TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Maybe Carroll and Ford got this one right?

ShelbyDW

I'll start by saying the GT500 is a sexy, expensive and not to mention fast motor scooter! So don't hate me GT500 drivers and I have a few GT500 freinds. :shift:

That being said, I'm beyond impressed by the SGT. It's quick, nimble, fast and draws more attention than anything I've every driven. Maybe it's because of the limited numbers, or that the SGT drivers park them more often than most other car nuts. I've parked it next to Vipers and the SGT gets the most attention, by far. Maybe Carroll made the line changes to the car for pure functional performance, but "Holy Crap Batman" this is EYE CANDY for the Car Loving Human and is absolutely intoxicating. Damn nice car! This car gets my vote for best ever Carroll Shelby Design! At least so far. :happy feet:

Thanks Carroll. Glad you came back to the Mustang Hood!

ShelbyDW

I'll start by saying the GT500 is a sexy, expensive and not to mention fast motor scooter! So don't hate me GT500 drivers and I have a few GT500 freinds. :shift:

That being said, I'm beyond impressed by the SGT. It's quick, nimble, fast and draws more attention than anything I've every driven. Maybe it's because of the limited numbers, or that the SGT drivers park them more often than most other car nuts. I've parked it next to Vipers and the SGT gets the most attention, by far. Maybe Carroll made the line changes to the car for pure functional performance, but "Holy Crap Batman" this is EYE CANDY for the Car Loving Human and is absolutely intoxicating. Damn nice car! This car gets my vote for best ever Carroll Shelby Design! At least so far. :happy feet:

ShelbyDW

BINGO!!!!

The SGT was Ford and Shelby's marketing disaster. Put any of the available 500+ Superchargers on the SGT (I have the Kenne Bell) and it'll run circles around the stock GT500.

BINGO!!!!

The SGT was Ford and Shelby's marketing disaster. Put any of the available 500+ Superchargers on the SGT (I have the Kenne Bell) and it'll run circles around the stock GT500.

Not fair now??????????

Compare Stock to Stock..........Modified to Modified??????????

Show me the SGT that will SPANK the Super Snake???????????? :hysterical:

Not fair now??????????

Not stock to stock and I didn't say anything about a SS, but for two 500HP cars (a GT/SC or a GT500).

ShelbyDW

NOW THERE IS A EDUCATED AND WELL SPOKEN AMERICAN !!! :hysterical:

post-18850-1241411884_thumb.jpg

post-18850-1241412161_thumb.jpg

post-18850-1241411884_thumb.jpg

post-18850-1241412161_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure what it is exactly about the Shelby GT that makes it look so good. It must just be the combination of things done just right.

As for performance, stock to stock, an SGT is simply not going to keep up w/ a GT500 at the drag strip. However, put them together on a autocross or road course and you've got a potentially different outcome. With it's relatively light weight and Ford Racing suspension, the SGT's prowess is road-racing.

Come to think of it, Carrol Shelby was a road-racer too.

I'm not sure what it is exactly about the Shelby GT that makes it look so good. It must just be the combination of things done just right.

As for performance, stock to stock, an SGT is simply not going to keep up w/ a GT500 at the drag strip. However, put them together on a autocross or road course and you've got a potentially different outcome. With it's relatively light weight and Ford Racing suspension, the SGT's prowess is road-racing.

Come to think of it, Carrol Shelby was a road-racer too.

I am always comparing my 07SGT to the vintage GT350 when asked if it is like the new GT500 or why it isn't. It has the looks of the GT350 along with the road course handling of the old cars, with a modified small block, 2007 version. :happy feet:, plus it is the only pre-title Shelby Mustang in 40 years :stirpot: . It is all good.

I am on my second year of ownership and starting the car show-cruise season again. I certainly get a lot more :camera: than the GT500s or even Super Snakes at the shows.

Ford may have dropped the ball on marketing but Mr. Shelby hit a home run with the car. :victory:

Not fair now??????????

Well it can be done K/B 2.8 Mamoth with built bottom end and 23Lbs of boost = 808 HP and 812 ft/lbs torque = 9.57 at 141 MPH in the 1/4 mile with Automatic none the less.

PJ

Well it can be done K/B 2.8 Mamoth with built bottom end and 23Lbs of boost = 808 HP and 812 ft/lbs torque = 9.57 at 141 MPH in the 1/4 mile with Automatic none the less.

PJ

With 4.6 V8 SOC??????????? Sounds like a short expensive life.......... :rip:

I am always comparing my 07SGT to the vintage GT350 when asked if it is like the new GT500 or why it isn't. It has the looks of the GT350 along with the road course handling of the old cars, with a modified small block, 2007 version. :happy feet: , plus it is the only pre-title Shelby Mustang in 40 years :stirpot: . It is all good.

I am on my second year of ownership and starting the car show-cruise season again. I certainly get a lot more :camera: than the GT500s or even Super Snakes at the shows.

Ford may have dropped the ball on marketing but Mr. Shelby hit a home run with the car. :victory:

So stop taking pictures of your own car & take some of the Super Snakes & G.T 500. :hysterical:

With 4.6 V8 SOC??????????? Sounds like a short expensive life.......... :rip:

3V ALUMINUM BLOCK RACE LONGBLOCK (2005-08 MUSTANG GT)

PN 59500

- This engine was designed for race applications, to meet the needs of high horsepower, high RPM applications.

