TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is this normal, or a problem?

I had my car up on the lift the other day and noticed that the paint on the differential is peeling and rusting. My concern is that the rear end is over heating. The car went to SAI in Vegas and had the 725 HP upgrade which included changing the ring and pinion.

Are any of you SS guys seeing the same thing? I wouldn't worry so much, but that the diff cover is rusting and the axle tubes are not.

Let me know what you think.

Heres a picture

ShelbyRearDiff.jpg

Here's a picture of mine. Had it at Ford to replace an incorrectly installed rear differential oil seal.

Thanks for the picture. Definately looks different from mine.

I had my car up on the lift the other day and noticed that the paint on the differential is peeling and rusting. My concern is that the rear end is over heating. The car went to SAI in Vegas and had the 725 HP upgrade which included changing the ring and pinion.

Are any of you SS guys seeing the same thing? I wouldn't worry so much, but that the diff cover is rusting and the axle tubes are not.

Let me know what you think.

Heres a picture

ShelbyRearDiff.jpg

I would think that if the cover got hot enough to peel paint, the sticker on that cover would also be peeling off, if not gone by now.

R

Good point about the sticker, and good observation. I know that my whole rear end is rust. Maybe it's not heat, and just the start to a rusting process from humidity, like mine. I got my Shelby from Florida.

I agree about the sticker.

As far as humidity, what is that? :hysterical: Here in NM, we really don't have much in the way of humidity, maybe 6-11% on average.

On my 2002 F350 Power Stroke, the rear end would get so hot under load that eventually the oil spraying off of the ring gear burned the paint off of the cover in a nice neat line in line with the ring gear. The ring and pinion eventually failed.

I was just wondering if anyone else has the same rust issue with no adverse internal effects. If thats the case, a little sanding, some fresh paint and life is good. :shift:

This is common on all S197's. Grabber did a detailed DIY on how to seal the housing to prevent rust and whatnot at one point.

Every one I've ever been under has had this problem to some degree.

Ken

This is common on all S197's. Grabber did a detailed DIY on how to seal the housing to prevent rust and whatnot at one point.

Every one I've ever been under has had this problem to some degree.

Ken

Ken, thanks so much for the heads up! Fresh paint it is.

Tape up all your stickers make note of all paint marks & paint the rear-end & axle well your at it remove the drive shaft make note of all markings & cover stickers sand off the rust remark it don`t paint it black like Grabber did but clear coat it which will look like original. :D

Tape up all your stickers make note of all paint marks & paint the rear-end & axle well your at it remove the drive shaft make note of all markings & cover stickers sand off the rust remark it don`t paint it black like Grabber did but clear coat it which will look like original. :D

You must have been reading my mind. I will definately clear coat the bare items. Oh by the way, it was your car that inspired me to go with the 40th package after seeing it at Barrett Jackson last year. Congratulations on the purchase!

Archived