TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1988 Shelby CSX-T On Florida CraigsList

There is a 1988 Shelby CSX-T on the Florida CraigsList. Car looks pretty good and the price is in the ballpark.

Steve

CSX-T #700

--------------------------------

Reply to: sale-tfyzh-1132621348@craigslist.org

Date: 2009-04-21, 8:38AM EDT

1988 Dodge Shadow shelby CSX-T turboUp for sale is a 1988 Dodge shadow Shelby CSX-T with around 85k orginal miles on it. These cars were orginaly produced for thrifty rental cars by shelby and they only produced 1000 of these. this is car # 700, all shelby items are intact and in good shape, this is a 2.2ltr turbo with a 5spd manual. the car has nice paint on it and all decals are in place. the rims have been powdercoated white and they come with all 4 centercaps and really nice newer tires. the engine has been gone through and runs great, nice powdercoated shelby valve cover and intake manifold. it has a new clutch and many other new parts. the interior is in great shape with no rips. this car come with some extra shadow specific parts that have been aquired. this is a very nice example of one of these cars, and can be driven anywhere. $4500.00 OBO Call ron at 904-282-7699

3n93kb3o5ZZZZZZZZZ94l16237d23105112cf.jpg

3n53k33o1ZZZZZZZZZ94l777b5832148c123d.jpg

nice looking one but i see the half faux wood wheel poking out there can anyone tell me/us if that is the way they were or is it that some of the leather has peeled off?

The 1988 CSX-T was the first Shelby to get the 1/2 leather steering wheel. Some of the Shelby Dakotas also received this steering wheel.

The CSX-T on CraigsList has the 1/2 leather wheel like it should but it appears the owner has put a padded aftermarket cover on the steering wheel.

I'll try to remember to start a new thread on Shelby steering wheels and which wheels were used on which vehicles.

Steve

sounds good steve thats one of the things ive never been able to figure out.

ps thanks for being so informative its great not to be in the shadows anymore (lol get it shadows hahaha aaahh hmmmm ok sorry)

Well I'm glad I can use the material floating around in the ol gray matter for something ;)

Although you didn't ask there is a story on how the 1/2 leather wheels got into some of the Dakota's.

Back in 1988 there was also going to be a retail version of the CSX along with the CSX-T. The retail 1988 CSX was going to be just like the 1987 CSX except for the color, it was going to be white/silver just like the Thrifty car.

So Shelby Automobiles placed an order for more than 1,000 of the 1/2 leather steering wheels from the manufacturer for both the Thrifty and the retail version CSX's. At somepoint after this steering wheel order was placed the retail version of the 1988 CSX was killed so Shelby Autos only used 1,000 or so of these 1/2 leather wheels although they told the manufacturer to produce alot more of them.

Fast forward to 1989. Shelby Automobiles goes to place an order for full leather wheels to be used on the Shelby Dakota and the 1989 CSX. Well the steering wheel manufacturer responds to this new order with something like "what about the remainder of these 1/2 leather wheels we still have here that you ordered but never accepted?" basically saying we aren't going to manufacture any new steering wheels for you until you pay us for these other ones.

So Shelby Autos adjusted the new order for full leather wheels by subtracting the amount of 1/2 leather wheels that were already produced. This is how some of the Dakotas received a 1/2 leather steering wheel although the sales brochure and window sticker show a full leather wheel.

I purchased a new Shelby Dakota in March of '89 and since my S/Dak was one of the first groups to be built it came with a 1/2 leather wheel. Although the 1/2 leather wheel looks good it was always irritating having your hand catch the edge of the leather where it met the wheel. Most newer cars today that use a 1/2 leather wheel now recess the leather portion so it is flush with the rest of the wheel.

Steve

cool so how many came with the 1/2 leather wheel?

As far as I know no records were kept on that. A number may be obtained one day by looking at purchase orders from Shelby to the steering wheel manufacturer.

Steve

PS- The steering wheel manufacturer basically went bankrupt and was purchased by TRW back in the early-mid 1990's. Basically airbag steering wheels did them in.

As far as I know no records were kept on that. A number may be obtained one day by looking at purchase orders from Shelby to the steering wheel manufacturer.

Steve

PS- The steering wheel manufacturer basically went bankrupt and was purchased by TRW back in the early-mid 1990's. Basically airbag steering wheels did them in.

i remember hearing that didnt TRW sell some shelby wheels when that happened?

i remember hearing that didnt TRW sell some shelby wheels when that happened?

Not that I know of. The reason I have this info is because I was in contact with the s/w manufacturer before they went under. I was hoping that they had some Shelby steering wheels left but no such luck.

Steve

Not that I know of. The reason I have this info is because I was in contact with the s/w manufacturer before they went under. I was hoping that they had some Shelby steering wheels left but no such luck.

Steve

When I first saw this topic and then the one that you bought at first I thought you were leading us on. It's kind of hard to believe that two of these showed up at the same time.

When I first saw this topic and then the one that you bought at first I thought you were leading us on. It's kind of hard to believe that two of these showed up at the same time.

Tony if you only knew what the majority of these cars that are still around look like. Not always pretty.

It indeed strange that two nice ones suddenly show up but then again I'm seeing alot of nice 1960's Shelby's on ebay lately. I can only guess the economy is forcing some folks to thin out their collection.

Steve

• 3 years later...

I have seen in pictures some CSX-T's came with the full leather 4 spoke steering wheel. Mine is the 3 spoke 1/2 wrapped and I like it a lot. It makes sense about the order and using what they had though I never knew the Dakota's had the 1/2 leather steering wheel. Interesting info.

Archived