TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Do you keep your car covered??

So what do you do Chuck? Wash more often?

Ok, well, here is the the thing, the less you have to touch your car the better. Anotherwords, any MF towel, wash mitt, duster, cover will over time cause scratches, not so much because of the cover, mitt or towell but because of the stuff on your finish you may not even see that just gets rubbed right into the clear coat.

What I do, is spend nearly an entire day when I do wash my car, dry it good, go over it with some poor boys spray wipe to get any water spots then go over the car with a good spray wax. Then I try and not touch it for at least 2 weeks. I notice that you dont have to wash the car as much if you do a really thourough job less often and each time adding protection.

If the cover goes on, I use the duster at minimum then spray and wipe then put the cover on. I have yet to wash my cover since its always put on a clean car!

If mine was an 08, itd be Alloy I think

haha

Hang in there Chuckstang! Black is the best color of all on all cars, but it requires lots of love.

I learned alot with the black Stang and had that thing looking perfect. I used Einzette with a Porter Cable to get all teh dealer installed marring out of the paint. This was the hardest part, and I used two levels of product. One more aggressive than the other. The more aggressive actually dulled the paint, and when I first saw it, I thought it was game over.... So I moved to the less aggressive and that made it all shiney. Then I moved to Zaino All in One, which cleans all the Einzette off the surface so the regular Zaino will bond to the paint. Last step is the Zaino Z-5, couple layers. It looked like black glass.

Then the next step is never wash it. Only the Cali duster after rides, then a wipe down with a Zaino misted MF and then I'd cover it. The cover did introduce some minor scratching and each spring I'd start over if they looked bad enough.

I learned to not look for absolute perfection, because if you scan the paint in garage lighting or direct reflextion of the sun, you will go mad. Just get it to damn near perfection and consider it good to go!

• 2 years later...

After spending 50-60 hours correcting the paint, I do not use a car cover. Unfortunately anything that touches the paint has the potential to scratch and usually will. It's kept in a climate control shop behind my house and unfortunately does get dusty just like you get in your house despite using better furnace/A-C filters. I use the car as a toy which means nice weather weekend driving only. It's hard for me not to want to do something to the car just seeing it sitting there like quick detail with pinnacle crystal mist, or just apply another coat of wax, but I try to discipline myself. More often than not I just fire up the compressor and use a blow gun attachment to blow the dust off. This also works very well to assist drying the car particularly that honey comb grill and all the jambs that love to harbour water.

Here, in KY, the pollen is like a plague of locusts--it's every where, so even a short drive, or just raising the garage door to get the other vehicle out, results in a thin yellow film on my Alloy vert. Not as bad as on my truck, which lives outdoors, but still bad. I just can't bring myself to gently put a cover on it and take it off every time I want to drive it. I have considered an old sheet or two to throw on it this time of year, but a "car cover".....nah! I've tried it with other cars and they just seem to wind up wadded up in the corner, then you're not sure what's on the inside it it or not...... I usually the wind from a 0-100 romp to get most of the dust off my baby!

TWO covers on my KR. Both a stock cover with the cobra silk-screened on, and a cheap "budge" or something like that over it. The cheap one collects the dust and dirt, and covers up the cobra logo so I can have my garage opened, without the local kids stopping and wanting to see the car. Not too many nice kids around here.

I'm a bit anal when it comes to this stuff. I also use a California Duster before bedtime. When finished for the day, the hood goes up until cool, then she is dusted with a California Duster and then covered. This way, every new day starts out clean.

You are right about the dust forming on the car, I also have a black one and when I put the cover on it stays clean. My problem is when I take it out for a drive dust collects on the car and then I leave the cover off. After I rewash and wax it I will put the cover back on. I love the color when its clean but it wont stay clean very long. I had the chance to buy white with black strips but when I saw the black with red strips on the show room floor I was sold, I'm sure who ever bought the white one does not have the dust problem. I do keep my cover in the trunk when not in use.

You are right about the dust forming on the car, I also have a black one and when I put the cover on it stays clean. My problem is when I take it out for a drive dust collects on the car and then I leave the cover off. After I rewash and wax it I will put the cover back on. I love the color when its clean but it wont stay clean very long. I had the chance to buy white with black strips but when I saw the black with red strips on the show room floor I was sold, I'm sure who ever bought the white one does not have the dust problem. I do keep my cover in the trunk when not in use.

+1 that's how I do it. My cover is used for winter indoor storage mostly. The Shelby indoor covers are super soft and very easy to put on and off.

If you are getting wax residue off of your duster it needs more preparation. A properly initialized California Duster will not do that. Wrap it in newspaper for a while and let it sit out for a week or so. An aged duster is the best duster.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a car cover made of fleece. It's basically a big fleece over sized sheet that goes over the car. It keeps the dust off and is soft enough not to scratch the paint. I rol the sheet out over the car, as opposed to pulling it over the car, thus limiting the chance of scratching it.

I have a car cover made of fleece. It's basically a big fleece over sized sheet that goes over the car. It keeps the dust off and is soft enough not to scratch the paint. I rol the sheet out over the car, as opposed to pulling it over the car, thus limiting the chance of scratching it.

What brand cover do you have. I would consider using one like you described.

Fully covered in the winter and never covered in the spring and summer.

Never washed the car ever, California duster and Mothers Detailer spray with microfiber rag.

Car has never seen a drop of rain.

Car has never been waxed.

Black is beautifull and easy to take care of !

• 2 weeks later...

If I'm flying for extended periods or the top is down, I'll throw my cover on it, in the garage, or if on a road trip, the hotel vallet usually just lets me park it at the curb and cover it. They don't want the liability of something happening to it.

Car-Cover-0109.jpg

Car-Cover-Rear-0108.jpg

Car-Cover-Bag.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived