TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Revised 2007 - 2009 Clutch Drag TSB 09-09-02

Grabber

I have 13k on my car, June 2007 build. bought it in Oct. '07. I am waiting for the s**t to hit the fan but the only problem I seem to have is getting locked out of second occasionally when driving spiritedly. Like 1 out of 10 runs at No Problem... It is embarrassing and prolly hard on the gears. I always check to see if the car rolls with clutch depressed in first gear but that doesnt' happen. I don't push the clutch in all the way all the time when driving normally with no issues, I just treat it like any of the many standards I've driven in the past.

When I get locked out of second no matter what I do it doesn't go in until the RPMs drop way down even with the clutch depressed all the way. I may be miss shifting from first to second in the heat of the drags but I am pretty conscious about the 1st to 2nd shift mashing the clutch pedal all the way.

Does this sound familiar as a tsb item? yet?

My clutch pedal has a low whistling sound under the dash when depressing occasionally Does this sound familiar?

Thanks guys

scott

Obviously others are going to chime in, and I may be wrong, but I think that getting locked out of second is definitely an issue. I know that "grinding" into different gears is a symptom under the TSB. And would you consider the "whistling" sounds as a hiss?

Obviously others are going to chime in, and I may be wrong, but I think that getting locked out of second is definitely an issue. I know that "grinding" into different gears is a symptom under the TSB. And would you consider the "whistling" sounds as a hiss?

The whistle comes while depressing and it has something to do with the pedal and the way it actuates the clutch, I am thinking squeaky clutch pedal...?

And thanks for the reply

Edited by rsfdiver

• 2 weeks later...

I am new here but I have had a GT500 since last October.

Here is the deal. Last week I noticed that when I went full throttle the engine RPM's would run up to red line (with the clutch engaged) then come back to the right level and then the power would hit the wheels. If I slowly push the throttle down (i.e. not engaging the supercharger) the tranny/clutch/differential never slips. The power goes straight to the wheels.

The slippage is consistent and ONLY when I go full bore and the SC spools. I have 0 issues switching gears and I only slip it into gear in 1st.

I plan to take the car to the dealer in the morning and blame the TSB. If you search the net a little you will find several people with 07 Shelby's that have fried their clutches around 14-17k miles which means mine isn't unreasonable (13.5k miles).

Also, the slippage occurs in every gear (1-6) but didn't try reverse for obvious safety reasons. I fully disengage the clutch when shifting. I haven't hard launched the car more than 3-4 times. There is excessive wheel hop which I cured with some extra weight in the rear until I can get down to business and pay to have the suspension upgraded properly.

There are 0 mods to the car.

Thoughts?

I have a 2007 Shelby GT500.

Update:

The car is out of warranty by less than 2 weeks (original purchase date of 8/2/06) but I've had it for less than a year.

Dealer is being difficult but they are running diagnostics to see if my slipping clutch diagnostic is accurate.

Well that sucks, doubt your gonna get anything done unless your a very good customer of that dealership. I talked to my manager today, told me to get the parts coming, so I hope to have this fixed by the end of the week.

I just got my mustang back from the 2nd dealer I took it to ,after waiting a month for parts. The first dealer I took the car to would not look at the problem with my failed clutch at 14,000 mi. I contacted Ford and got into a discussion about the fact that my clutch is out of warranty,but should not have failed at 14k. They agreed with me and said I should not have a problem getting the work done. It was not a full acknowledgement,but it was enough for the dealers to hear that from Ford to get my work done. The first dealer did not have the input shaft puller to perform the work,so I contacted Ford again and they found me a dealer that did have the puller. I waited a month for them to get all the parts in. Well, I pick up my car on late friday evening after being at 2 different dealerships for almost 2 months. I just wanted my car back. It was dirty. They offered to detail it, but I declined and planned on washing and detailing myself. WELL, next day I go to wash the car and it is covered in paint overspray below the dirt. I took it back and they claybarred the whole car. Now, I finally have my mustang back. I want to thank everyone here for the info and support with this problem. If not for this forum, I would not have known of the TSB, and would have a large out of pocket bill. Thanks Rich