- Full Dressed

- 1200HP Capable

- Production Italian Teksid Aluminum Block

- Forged Steel Cobra Crankshaft

- Manley CNC I Beam Connecting Rods

- Manley Forged Pistons, Flycut for 3V (2618 high strength material)

- HD Molybdenum Steel Piston Rings

- ARP Main and Head Bolts

- FM Main and Rod Bearings

- Full Race Ported heads, Beehive Springs, Stainless Intake Valves, Inconel Exhaust Valves

- Comp Cams Billet Camshafts

- New VCT timing components, latest revisions

- Powder coated valve covers

$14,900 Outright, $10,995 Exchange

Optional Components

- HO Oil Pump w/Pick Up Tube, Billet Oil Pump Gears, aftermarket oil pan - $650

- SHM/Manley 300M Billet CNC I Beam Rods (1600HP) - $800

- Race Prep Crank (lighten, shot peened, stress relieved and hardened) $1400

ShelbyDW

I have to agree with you about the SGT. I have had a boat load of Mustangs including an 03 tricked-out Terminator that was once featured several years ago in Mustang Enthusiast. The Terminator got a heck of alot of attention and won well over 60 car shows including a grand-slam at an annual event.....however the SGT I have has brought more compliments in the short time I have had it than what the Terminator did. I think the lines of the SGT coupled with the lowering are what draws the eye of the admirers.

CS definitely hit the look-combo that gives this car that sends out that aggressive narcisstic signal. Also most people I found don't particularly care for white cars (including me) because of the "institutional" profiling the color drums up. But same folks who don't like white said the SGT was the first one they actually thought was the best color (beside black) particularly so with the included "ghost" silver striping.

Personally I believe that FORD missed the boat for the 2010 GT redesign as the SGT would have been the best redesign template to use particularly with the ugly backend of the 2010 GT. I think the SGT's look far better than than the 2010 GT design and will still be the preferred design over the 2010 by folks who ever get the chance to see them sitting next to each other at a show.

I wonder if they ever considered naming the Shelby GT the "GT350." If not... I wonder if there will ever be one :headscratch:

What SAI should do is offer an upgrade package to take the SGT to a GT350...it should be strictly an engine performance upgrade since the body and suspension have been nailed. Perhaps a 5 lb. boost blower to take the RWHP up to the 360 range yet not risk the weak internals, a respective tune, long-tube headers and GT350 side striping in place of the SHELBY GT side striping. I think that would make a good and affordable upgrade path for the SGT.

What SAI should do is offer an upgrade package to take the SGT to a GT350...it should be strictly an engine performance upgrade since the body and suspension have been nailed. Perhaps a 5 lb. boost blower to take the RWHP up to the 360 range yet not risk the weak internals, a respective tune, long-tube headers and GT350 side striping in place of the SHELBY GT side striping. I think that would make a good and affordable upgrade path for the SGT.

uhoh here we go :hysterical:

I love the car it's got superb pickup from a dead start and the auto transmission is seamless going through the gears. The only thing I dislike was the Vista Blue ONLY color for 2008. This car would have looked much more intimidating in a mettalic vapor with grey or silver stripes. But I'm keeping it anyways.

I love the car it's got superb pickup from a dead start and the auto transmission is seamless going through the gears. The only thing I dislike was the Vista Blue ONLY color for 2008. This car would have looked much more intimidating in a mettalic vapor with grey or silver stripes. But I'm keeping it anyways.

Go to http://www.tirerack.com/indexA.jsp?s_tnt=10037:1:0 and plug in the Shelby GT, and you cn even pick different colors for it. I thought it was cool. The white with blue stripes look really good.

ShelbyDW

Best looking Mustang ever built!

Is there some history here about this subject I am missing?

yep the upgrade package for the SGT has been talked about and wanted for a long time but it looks like the GT/SC is the only set up we are going to get.

There were 200 (or was it 300) Grabber Orange/white strip cars before the blue ones and 100 Barrett Jackson black/red stripe after.

And without the Kenne Bell it was the best handling car I'd ever owned (including all of my Mercedes) and with the Kenne Bell it is also the fastest sedan (the Cobra now holds first place for overall "fast")

Not stock to stock and I didn't say anything about a SS, but for two 500HP cars (a GT/SC or a GT500).

Hmm. I've seen both at Bandimere's I'd have to put the money on the drivers and not the cars.

I've drove both and found if the Gt500 can get traction then money goes there.

I know a plenty of drivers with Stock GT500's that would take the challenge.

Note I'll watch...

Both great cars.

But you sure can feel that extra 400lbs. in the 500. That's why I started with a Mustang GT.. less weight. Again I track the car at least once a month however.

I still wonder why the GT500 got an iron block when the Ford GT block was available and can be converted to wet sump.

Colin

Hmm. I've seen both at Bandimere's I'd have to put the money on the drivers and not the cars.

I've drove both and found if the Gt500 can get traction then money goes there.

I know a plenty of drivers with Stock GT500's that would take the challenge.

Note I'll watch...

Drag strip is different. My comparison was on a road track.

You have two ways to and end:

1. Get a SGT and put a supercharger on it.

2. Get a GT500 and put a Ford Racing handling suspension pack on it.

In the end they are the same car just different on the outside appearance.

The difference is about 400lbs lighter for the SGT. But the SGT is at the end of it's possibilities. If you want more HP and a bigger blower the GT500 with the cast block is the way to go. For me the 500HP car is enough (since co-pilot can drive it and not be scared) and when I wanted more than that the real answer I went with a Cobra.

Archived