TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Revised 2007 - 2009 Clutch Drag TSB 09-09-02

Grabber

saweeet that is good news

I plan to have some work done at Tasca and will mention it to them and see if they will order the parts for me

I have now had my tranny stuck in 1st gear temporarily twice and reverse once

This is all in the past 2 months and I never had any signs prior so I'm thinking my time is near :(

Mine has only locked up on me once. I may have forced it too fast that one time, but it would have stunk if I was racing someone at the time. When mine is cold it grinds into second and reverse.

I'm hoping this repair will subside my chatter at take off and reverse once and for all.

I get quite stressed in stop and go traffic. Nothings more embarrasing than stalling it when people are admiring your car. Let me know how you make out with yours.

I amended Post #1 so you guys could see the full TSB photos. Thanks to Joegaz on SM for making this possible. Click on the header to make it bigger.

TSBXPS1.jpg

TSBXPS2.jpg

TSBXPS3.jpg

Edited by Grabber

The only other part that is revised is the Tranny inputshaft.

...and yes you need that replaced !!!!!

Grabber

Is there a cut-off date for needing the new Tranny inputshaft. My car is a February 2008 build. Will I need the new input shaft or just the flywheel & clutch.

Thank You,

overtime

Grabber

Is there a cut-off date for needing the new Tranny inputshaft. My car is a February 2008 build. Will I need the new input shaft or just the flywheel & clutch.

Thank You,

overtime

My data on that is in this thread.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...ic=23884&hl=

• 4 weeks later...
saweeet that is good news

I plan to have some work done at Tasca and will mention it to them and see if they will order the parts for me

I have now had my tranny stuck in 1st gear temporarily twice and reverse once

This is all in the past 2 months and I never had any signs prior so I'm thinking my time is near :(

Here we go Chuck, all the parts are in and scheduled for next Monday June 1st. I'll keep you posted.

I'm hoping this repair will subside my chatter at take off and reverse once and for all.

Unfortunately, the TSB repair WILL NOT change the characteristics of the OEM clutch engagement at low speeds due to the friction material makeup of the clutch discs. In other words, there will always be some chatter!!

Great thanks!

Hey was your car having symptoms?

Severe chatter in first and reverse, hard to shift (crunching) first to second, 4th to 5th, 2nd to 1st, and clutch hissing with pedal fully pressed in.

I will update next week when I get it back. They figure two days and have a loaner waiting Monday for me at dealership.

First I would like to take the opportunity to thank you all for the continued support and advice I get here on T\S. A special Thank You goes to you Grabber for your continued support you give us all on the flywheel TSB repair. If not for you and others sharing their experiences I would probably have never found out in time to have this work repaired while under warranty.

Second I would like to thank the entire folks over at Tasca Ford for treating me with prompt, courteous, professional service for repairing my Shelby. I did not buy my Shelby from Tasca, but they sure treated me like a member of their family. Some of you know it started for me last October with Tasca and with the help from Dennis Gomes and John Garcia I am a happy camper right now. :happy feet:

Although it took a few extra days to complete my Shelby I was truly amazed this morning getting into it. First I did a complete visual check and found no problems. I can normally spot a spec on my Shelby from 200 feet away and found both the inside and out as clean and as detailed as I made it last week before bringing it in for service.

I noticed a huge difference as soon as my left foot touched the clutch pedal. I get the same reaction whenever I go from my Shelby to the clutch pedal in my 66. It goes down so easy I'm affraid I may put my foot right thru the floor. I drove it around a little bit in their parking lot and had no chatter at all and very low rpm's. One thing I did notice on my drive home this morning is I am going to have to learn all over again driving this Shelby. I found myself reving the engine to pull away from a stop and riding the clutch longer than I should. I will get acustom to getting my foot off the clutch over the next few days, but what a huge difference.

The shifter is much better, but I still have a bit of the notchy feeling going 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st. Again I'm sure it's something that should improve as I get refimiliar learning to drive this Shelby all over again.

Anyone having any doubt as to whether or not to bring theirs in I say get it in soon before the warranty's run out. As for any doubt whether to bring it to Tasca or not, rest assured they will treat you and your Shelby first class.

I will contiue to update over the next few months as I drive it more, but for right now I am 100% happy and for someone like me to find no fault in anything is shocking.

Thanks Again to All

Brian

Well, problem is the TSB does not just replace the clutch and flywheel, other parts need to be replaced as well so even if you want to take your own coin and buy a new clutch/flywheel you still will not have all the new upgraded parts.

IMO

It is discrimination that Ford thinks some deserve the new upgraded parts while others do not. It is a fact that people who bought an 09 after a certain date have a completely different flywheel and input shaft then what is in my car.

All should be replaced under warranty no questions asked.

Syncro's are changed as they were damaged due to the clutch failing...........change the clutch to a REAL clutch before it happens..........that's what I'm doing. The very first slight sign of a problem, I'm switching it out.