Edited by BLU500

I just got my mustang back from the 2nd dealer I took it to ,after waiting a month for parts. The first dealer I took the car to would not look at the problem with my failed clutch at 14,000 mi. I contacted Ford and got into a discussion about the fact that my clutch is out of warranty,but should not have failed at 14k. They agreed with me and said I should not have a problem getting the work done. It was not a full acknowledgement,but it was enough for the dealers to hear that from Ford to get my work done. The first dealer did not have the input shaft puller to perform the work,so I contacted Ford again and they found me a dealer that did have the puller. I waited a month for them to get all the parts in. Well, I pick up my car on late friday evening after being at 2 different dealerships for almost 2 months. I just wanted my car back. It was dirty. They offered to detail it, but I declined and planned on washing and detailing myself. WELL, next day I go to wash the car and it is covered in paint overspray below the dirt. I took it back and they claybarred the whole car. Now, I finally have my mustang back. I want to thank everyone here for the info and support with this problem. If not for this forum, I would not have known of the TSB, and would have a large out of pocket bill. Thanks Rich

What number did you call when you contacted Ford? I may have to do the same.

What number did you call when you contacted Ford? I may have to do the same.

Absolutely - call Ford. With symptoms like yours, you shouldn't have an issue (your clutch is definitely slipping). Ford seems to have gotten a little more difficult with doing the TSB, but if you have your ducks in a row you should be able to get it done under warranty. Ford knows there's a problem. If you don't know your stuff, sure, they're going to try and get away without paying for it. This is talking about the dealerships of course, because they are all different. Some will do it without an issue, others give you a little trouble.

Good luck!

Absolutely - call Ford. With symptoms like yours, you shouldn't have an issue (your clutch is definitely slipping). Ford seems to have gotten a little more difficult with doing the TSB, but if you have your ducks in a row you should be able to get it done under warranty. Ford knows there's a problem. If you don't know your stuff, sure, they're going to try and get away without paying for it. This is talking about the dealerships of course, because they are all different. Some will do it without an issue, others give you a little trouble.

Good luck!

They quoted me $3k to do the repairs then backed off to $2k and that didn't include the transmission input shaft. Never mind the fact that a stage 3 SPEC clutch installed costs less than the OEM replacement after $1k discount. Dumb bastards.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

Not that I'm hoping for these symptoms, but does anyone know what percentage of 2008 GT500s have had this done? I haven't yet experienced the main issues...should I be concerned yet? What should I do...take it down to the dealer or just wait for something to happen?

Please help...I want to be proactive. Thanks!

Just wait till it starts having the symptoms, you can get anything done till then. Just cross your fingers and hope it happens before your 3/36 warranty runs out. Mine lasted 5000 miles, others didn't last even close to 5000 miles.

I agree, but my problem is that I only have about 1600 miles on her, and she's only 18 months old.

I did take out the longest extended warrantly, but I haven't look at it since I bought the car...I'm sure it covers past 3/36, no?

Please advise.

Also, do you live in the North or the South...I'm in the Northeast...perhaps the symptoms would take longer to develop due to the weather???

I picked up my Shelby yesterday after waiting almost 4 weeks for the TSB to be completed. According to the dealer that did the work, Ford sent all the parts months ago except for the pilot bearing and that was the cause of the delay. So my car just sat for weeks disassembled waiting on that :censored: bearing to arrive.

It was pouring when I got it so I only drove it about 1/2 mile home but what a difference. The clutch pedal is extremely light and the clutch engages almost immediately, shifts are now really smooth. The weather stills sucks here today so I'm going to take her for a nice long ride tomorrow to really put it through the paces.

On other note, they disconnected my battery to do the work and never cracked open the drivers side window so the weather stripping by the mirror got damaged since the window drop down feature was not working. Also, at some point between 7:00PM Thursday night and 9:00 AM yesterday morning when I picked up the car, somebody put a nice big dent in my drivers side quarter panel. They ordered a new weatherstrip yesterday and said they would fix the dent in the body shop but I declined the offer and told them I want to bring the car to my guy to fix it, the service manager agreed to pay for the damage and wrote it on my invoice. Kinda pisses me off that they were not a little more careful as both of those things could have been easily avoided with a little more attention to detail.

