TEAM SHELBY FORUM

So i decided to go SC

Congratulations!

If I can ever do it, I may to with the Paxton also. I love the idea of the Whipple 550, but I can't even fully utilize the 319 I've got! Plus, the Paxton is more in keeping the the "classic" supercharged Shelby Mustang. Plus, you can keep the strut bar installed.

Are you doing the polished? Please post pics, of course, when its done!

I went round and round with Paxton on this. It isn't EPA approved, this process usually takes about a year and its been 2-1/2 for Paxton. If you live in a CARB or EPA certified state, you may not be happy taking the supercharger off to get your car approved.

My plan was to go Paxton for the history, but after talking with numerous Paxton people and getting a "canned" answer, I changed my mind. Good Luck, but, I wanted to make sure you know what you are getting yourself into.

Jim

Ive heard alot about the Paxton not being EPA certified for 07/08, have you found a way around this?

OK, maybe I'm really clueless on this, so someone clear this up for me. And by the way, I am an engineer, so you can use big words :headscratch:

Why does a supercharger need to be certified by the EPA? As long as a car meets the emission standards, that should be the final word, shouldn't it? Why would the EPA care what the method of generating those emissions is, as long as what comes out the tailpipe is within standards.

And secondly, why would one supercharger meet EPA standards and another one not meet them? All a supercharger is doing is supplied pressurized air to the intake manifold. The engine and the emissions shouldn't care (or even know) how it got there.

Someone educate me. What's up with all this EPA stuff?

I'm also considering supercharging my car. If I do go this route, I'd get it done at Tasca, so it would be registered as a GT/SC.

Do you think the value of the car will be worth more if done at a Authorized Mod shop? We already have the real Shelby GT and if you get it done else where you can still put it in the registry as being a super charged Shelby GT it just won't have the name GT/SC. Is it worth several thousand more just to have a piece of paper that says it was done at a mod shop? I'm just curius at how you all feel about this......?

Do you think the value of the car will be worth more if done at a Authorized Mod shop? We already have the real Shelby GT and if you get it done else where you can still put it in the registry as being a super charged Shelby GT it just won't have the name GT/SC. Is it worth several thousand more just to have a piece of paper that says it was done at a mod shop? I'm just curius at how you all feel about this......?

I'm just considering it right now. Haven't worked out all the numbers. I'd have to see what the actual difference in prices will be if Tasca does it or someone else. I'd be more apt to go with Tasca for a little more money because they have done many of these and are a trusted name. Plus I want the side stripes to read Shelby GT/SC.

I don't think that we'll know for 30 years when one of each (one of them a Shelby GT/SC, on the Shelby Registry documented as supercharged by Shelby Automotive, and the other being supercharged by the Owner) goes down the Barrett-Jackson line and we see what prices they each command. So, I think it more of a personal opinion of value. Personally I don't want to supercharge mine unless I can afford to have SAI do it officially and registered GT/SC.

OK, maybe I'm really clueless on this, so someone clear this up for me. And by the way, I am an engineer, so you can use big words :headscratch:

Why does a supercharger need to be certified by the EPA? As long as a car meets the emission standards, that should be the final word, shouldn't it? Why would the EPA care what the method of generating those emissions is, as long as what comes out the tailpipe is within standards.

And secondly, why would one supercharger meet EPA standards and another one not meet them? All a supercharger is doing is supplied pressurized air to the intake manifold. The engine and the emissions shouldn't care (or even know) how it got there.

Someone educate me. What's up with all this EPA stuff?

This is exactly what I have wondered as well. Air going in is air going in. Perhaps the tune required for the Paxton causes increase emissions?

i made up my mind. Gonna install a Paxton Novi2200SL in about a week or two. Can't wait. 450 rwhp here it comes. :happy feet:

I am with you. I don't know what it is, nostalgia or what. I am also going paxton. I like the look and after a test drive of another gt with a paxton versus the whipple, for my style of drving the paxton is my choice. I live in an area where the emmisons testing is not an issue. As far as EPA certified, I am sure they can pick apart any tune if they wanted to. My assumption on the specific superchargers is due to the air/fuel curve for a specific calibration may or may not meet the output standards at some level of operation.

This is the same reason Mount St Helens hasn't erupted again, due to the stringent EPA emission standards for volcanoes.

This is the same reason Mount St Helens hasn't erupted again, due to the stringent EPA emission standards for volcanoes.

Now that's funny!!! We have very stringent emissions laws in the state of Washington. LOL

It's my understanding that Paxton/Shelby has to have the SC tested and approved by the EPA. Because Shelby is a manufacturer, the SC installs have to be certified.

Who's to say you couldn't have a Paxton installed by a local speed shop, with a custom tune to pass emissions. In the state of WA, if you fail emissions twice you're required to spend a minimum of 250.00 to try and bring it up to standards. If it still fails after you've spent the 250, they will give you a pass, because the attempt was made. I personally know people with turbos that have 3 separate tunes on their hand-held programmer, one for emissions, one for everyday driving and one for racing.

Hopefully Paxton can get the SC certified. I've heard they have the 2010 certified.

question is will Paxton go to the expense to re-certify the 2007/2008? Or just move on and go with the 2010? I sent an email to Paxton but did not even receive the courtesy of a response. I also mentioned the issue is being discussed on the Team Shelby site. Again, no response.

Now that's funny!!! We have very stringent emissions laws in the state of Washington. LOL

It's my understanding that Paxton/Shelby has to have the SC tested and approved by the EPA. Because Shelby is a manufacturer, the SC installs have to be certified.

Who's to say you couldn't have a Paxton installed by a local speed shop, with a custom tune to pass emissions. In the state of WA, if you fail emissions twice you're required to spend a minimum of 250.00 to try and bring it up to standards. If it still fails after you've spent the 250, they will give you a pass, because the attempt was made. I personally know people with turbos that have 3 separate tunes on their hand-held programmer, one for emissions, one for everyday driving and one for racing.

Hopefully Paxton can get the SC certified. I've heard they have the 2010 certified.

Sweet ride Dave. Love the rims and the wicked SC/GT decal on the side. Can't wait for mine. So do you feel like a :superhero: when you get in the seat?

Jeff

This is exactly what I have wondered as well. Air going in is air going in. Perhaps the tune required for the Paxton causes increase emissions?

With added air you also add fuel.... The tunes tend to run rich and therefore can emit more unburned fuel. I've noticed my car with the FRPP tune runs waaay more rich than it did stock. Evidenced by the increase in black charcoal on my tailpipe!

I hope this helps. I spoke with a rep at Paxton last week. I was told they just received a 2010 Mustang and were going to start working on it soon. He said if they are successful in getting the 2010 certified, all earlier years should also be certified. With all the legal stuff associated with this it could take between 6 months to a year to complete the certification process.

Archived