine are doing the same thing. The problem is up in the corner there is no flat spot on the inside to attach any tape to. You are relying on the tape that is on the edges. the only real fix I can see is to remove them, use some bondo, or expoxy putty to fill in the corner so as to have a spot to attach some tape. Other wise you are just spinnig your wheels.

Gary

Nice to know I'm not the only one. Have yours been that way for a while and have you learned to live with it? It's only the one for me but it drives me crazy. :banghead: The scoops look awesome so removing them is not an option for me. Let me know if you decide to try the bondo/epoxy putty idea. I agree that without tape in that corner it will continue to happen.

I had to double up on the double stick tape in a few spots on my side scoops because I noticed they weren't making contact with the window in a few areas.

Luckily the Super Snake window scoops fit perfect and I haven't had any issue. Just the side/quarter scoop I'm having the issue with. Your car looks great by the way. Thanks

My Cervini's scoops are NO GOOD either. I just got done typing a letter to the company today that I'll be mailing with pictures to ask if it's normal. I've had the scoops less than a year.

10345766.jpg

h11.jpg

h10x.jpg

75221529.jpg

80153939.jpg

35002134.jpg

39767580.jpg

99911557.jpg

Unacceptable! I can't even in good conscience sell them.

My Cervini's scoops are NO GOOD either. I just got done typing a letter to the company today that I'll be mailing with pictures to ask if it's normal. I've had the scoops less than a year.

Wow, That can't be normal. Did this get worse over time or were they this bad from the start?

Wow, that is ridiculous, and I thought mine was bad. They should seriously consider giving you a refund or sending you replacements. If you decide to go with different ones, the Super Snake scoops I have look very similar to the Cervinis and fit very nice. No lifting whatsoever, at least not yet. Ordered them directly from Shelby Performance parts. Good luck!

Wow, That can't be normal. Did this get worse over time or were they this bad from the start?

They fit perfectly when new. I would have sent them back before I painted them if they looked like that. Within a years time they've started to warp. (Pretty badly IMO) Like I said, I sent a certified package with a letter and a dozen 8X10 pictures to cervini's today. I'll keep ya posted on what they say.

They fit perfectly when new. I would have sent them back before I painted them if they looked like that. Within a years time they've started to warp. (Pretty badly IMO) Like I said, I sent a certified package with a letter and a dozen 8X10 pictures to cervini's today. I'll keep ya posted on what they say. Bet ya a dollar they tell me to pound sand.

You think the heat of the sun warped them?

Did you say you took them off and reinstalled them? Without replacing the 3M tape?

What happened was that the initial install probably wasn't perfect.

The only way around it is to yank them off, peel off all the old tape and reapply new 3M tape (maybe thicker, although I do like the red tape most of these parts come with). Then prep the car's area by getting rid of all the wax in the area where the tape is going and attaching them in proper weather conditions. The temps have got to be warm enough and not drop down too far for the first 24 hours, based on what I've seen. And I don;t recommend driving the car for 24 hours.

I went through a bad whistling sound from my rear side window louvers and had to do this whole procedure! The good news was that they looked so good the company still features my 2005 GT on their website!

http://wheelskin.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv...ct_Code=DG-3180

I installed the Shelby GT/California Special side scoops on my GT500 and am having trouble with the driver side scoop lifting on the top rear corner. I took it off an re-applied but with the same results. I've had them on for a few months and it was fine at first but started to lift after a month or so. Seems like it happened when the weather got warm. When doing a test fit the second time I noticed the scoop didn't want to lay flush in that corner so I don't think it is an issue with the 3m tape failing but the scoop itself not fitting the contour of the car. Anyone else have this issue with theirs from the factory? I didn't drill the holes but I don't think it would matter because the clips are located near the center of the scoop and the edge would still lift.

I had to have my quarter panel repainted (wife hits my car in the driveway while talking on the cell phone :banghead: ). When the body shop put the side scoop back on they also tried to get the top rear corner to fit against the body by placing the 3m tape near that corner. However, it came undone a few days later and lifted off the body on that corner. I looked at the other side which wasn't removed and the 3M tape is not near the corner and the top rear corner is not in contact with the body. I told the body shop that it appears the scoops are designed to fit flush with the rest of the body, but not the top rear corner. They redid the 3M tape and matched the location of the tape like the other side and it now looks like it did when it came from the factory, i.e. the top rear corners are not in contact with the body.

I had to have my quarter panel repainted (wife hits my car in the driveway while talking on the cell phone :banghead: ). When the body shop put the side scoop back on they also tried to get the top rear corner to fit against the body by placing the 3m tape near that corner. However, it came undone a few days later and lifted off the body on that corner. I looked at the other side which wasn't removed and the 3M tape is not near the corner and the top rear corner is not in contact with the body. I told the body shop that it appears the scoops are designed to fit flush with the rest of the body, but not the top rear corner. They redid the 3M tape and matched the location of the tape like the other side and it now looks like it did when it came from the factory, i.e. the top rear corners are not in contact with the body.

So the top rear corners will always be lifted? :headscratch: I have inspected many California Special mustangs at my local dealer and all the scoops are flush all the way around. My passenger side is perfect, just the drivers side one has the corner lifted. So your scoops were lifting in the rear corners when you got your car from the dealer? Just trying to make sure I understand your response. Thanks

So the top rear corners will always be lifted? :headscratch: I have inspected many California Special mustangs at my local dealer and all the scoops are flush all the way around. My passenger side is perfect, just the drivers side one has the corner lifted. So your scoops were lifting in the rear corners when you got your car from the dealer? Just trying to make sure I understand your response. Thanks

Not in a bad way. They look good to me. It's just that they didn't fit flush in all the other edges unless the top rear corner was sitting higher off the body.

• 4 years later...

:clapping: VERY SIMPLE to fix-get the scoops that adhere to the WINDOW!!! Body's can be OUT of wack, windows are not ...I thunk fur a LONG time because I knew that IF the 3M was not PERFECT and I applied it to my PAINT I would have to PULL or Scrape it off---so my THUKIN paid off- FIT the window PERFECT-no life or Nuttin and they look JUST as good- American Muscle and the COLOR was A-1 Match...Listen to experiance- go for the WINDOW STICK and be HAPPY....the COLOR of my Mustang matches the STUFF that came out of the Hard Core Vietameese in Nam.. Semper- Fi DUDES!!!

Archived