Thank God I followed Grabbers instructions and covered up the entire interior, masked off the sill plates, center console, and pedals. At least none of those items got damaged.

It was pouring when I got it so I only drove it about 1/2 mile home but what a difference. The clutch pedal is extremely light and the clutch engages almost immediately, shifts are now really smooth. The weather stills sucks here today so I'm going to take her for a nice long ride tomorrow to really put it through the paces.

Glad to see I am not the only one that feels that the clutch is real light now, works great. I had to do a oil change on a 08 or 09 gt500 that came in today at work, the clutch is much harder compared to mine. Maybe that lube on the splines are working! :)

Have one of those paint less dent remover guys look at the dent. Maybe they can get it out with out repair work. Sorry that had to happen.

Let us know how the car preforms as you break it in.

Thanks, I feel like one of my kids got hurt. I'm all set to bring it in next Tuesday, it's only going to cost the dealer $85.00. With the top down they have access to the dent and won't have to take anything apart. :happy feet:

I put about 100 miles on her over the last two days and the new clutch has preformed flawlessly, night and day difference over the original set up! It feels even better now than it did when I first picked it up on Friday.

Thanks, I feel like one of my kids got hurt. I'm all set to bring it in next Tuesday, it's only going to cost the dealer $85.00. With the top down they have access to the dent and won't have to take anything apart. :happy feet:

I put about 100 miles on her over the last two days and the new clutch has preformed flawlessly, night and day difference over the original set up! It feels even better now than it did when I first picked it up on Friday.

This is great news. Congrats.

Now as soon as the repair is complete...you can put this all behind you and start enjoying your car again.

I know how you feel.

Hang in there bud. :)

• 3 months later...

Exactly why I traded my 07 GT500 for a Lexus yesterday. I hope you folks have good luck with your cars. Mine was perfect but also a ticking time bomb and no dealer would do the TSB.

I happened to see the car after it was traded in and went out to look at it, when I looked in through the glass I saw an old man(me) and asked myself what i was waiting for, always wanted a Shelby. I got the TSB done at mac Haik Ford in Houston without any problems.

IMG_9834 cobra side resized.JPG

IMG_9834 cobra side resized.JPG

Edited by bcinu

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Greetings!

I have been reading through all of the various commentary regarding issues surrounding failure of the pre-August 15, 1998 flywheel issue. My GT-500 was produced on 8-11-08 and I have less than 19K on the vehicle. The first indication that I had of any trouble was a racing tachometer under medium acceleration first in the upper gears, then a week later in all gears. Most of the common indications of normal operation I'd already encountered...all of them I believe. When I'd made mention of all of these prior to reading the TSB myself to my service manager, he only noted that he would take a look at the car if the condition worsened (nothing about bringing the vehicle to validate/verify any troubles). I was asked to bring the Shelby in and to drop it off overnight which I did. The following afternoon I received a call from the service manager who informed me that the clutch had gone out and that it was going to cost +$2500 to replace. My concern was that my previous car was a 2001 Saleen Mustang and all of my frustrations came out on that vehicle but not the Shelby.

When I made the on-line search for "Shelby GT500 2009 clutch problems", that is when I found all of the forum notifications as well as some significant input by several of your members (Grabber in particular). I spent the better part of an evening reading through all of the commentary and background supporting the flywheel issues, member feedback as well as the included TSB information. Armed with the two TSB's and background data, I returned to the service manager and informed him that I believed that the clutch failure was asymptomatic and recounted several previous discussions with the service manager on the Shelby's general characteristics. Namely, that I noticed the transmission would get very hot and that only on two occasions had the car ever been close to heavy stop/go traffic. I'd also reminded him that I was Ford family with my father-in-law and brother-in-law both retiring from Ford's production plant in Wixom, Michigan.

