TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Can Anyone Share Experience with K&N's CAI?

dr56099

Hello,

I just installed the K&N (57-2571) CAI, it was an easy install but now I have a couple of questions.

1) Did you receive 53+ HP? Or atleast did it feel significantly stronger? I picked up about 1-1/2 to 2 MPG, but the power increase is subject. My throttle response has improved moderately.

2) Did you find the need to reprogramme the computer? I've read in a few forums, etc. where people have said you need to do the tune, ortherwise the system will run your motor lean and subject it to becoming a frag-grenade. On this same issue, I wrote to and called K&N, and they said absolutely not. The numbers (53+ HP) are correct based on several tests performed on stock GT500's, and a tune is NOT required and their CAI will NOT harm the engine.

What are your experiences?

Thank you sharing any info you may have.

A tune is always a good idea. If you are sucking in more air, you are risking running lean. I don't have any experience with the K&N, but I have a hard time believing a CAI without a tune will yield 53 hp. Most of the hp gains you see with any CAI are in the tune.

A tune is always a good idea. If you are sucking in more air, you are risking running lean. I don't have any experience with the K&N, but I have a hard time believing a CAI without a tune will yield 53 hp. Most of the hp gains you see with any CAI are in the tune.

Rick,

You are being way too kind here; his engine is at stake.

K&N is full of it! You have to retune these engines with a CAI.

Do a serach in this forum and read about the tests that have been done by VMP and others about this very subject. If you want to believe K&N against the verified test results of third party experts then it's your gamble. I wouldn't risk $15k on it myself...................

Hello,

I just installed the K&N (57-2571) CAI, it was an easy install but now I have a couple of questions.

1) Did you receive 53+ HP? Or atleast did it feel significantly stronger? I picked up about 1-1/2 to 2 MPG, but the power increase is subject. My throttle response has improved moderately.

2) Did you find the need to reprogramme the computer? I've read in a few forums, etc. where people have said you need to do the tune, ortherwise the system will run your motor lean and subject it to becoming a frag-grenade. On this same issue, I wrote to and called K&N, and they said absolutely not. The numbers (53+ HP) are correct based on several tests performed on stock GT500's, and a tune is NOT required and their CAI will NOT harm the engine.

I looked at the K&N system when it first came out. K&N steadfastly maintains that no tune is needed with their product. I did some extensive research and the majority all indicated that a tune WAS DEFINITELY needed with the considerable increase of air into the intake system ie. lean condition. Your conundrum is that you have already purchased the K&N filter system.

I would suggest that you return the K&N system for a refund and purchase a system (there are several) that has the tuner included with the package. I purchased the JLT system (most popular) two years ago and have had no negative issues. It includes the tuner to re-set your air/fuel mixture. SOTP feel was signifigant!! I would not risk using a K&N unless they come out with a specific tune for their system, which, to date, they have not. Without a tune you are risking your engine's life, unnecessarily. Hope this counsel helps.

BTW, Welcome to Team Shelby. Here is a quick answer. Take the K&N off until you are fully informed about the risk to the engine. Read the forums section on this site or jump to vmptuning.com and read about the dyno testing of the K&N system, in particular the air/fuel ratio is very lean. Justin is the owner of Vmp tuning and he was successful in making a tune for the K&N that keeps the air/fuel ratio at a safe level and adds even more HP.

VMP Test Results

With the JLT and C&L on the market... why would anyone buy a K&N?

K&N has been proven for years, over a wide range of vehicles, to be full of crap about their proposed gains. And nearly anything you do to these cars requires a tune. SO selling you a CAI without a tune option is stupid.

Ditch the crappy K&N, call up EVO and get a Stage 1 or Stage 2 setup and feel the power a well thought out setup unleashes.

From what I understand about Mass Air sensors, is that they sense the increase in air and can adjust fairly quickly. How come on 99.99% of non-supercharged vehicles one can put on a CAI without a tune, but not the shelby? I think that the car will have adapted and be fine, however, there is power and guaranteed safety in buying a programmer and tune to work with the K&N cai.

Justin at VMP tuning has a tune to work with the K&N; I would if I were you buy a programmer through him with a tune for the K&N preloaded for ya. You'll gain another 30-40 hp, and know that the car is safe.

A friend of mine has a K&N on his car, with a 2.6 pulley and catback exhaust. He had his tuned on a dyno, though, but the K&N looks and works fine.

First, the sensor on the GT500 is already almost pegged straight from the factory! So how is it going to adjust. If anyone has been paying attention to what the good tuners have been saying about these cars from day one, then they know this already.

Second, in about 30k miles, your friend will be pulling his s/c off to have it rebuilt because of all the crap that the K&N filter DIDN'T FILTER!

But hey, at least he had it tuned................. :rolleyes:

50 or so HP should definately be felt, and not just SOTP. Sure, its only about 10% more from the stock set-up, but it should be felt and not questionable.

After installing my JLT with tune, there was no question, throttle response was better and the SC screamed louder and my body was telling me to hang on!!

I would heed the word of others here with the experience and only use a CAI with a tune. The top tuners have logged a lot of dyno time and done a ton of research to get their tunes safe and reliable while squeezing out the power this motor can deliver, if the K&N was a quality piece for a package base, more tuners would be using that unit, but most dont.

Oh yea, welcome to TeamShelby!

Thanks to everyone for the outstanding responses, they are greatly appreciated. It seems I should definitely take a step back and at least get a tuner to see where everything is at in fuel/air mix. I had never heard that K&N had filter efficiency issues, that certainly has me concerned. It seems if one did keep the K&N design, you would want to ditch the filter for another brand.

One thing that got me with K&N is that it just doesn't seem to add much HP (atleast not 50HP+, maybe half) although, throttle response and MPG has "no doubt" taken a turn to plus side. Given the warnings of possibly adding iron to the soil via my block, further testing will have to be put on hold.

Anyway, thanks again for all the responses, but by all means if someone has even more ideas, I'm all ears.

Thanks to everyone for the outstanding responses, they are greatly appreciated. It seems I should definitely take a step back and at least get a tuner to see where everything is at in fuel/air mix. I had never heard that K&N had filter efficiency issues, that certainly has me concerned. It seems if one did keep the K&N design, you would want to ditch the filter for another brand.

One thing that got me with K&N is that it just doesn't seem to add much HP (atleast not 50HP+, maybe half) although, throttle response and MPG has "no doubt" taken a turn to plus side. Given the warnings of possibly adding iron to the soil via my block, further testing will have to be put on hold.

Anyway, thanks again for all the responses, but by all means if someone has even more ideas, I'm all ears.

To be honest, I've yet to see ANY BRAND CAI that gave more than 25rwhp gains.

The gains we see on our cars when we do a CAI is honestly from the tune mostly.

I have been through Corvette's, several F-bodies, a Typhoon, