TEAM SHELBY FORUM

300 horsepower Dodge Caliber

robertlane

It is still a puny little 2.4L. But hey, I admire what D/C is doing with their cars. Look at all the hardware the car has. The wheels, huge brakes. Good job.

Now Ford, add a turbo to your new 3.5 V6 and put it in a Mustang.

Hey, Brad. When do you sleep? It's 9.54AM here and you posted 3.37AM.

It is still a puny little 2.4L. But hey, I admire what D/C is doing with their cars. Look at all the hardware the car has. The wheels, huge brakes. Good job.

Ford talks for five years about its performance vehicles, finally gets a limited number of them to the showroom, its dealers anger potential buyers with over inflated prices, creating PR disasters for Ford. Chrysler builds cars. Might there be a lesson here on why it is the best shape of the Big 3? Way to go Chrysler!

Well, it's pretty obvious that D/C doesn't sit on their hands, nor do they take things lying down. Ford could learn something from their approach.....The rate that they roll out SRT products is almost mind-boggling. I fear that Ford might take the opposite tack, and cut the SVT programs down. That would be a big mistake!!!

Ford talks for five years about its performance vehicles, finally gets a limited number of them to the showroom, its dealers anger potential buyers with over inflated prices, creating PR disasters for Ford. Chrysler builds cars. Might there be a lesson here on why it is the best shape of the Big 3? Way to go Chrysler!

Correct. Did you see the Ford Performance Vehicles of Australia? Why is something like that not possible in the US. And look at all those colors. Like Bionic. Man, that is near Grabber Blue.

http://www.fpv.com.au/index.asp

Ford said it wants to act like a small company. D/C is small by comparison, so . . . . But like GT5001 implies, if Ford keeps thinking the way Ford has been and they'll become a small company for sure.

I suspect at least some of the Ford trouble we are seeing over the last year with the GT500 release has to do with internal reshuffling of the talent pool. Some may see the performance folks as a luxury during hard times. Many of us, me included, would argue that having a vibrant performance group is the key to weather the hard times by continually injecting the fun into the product line.

Do you 'style' and market your way to sales? Toyota's example has to say 'No!' They market some truly ooogly vehicles and seem proud of it. People seem to buy them more for reliability, at least the mainstreamers. I just can't help but think that beating the crap out of a real car - not NASCAR car - in racing has to improve the breed. You can't style in reliability, you have to break something and fix it until it's bullet proof within affordability limits. Ma and Pa Kettle may never know how the reliability got there, and they surely don't care. They just know it's reliable. 'Parting Out' SVT and the like is a bad sign in my opinion. Is that the best use of the resource, or is it just 'another use' for it. You know how I feel.

Well, it's pretty obvious that D/C doesn't sit on their hands, nor do they take things lying down. Ford could learn something from their approach.....The rate that they roll out SRT products is almost mind-boggling. I fear that Ford might take the opposite tack, and cut the SVT programs down. That would be a big mistake!!!

I'm afraid you're right too Crispy, Look at DC's products , with all the performance products they've added ,this has enhanced their reputation and credibility in the public eye! Since the merger, their attention to quality has also improved. These two things are vital to a companys image,thus their success!

I hope Ford believes this and will continue to persue both performance and quality with purpose!

Some disturbing news that I've heard..

A good friend of mine works as a financial analyst for a large Wall Street firm. Any way, rumor on the floor of the stock exchange is that one of the Big 3 might not be able to make it out of the current woes. They can't tell me which for fears of insider trader, but I have no reason not to believe them.

If D/C seems to be doing well and both GM and Ford bonds are rated junk, I wonder who he might be talking about.

Something to consider.. :unsure:

Some disturbing news that I've heard..

A good friend of mine works as a financial analyst for a large Wall Street firm. Any way, rumor on the floor of the stock exchange is that one of the Big 3 might not be able to make it out of the current woes. They can't tell me which for fears of insider trader, but I have no reason not to believe them.

If D/C seems to be doing well and both GM and Ford bonds are rated junk, I wonder who he might be talking about.

Something to consider.. :unsure:

It's GMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Any way, rumor on the floor of the stock exchange is that one of the Big 3 might not be able to make it out of the current woes. They can't tell me which for fears of insider trader, but I have no reason not to believe them.

Since when does disclosure of rumors constitute insider trading. :P

What's amazing is that the Caliber isn't even out yet, but the SRT is already announced too.

Heck of a way to intro a new product... actually PLAN and FULFILL CUSTOMER REQUIREMENTS (efficient, but still have powerful options). I know that the big "gas guzzlers" are out of vogue now, but the answer isn't to toss all performance in favor for small/efficient engines. The main theme should be: provide options! Efficient 4 bangers, mid range 6's (new tech!), HP and torque with a few good V8's and power options (turbo or supercharged versions) of each where feasible.

Heck of a way to intro a new product... actually PLAN and FULFILL CUSTOMER REQUIREMENTS (efficient, but still have powerful options). I know that the big "gas guzzlers" are out of vogue now, but the answer isn't to toss all performance in favor for small/efficient engines. The main theme should be: provide options! Efficient 4 bangers, mid range 6's (new tech!), HP and torque with a few good V8's and power options (turbo or supercharged versions) of each where feasible.

My, Joe, we're up late on a school night! :)

I agree totally. Plus, it showcases the manufacturer's capabilities, gives them something to crow about, and provides for a niche market--all at once!

My, Joe, we're up late on a school night! :)

Actually, I am going to school (my MBA 12 yrs after my BA). One night a week in class, but a few late nights doing homework and reading after the kids go to bed.

So, if I'm supposed to be studying, what am I doing posting? A guy needs a break, doesn't he?

Archived