First I would like to take the opportunity to thank you all for the continued support and advice I get here on T\S. A special Thank You goes to you Grabber for your continued support you give us all on the flywheel TSB repair. If not for you and others sharing their experiences I would probably have never found out in time to have this work repaired while under warranty.

Second I would like to thank the entire folks over at Tasca Ford for treating me with prompt, courteous, professional service for repairing my Shelby. I did not buy my Shelby from Tasca, but they sure treated me like a member of their family. Some of you know it started for me last October with Tasca and with the help from Dennis Gomes and John Garcia I am a happy camper right now. :happy feet:

Although it took a few extra days to complete my Shelby I was truly amazed this morning getting into it. First I did a complete visual check and found no problems. I can normally spot a spec on my Shelby from 200 feet away and found both the inside and out as clean and as detailed as I made it last week before bringing it in for service.

I noticed a huge difference as soon as my left foot touched the clutch pedal. I get the same reaction whenever I go from my Shelby to the clutch pedal in my 66. It goes down so easy I'm affraid I may put my foot right thru the floor. I drove it around a little bit in their parking lot and had no chatter at all and very low rpm's. One thing I did notice on my drive home this morning is I am going to have to learn all over again driving this Shelby. I found myself reving the engine to pull away from a stop and riding the clutch longer than I should. I will get acustom to getting my foot off the clutch over the next few days, but what a huge difference.

The shifter is much better, but I still have a bit of the notchy feeling going 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st. Again I'm sure it's something that should improve as I get refimiliar learning to drive this Shelby all over again.

Anyone having any doubt as to whether or not to bring theirs in I say get it in soon before the warranty's run out. As for any doubt whether to bring it to Tasca or not, rest assured they will treat you and your Shelby first class.

I will contiue to update over the next few months as I drive it more, but for right now I am 100% happy and for someone like me to find no fault in anything is shocking.

Thanks Again to All

Brian

Congrats and thank you!

I was glad to hear your car did not have any dents or scratches as well. Job well done

I will have to get in touch with Dennis

thanks Brian

charlie

I am finally getting mine done on Monday.

No problems at all, in fact I brought it in last year and the dealer told me to drive it for the rest of the summer and bring it back in the spring of 09 (We only get summer driving where I live because of winter). I brought it back last week, they tested it, called me and said that they got approval from Ford to do the complete TSB repair.

I had no problems or hassles at all although mine is noticable not right. Hissing and gear grinding going into reverse.

I just had my clutch replaced under the revised TSB. What is the bottom line? Am I supposed to push the pedal all the way to the floor or just partially in when shifting? Also, do I have to now go to neutral when approaching a stop or will downshifting cause excess wear on the clutch? It was a fight to get the dealer to accept the TSB and cover the repair under warranty, so I would appereciate any advice on the proper way of driving a Shelby(if it is any different than any other manual transmission), so to avoid this problem again.

The clutch had complete slippage at 14,800 miles, I have been driving manual transmission cars for 20 years and have never had a problem.

I just had my clutch replaced under the revised TSB. What is the bottom line? Am I supposed to push the pedal all the way to the floor or just partially in when shifting? Also, do I have to now go to neutral when approaching a stop or will downshifting cause excess wear on the clutch? It was a fight to get the dealer to accept the TSB and cover the repair under warranty, so I would appereciate any advice on the proper way of driving a Shelby(if it is any different than any other manual transmission), so to avoid this problem again.

The clutch had complete slippage at 14,800 miles, I have been driving manual transmission cars for 20 years and have never had a problem.

Push the clutch pedal all the way in when shifting. It's OK to down shift, however I hardly ever downshift into first. No point in doing that and I'm sure it wears on the parts. I personally go from 2nd to nuetral when approaching a stop. When you are stopped and waiting for the light to turn green, keep it in nuetral untill it's time to go.

Does it strain the clutch/tranny to have your foot holding the clutch pedal all the way to the floor while having the shifter in neutral when waiting at a stop light?

I am wondering if it makes a difference since the shifter is in neutral vs in a gear?

hope that makes sense, I have always wondered this!

Does it strain the clutch/tranny to have your foot holding the clutch pedal all the way to the floor while having the shifter in neutral when waiting at a stop light?

I am wondering if it makes a difference since the shifter is in neutral vs in a gear?

hope that makes sense, I have always wondered this!

Chuck,

When you do that....you are making the CSC (Concentric Slave Cylinder) "throw out bearing" work for nothing. This will shorten the life of your clutch.

Rob

Personally I think it will make it harder to get the warranty work approved.

The problem$ that the prior Ford engineer$ said was a problem$ are now not problem$.

Read the old TSB and you will see what I mean.

GT500_Clutch_drag_TSB_08_16_04.pdf

I'm not going to dispute that it may make things harder in the future, but I will put in a plug for San Tan Ford in Gilbert, AZ. I didn't purchase my GT500 there, but I am using them for service (800 miles too far to drive for the purchase dealership). When I took it in for a couple of minor issues (airbag light on and CD error message plus oil change), they actually asked me if I had the TSB performed; I told them I would like them to look at it, and they completed the repairs on time with parts they had on-hand, instead of what I had been warned was a "take it in, verify it needs it, and bring it back 1-2 weeks later when the parts come in". This all happened the week of 18 May, almost a full 30 days after the TSB change was published. I think it ultimately depends on the dealership you go to, and what they want to do for you.

