TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Do you keep your car covered??

I've been keeping my car uncovered in the garage but, being Black, it seems to collect every inch of dust in the garage like a magnet. Today I detailed the car and covered it when done. I was just wondering how many others keep their car covered.

Also, do you just leave the cover in the trunk when not in use?

In the past I've covered it more often, especially after a detail. Then I got into a habit of using a California Duster after a drive then cover it. I would also leave it covered during the winter months when I was not driving it.

This winter I did not cover it so that I could see it whenever I took the trash out. After a couple of months the ebony paint looked terrible but I had a few months of freezing cold to wait before I could clean it.

I guess next year I'll be covering it up for winter again.

Blackgt500 - you are correct. I am amazed that a Sunday drive to Ace hardware results in heat from the vents for about 8 hours.

I think someone here pointed out manifold temps are 1400 or so. I have now gotten into the habit of parking a swamp cooler (blows air only) in front of the grill when I return from an outing.

Another option is to open or partially open the hood to assist w/ cooling.

On Sunday night I pull the car into the garage, dust it off and spot detail it then I cover the car after its cool . On Friday night the cover comes off, gets rolled up, goes into its storage bag and stays in the garage. The cover stays off for the weekend so I can use the car whenever I want :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet: .

GT

On Sunday night I pull the car into the garage, dust it off and spot detail it then I cover the car after its cool . On Friday night the cover comes off, gets rolled up, goes into its storage bag and stays in the garage. The cover stays off for the weekend so I can use the car whenever I want :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet: .

GT

I have a similar ritual. I have one of the super soft Shelby covers (that can be ordered from Shelby accessories) with the matching stripes, but I also have the one that came with the car from the factory on another car (the Ford one that can be ordered with our car). That one is much more "plastic" feeling than the Shelby one...I was wondering as I struggling to put it on tonight (one side was sliding off the car as I worked the other side), do you think it could scratch the paint at all?

I have a similar ritual. I have one of the super soft Shelby covers with matching stripes, but I also have the one that come with the car from the factory on another car. That one is much mire "plastic" feeling than the Shelby one...I was wondering as I struggling to put it on tonight (one side was sliding off the car as I worked the other side), do you think it could scratch the paint at all?

I have a car cover that is a very lightweight nylon almost like a parachute that works great at keeping the dust off. Easy to put on and take off too. Not for outdoors I dont think. It came with another car I bought and I use it on the Shelby

I've been keeping my car uncovered in the garage but, being Black, it seems to collect every inch of dust in the garage like a magnet. Today I detailed the car and covered it when done. I was just wondering how many others keep their car covered.

My garaged '08 SGT is covered while garaged. You're right - it is a dust magnet. I have a California Duster that really cleans it up very well. After driving it I always use the Ice detailer with a microfiber towel to clean it off and then if I know I won't be driving it for mor e than a week I will cover it up.

My garaged '08 SGT is covered while garaged. You're right - it is a dust magnet. I have a California Duster that really cleans it up very well. After driving it I always use the Ice detailer with a microfiber towel to clean it off and then if I know I won't be driving it for mor e than a week I will cover it up.

This is what I do - works great. That California Duster really works great!! Dust it off with that and it's usually good. Use a quick detailer from time to time if you want to bring back the "just waxed" look. Keep in mind this works really just for dust. I've found that if there was dew on the car and it sat overnight, then it needs a wash. If it just collected dust from the garage, the duster will take it right off!!

I keep mine covered in the garage. I got a Weathershield cover from Griot's Garage. It fits great and only takes about a minute to install/remove it.

Jim

This is what i do. During the week the car is covered in my pole building unless I drive it which isn't very often. On the weekend I take the cover off and drive it to where ever I'm going that day. When I get home I park it outside, lift the hood and get the micro fiber cloth and ice and clean up the front of the car. I am amazed how many bugs the front of the car collects during a short drive. After it has cooled enough I then back it into the pole building and do the rest of the car with the micro fiber and ice, then I put the cover on it so it will be ready to go for the next drive. This way the car never really gets very dirty so it doesn't take too long to clean it. The time it takes me to clean it is about 20 to 30 min.

Mine stays in my climate controlled (and security alarmed) shop beside my house, and yes i keep it covered usually. When i am done driving for the day/weekend, i put the car cover on, and just don't roll it down over the hood until the car hood has cooled off completely from the engine heat. Next time i am in my shop i will roll it down to cover the hood.

California duster makes a mess of my black paint though

the wax on it does come off particularly on glass

I didn't want to say anything but since you brought it up I'm not real happy with the results I get from the duster on my Black paint either. It kinda leaves a "Smeared" finish. Only noticible if you really look but it bothers me none the less.

Don' care what you say, covers induce swirls and scratches

I only use one when I have to

I agree.

I only use my cover when I store it over winter. Just keeps it nicer and easier to cleanup in the spring.

Al

I notice that sometimes my C-duster will leave some of the wax behind, too. Usually I see this when it is reeeeally humid outside, or if there is condensation on the car, or something. You probably have done so already, but put the duster on some newspaper and let it soak up some of the parafin wax off the duster (you should leave it for a minimum of 24 hours) - that should help. I can use mine on the windows, too, and no streaks... I haven't noticed any trails on the paint for a long time, either.

The last time it streaked a little I just did a quick detail with Mequar's, and good as new!!

The difficulty I had with my black '02GT is why the GT500 is Alloy....

I learned with the black one, that after the Cali Duster, I would use a quick detailer misted microfiber to wipe off all the wax smears.

I don't have time to cover it, cause I'm driving as much as possible. Also I have not waxed or detailed it in 6 months. I should be suspended, oh wait, that's due to not signing medical records. I used to cover my vette, but 5 min after the cover came off it got dusty.

Black with Red Stripes and I cover mine all the time and live in Dallas. When I get home from a cruise I hit it with C-Duster then quick detailer and it looks great. Put the cover on up to the hood and couple hours after it cools down I put it on the rest of the way. I have the Ford Shelby cover that came with the Red Stripe package and it works nice and doesn't put any scratches or swirls in on the paint.

I didn't want to say anything but since you brought it up I'm not real happy with the results I get from the duster on my Black paint either. It kinda leaves a "Smeared" finish. Only noticible if you really look but it bothers me none the less.

Exactly, it removes dust well but really makes a mess of your finish, almost like someone with greasy hands fondled your car

I even left it out in the sun on newspaper to remove some of the wax but without the wax and it would not work so well so for black paint, nothing works as well, oh wel

Archived