I have an extremely good relationship with our Ford dealership and I am on a first name basis with the service manager for all of my vehicles. He noted that the flywheel was most likely the cause of the clutch failure and all costs would most likely be covered under the powertrain warranty. I'm understanding that the 8.5 inch flywheel and ceramic clutch is no longer used and replaced by the 10.0 inch flywheel and organic clutch. Is this correct?

What I saw under the car was a pile of clutch dust and a flywheel with four pronounced heavy oxidation spots at the 10, 2, 4 and 8 o'clock positions.

Thanks for any input or commentary.

Greetings!

I have been reading through all of the various commentary regarding issues surrounding failure of the pre-August 15, 1998 flywheel issue. My GT-500 was produced on 8-11-08 and I have less than 19K on the vehicle. The first indication that I had of any trouble was a racing tachometer under medium acceleration first in the upper gears, then a week later in all gears. Most of the common indications of normal operation I'd already encountered...all of them I believe. When I'd made mention of all of these prior to reading the TSB myself to my service manager, he only noted that he would take a look at the car if the condition worsened (nothing about bringing the vehicle to validate/verify any troubles). I was asked to bring the Shelby in and to drop it off overnight which I did. The following afternoon I received a call from the service manager who informed me that the clutch had gone out and that it was going to cost +$2500 to replace. My concern was that my previous car was a 2001 Saleen Mustang and all of my frustrations came out on that vehicle but not the Shelby.

When I made the on-line search for "Shelby GT500 2009 clutch problems", that is when I found all of the forum notifications as well as some significant input by several of your members (Grabber in particular). I spent the better part of an evening reading through all of the commentary and background supporting the flywheel issues, member feedback as well as the included TSB information. Armed with the two TSB's and background data, I returned to the service manager and informed him that I believed that the clutch failure was asymptomatic and recounted several previous discussions with the service manager on the Shelby's general characteristics. Namely, that I noticed the transmission would get very hot and that only on two occasions had the car ever been close to heavy stop/go traffic. I'd also reminded him that I was Ford family with my father-in-law and brother-in-law both retiring from Ford's production plant in Wixom, Michigan.

I have an extremely good relationship with our Ford dealership and I am on a first name basis with the service manager for all of my vehicles. He noted that the flywheel was most likely the cause of the clutch failure and all costs would most likely be covered under the powertrain warranty. I'm understanding that the 8.5 inch flywheel and ceramic clutch is no longer used and replaced by the 10.0 inch flywheel and organic clutch. Is this correct?

What I saw under the car was a pile of clutch dust and a flywheel with four pronounced heavy oxidation spots at the 10, 2, 4 and 8 o'clock positions.

Thanks for any input or commentary.

Yes the 2010 organic clutch is going in the 2007-2009 GT500's now. It is sweet to drive. Read the thread on it:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/76365-clutch-drag-tsb-4th-revision-143818-if-you-have-to-pay-for-it/#entry1332922

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so I posted on another tread around this topic. I have a 2007 that I got the TSB at 2.5 years into my 3/36 warranty at 5000 miles. Car was put into service on 2/4/2007. The TSB that switched out to the 2010 flywheel/clutch was posted 2/12/12, seven days after my warranty expired. Two days ago, I ran over something in the open road and a few minutes later my clutch would not dis-engage. Mile milage is at 10K miles.

What is shameful is they switched to a new TSP, basically telling everyone they have issues with the earlier equipment, but the early adoptors of the GT500 are stuck as the modification to the TSP came out after most warranties expired (2007 was 3/36 and did not ahve the 5/60 till 2008).

I talked to Ford care at 800-392-3673 and they said there is nothing they can do.

In my mind, with 4 TSP changes around the same issue, they would call a factory recall, especially since they went to the 2010 flywheel on revison 4.

I encourage ANYONE that is having this issue (power of social media) call Ford and complain. They log each complaint and are audited to determine if an issue is a factory recall. Even those of you that switched out to a different flywheel/clutch assembly should call if you had any issues with the factory 07/09 parts.

Power of the people!