Hi everyone, I have an 07 vista blue/white stripe with a little over 14k miles. I just had my clutch go away yesterday. It started to slip so bad I barely got the car home,but I can drive it to the dealer when the time comes. I am going to go to the dealer this week and hopefully they will treat me right. Do I need to take a copy of the TSB with me. Thanks

Hi everyone, I have an 07 vista blue/white stripe with a little over 14k miles. I just had my clutch go away yesterday. It started to slip so bad I barely got the car home,but I can drive it to the dealer when the time comes. I am going to go to the dealer this week and hopefully they will treat me right. Do I need to take a copy of the TSB with me. Thanks

Honestly it really wouldn't hurt, but it depends on how much the dealership knows about the TSB. Might keep it in your bag just in case! Sorry to hear that your clutch went, and good luck on the TSB!!

Welcome to the forum, too!

• 1 month later...

I have a '07 GT500, and live in Europe. No TSB here - bah! they even didn't want to change my oil at dealerships!

I think I'm starting to get bad symptoms, and now if I understand correctly:

- changing clutch and flywheel won't help, right? Main problem is in the rusty shaft, and to small clutch bearing. So changing clutch won't fix this.

Is there any way to fix this issue without oppening the gearbox and changing the shaft? Maybe larger clutch bearing?

Thanks in advance for help,

I have a '07 GT500, and live in Europe. No TSB here - bah! they even didn't want to change my oil at dealerships!

I think I'm starting to get bad symptoms, and now if I understand correctly:

- changing clutch and flywheel won't help, right? Main problem is in the rusty shaft, and to small clutch bearing. So changing clutch won't fix this.

Is there any way to fix this issue without oppening the gearbox and changing the shaft? Maybe larger clutch bearing?

Thanks in advance for help,

The only fix on the 2007 is to have the entire TSB parts installed. Clutch, flywheel and inputshaft on the tranny with the syncros. If you can't find a qualified installer...you are going to have to order a new complete tranny out of the crate.

Sorry...I know that's not what you wanted to hear.

My clutch has always had the hard engagement into 1st and reverse. Went to the dealership 3 times and they denied the TSB work. While I was at Mustang Week the clutch started slipping really bad! I drove it back to Ohio and took it back to the Dealership. They told me that before they could do the TSB that Ford was sending down an engineer from Detroit to inspect my car. :banghead:

They just inspected my car and have approved the TSB work!!!! :happy feet: What a pain in the backside.... I noticed that there was no pdf of the TSB posted, so I made one. All I can say is be persitent, professional & courteous and don't give up. Ford knows they have a problem and it appears that they are still fixing these cars. Good Luck to all of those with problems...

Stuart

PS - I have an early build car 14 Aug 2006, mileage 29,000

tsb09902.pdf

tsb09902.pdf

Edited by SpeedRacer

My clutch has always had the hard engagement into 1st and reverse. Went to the dealership 3 times and they denied the TSB work. While I was at Mustang Week the clutch started slipping really bad! I drove it back to Ohio and took it back to the Dealership. They told me that before they could do the TSB that Ford was sending down an engineer from Detroit to inspect my car. :banghead:

They just inspected my car and have approved the TSB work!!!! :happy feet: What a pain in the backside.... I noticed that there was no pdf of the TSB posted, so I made one. All I can say is be persitent, professional & courteous and don't give up. Ford knows they have a problem and it appears that they are still fixing these cars. Good Luck to all of those with problems...

Stuart

PS - I have an early build car 14 Aug 2006, mileage 29,000

Speedy,

Great news that they are taking car of you.

Congrats. :happy feet:

Speedy,

Great news that they are taking car of you.

Congrats. :happy feet:

Rob,

Thanks... Yeah, finally after a year and a half of taking the car in they are fixing it. Can't wait to get it back! :happy feet: Thanks again. Best of regards.

Stuart

I have 13k on my car, June 2007 build. bought it in Oct. '07. I am waiting for the s**t to hit the fan but the only problem I seem to have is getting locked out of second occasionally when driving spiritedly. Like 1 out of 10 runs at No Problem... It is embarrassing and prolly hard on the gears. I always check to see if the car rolls with clutch depressed in first gear but that doesnt' happen. I don't push the clutch in all the way all the time when driving normally with no issues, I just treat it like any of the many standards I've driven in the past.

When I get locked out of second no matter what I do it doesn't go in until the RPMs drop way down even with the clutch depressed all the way. I may be miss shifting from first to second in the heat of the drags but I am pretty conscious about the 1st to 2nd shift mashing the clutch pedal all the way.

Does this sound familiar as a tsb item? yet?

My clutch pedal has a low whistling sound under the dash when depressing occasionally Does this sound familiar?

Thanks guys

scott

Edited by rsfdiver