TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Transmission FYI

I recently had the opportunity to discuss our transmission(TR-6060 aka T-56 Magnum) with a technician from Tremec.

I questioned him about the trans fluid being used post tsb on are cars, Mercon V.

Was this the correct fluid since the transmission has a label on it theat says Dexron 3 only?

His answer was Dexron 3 is the factory fill.

He also said mercon V will work but the shift quality will not be as good. He didn't say about long term health of the transmission.

Well I have had the TSB done and have noticed the gear engagement was not what I thought it should be so I have changed the fluid back to Dexron 3 (Castrol domestic multi-vehicle atf fluid) and now gear engagement is much improved.

He also said that GM syncromesh was an even better fluid for this transmission.

I have not tried that yet, I had changed to the dexron 3 prior to talking to him.

Ford fills these transmissions during the TSB with what fluid they have, which is Mercon V

So I thought I'd pass this along now that I have a few mile behind mine and a few questions have been raised about the transmission lately.

Your mileage may vary...

Interesting. But makes sense because I dont think Ford/Motorcraft make Dex3 anymore but MercV meets all of the Dex3 requirements so MercV is what Ford uses and recomends, including in the GT500 owners manual supplement. If Tremec engineered this tranny with Dex3, the use of MercV may explain the notchiness that a lot of us know so well. Even though the MercV meets the standards of Dex3, they are different fluids and will behave a bit different and may influence the feel of the shifts. I may be off base there but it makes sense to me.

I had the TSB performed 5 weeks ago and with daily driving the shifts are just starting to smooth up, I also had the SPP shifter installed at that time so that too is probably contributing to things breaking in and loosining up but I still feel as though this tranny should shift a bit smoother. so maybe a change to Dex3 would help.

Interesting. But makes sense because I dont think Ford/Motorcraft make Dex3 anymore but MercV meets all of the Dex3 requirements so MercV is what Ford uses and recomends, including in the GT500 owners manual supplement. If Tremec engineered this tranny with Dex3, the use of MercV may explain the notchiness that a lot of us know so well. Even though the MercV meets the standards of Dex3, they are different fluids and will behave a bit different and may influence the feel of the shifts. I may be off base there but it makes sense to me.

I had the TSB performed 5 weeks ago and with daily driving the shifts are just starting to smooth up, I also had the SPP shifter installed at that time so that too is probably contributing to things breaking in and loosining up but I still feel as though this tranny should shift a bit smoother. so maybe a change to Dex3 would help.

Dex3 is a GM spec ATF, MercV sorta covers it yes, with some reservations.

MercV is a synthetic fluid, Dex3 is not. Usually I'd say synthetic is the way to go, but in this case it my not be.

The synchronizers in the trans have is be able to mesh up, speed up/ slow down for the proper gear engagement.

Synthectic is actually too slick for the synchro's to mesh properly, quickly.

That is my take on it anyway.

This is interesting. I actually JUST picked up my Shelby from the dealership today after the TSB... I asked the tranny guy what fluid he put in there, and he said the Mercon. He mentioned that he called the hot line to inquire, and apparently he was told that they were interchangeable...

Thanks for the info!!

post-5223-1241238633_thumb.jpg I'm using the GM recommended fluid for the Z06, smooth shifts all the time and gear roll over noise reduced, even when it's hot. If you have had the TSB, there are gains to be made by switching to 8861800 fluid.

post-5223-1241238633_thumb.jpg

post-5223-1241238633_thumb.jpg I'm using the GM recommended fluid for the Z06, smooth shifts all the time and gear roll over noise reduced, even when it's hot. If you have had the TSB, there are gains to be made by switching to 8861800 fluid.

That is what the Tremec person told me also, about the GM syncromesh fluid.

I spoke with Tremec as well a while back, they told me to use Dexron 3 if I wanted smoother shifts. He confirmed that Dexron 3 is the oil they use on the initial fill.

I have noticed notchier shifting after using Mercon V.

Archived