TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Brakes installed

I installed my new front EBC rotors and Hawk HP+ pads tonight. Here are a couple pics. The install went pretty smoothly without any serious difficulty.

The rotors are black zinc, slotted/dimpled, and OEM size. The Goodridge SS lines from Stillen are still on backorder. I'm going to wait till those arrive before installing the stainless steel speed bleeder valves and Motul RBF 660 fluid I've got.

I've got the Hawk pads for the rears too, but still waiting on the matching EBC rear rotors to arrive from Summit.

Ken

DSC05252.jpg

DSC05251.jpg

Looks good, Kahmann! I still have my Baer rotors lying on my workbench in the boxes. I don't have any of the other stuff yet, but I'll get to it eventually.

Thanks a lot guys! I really like how they look too. I can't wait to get this bedding process over with and get the new fluid/lines in. I'll definitely have a 'track report' asap. :)

Ken

Looks good. Are they black? Ken, now you have to install the pod and gauges. Curiuos to see how difficult it is.

Thanks, ya they're black zinc.

And ya I know it LOL, you're right! I've been dreading that install for too long. I'll try to get a DIY up soon.

Ken

lol thats what i thought but at least the noncontact parts of the rotor will stay looking good.

Ya man that's exactly what I found. I was really bummed that the black didn't stay together longer, but it actually looks pretty cool the way it ended up, just like you said.

I'll post a few updated pics in the morning so you can see how they look now.

Ken

sounds good any thoughts on how and if they helped the braking?

Well I'm still breaking them in, so I don't have a 'full report' really.

However, the difference in available bite is already significant over what I had. My stock pads had seen better days though and those emergency Napa rotors I was running weren't a whole lot better!

Either way, so far I'm really impressed by how intense the stopping power of this setup is. I can't wait to put it to a track test (after the Motul and SS lines are in).

I need to pull the driver's side pads off again asap though. I think I forgot the grease on that side, because it's squeaking like crazy. :doh:

Ken

yeah not what you want people looking at youre car for lol

i think i will be upgrading to a set of sloted and drilled rotors and better pads if not this summer then over the winter. i think the brakes are ok for everyday driving but i can see where a track run or an emergency stop could seriously test there limits and its better safe then sorry.

Looks great. You'll love the speed bleeders to. I just installed them today and it takes the wife out of the loop ( which i like ) when bleeding the brakes. Your brakes will be better than stock but not better than the big brake kits , but if you want your 18 in. tires then you really don't have an option. I wanted to keep mine stock also and don't regret it. Great looking car. It should do really good it car shows this summer.

My brakes are still squealing like crazy. I pulled them back apart and re-greased the back of the pads, but that didn't help at all.

Any advice? One guy mentioned that he thought the black zinc coating may now be embedded in my pads, causing the squeal, and that I should sand the pads down a bit. Is there any credence to this?

A few other people have suggested that this is just the nature of the street/track compound, but the squealing seems way worse than what might be typical. It doesn't matter if they're hot or cold, full speed braking or light peddaling at a stop light. It's embarrassing. Help!

Ken

Ken,

How many miles do you have on the new pads??? I went thru the same embarrassing squeal for a little while (HP Plus Pads), but after I went back and applied the red HP brake "grease" things got a lot quieter... I actually forgot to put the stuff on the first time, so I thought I would try it without :censored:

Now that I have a couple hundred miles (including an evening at the track :shift: ) I hardly hear a thing from them :happy feet:

I'm not sure about the zinc coating getting into the pads??? But if you pull everything apart for any reason, I'd say that an 80-grit sanding block ought to be rough enough to scuff the surfaces of the pads and rotors to break any glazing... Then simply go thru the bedding process again...

One thing I do remember from the Hawk website: Block off any cooling ducts during the bedding... Otherwise, the rotors won't reach the proper temps...

My A-47 ducts weren't installed when I re-did the pads, so it didn't apply to me... However, I did get the rotors hot enough to smell them and turn them a nice tint of blue when I brought the car into the driveway for the required cool-down period... But they have worked GREAT ever since...

Good Luck!

Gregg

07SGT0547

Kahmann, did you get the HPS or the HP Plus? The Plus will squeal no matter what on the street, as they are more suited for track use.

edit - the link...

http://www.hawkperformance.com/performance/hpplus.php

I have the HP Plus pads. I hope this squeak isn't permanent! If so, I'm definitely swapping them out.

Ken,

How many miles do you have on the new pads??? I went thru the same embarrassing squeal for a little while (HP Plus Pads), but after I went back and applied the red HP brake "grease" things got a lot quieter... I actually forgot to put the stuff on the first time, so I thought I would try it without :censored:

Now that I have a couple hundred miles (including an evening at the track :shift: ) I hardly hear a thing from them :happy feet:

I'm not sure about the zinc coating getting into the pads??? But if you pull everything apart for any reason, I'd say that an 80-grit sanding block ought to be rough enough to scuff the surfaces of the pads and rotors to break any glazing... Then simply go thru the bedding process again...

One thing I do remember from the Hawk website: Block off any cooling ducts during the bedding... Otherwise, the rotors won't reach the proper temps...

My A-47 ducts weren't installed when I re-did the pads, so it didn't apply to me... However, I did get the rotors hot enough to smell them and turn them a nice tint of blue when I brought the car into the driveway for the required cool-down period... But they have worked GREAT ever since...

Good Luck!

Gregg

07SGT0547

Hey Gregg, I've got over 500 miles on them already and it's as bad as ever. I don't have the ducts hooked up, so that's not an issue. I think I'll try sanding them down just a bit before I junk them. I'll let ya know how it goes.

Ken

I have the HP Plus pads. I hope this squeak isn't permanent! If so, I'm definitely swapping them out.

Hey Gregg, I've got over 500 miles on them already and it's as bad as ever. I don't have the ducts hooked up, so that's not an issue. I think I'll try sanding them down just a bit before I junk them. I'll let ya know how it goes.

Ken

Good Luck! I thought I was just going to have to "live with it" when the squeaking started on mine... Especially after I had 250-300 miles on the HP pads and nothing helped :headscratch: But now they are hardly noticeable... It just seemed to get a little better each time I drove the car...

Gregg

Good Luck! I thought I was just going to have to "live with it" when the squeaking started on mine... Especially after I had 250-300 miles on the HP pads and nothing helped :headscratch: But now they are hardly noticeable... It just seemed to get a little better each time I drove the car...

Gregg

Today is the first day that the squealing has quieted down at all. I'm very hopeful that they'll continue getting more and more quiet.

It's a huge relief for me, because I was dreading driving this thing around town, due to the overwhelming noise from the brakes!

Anyway, just a quick update to let you all know that my pad/rotor combo seems to finally be working out the way I intended it to.

Now onto the rears. :)

Ken

Archived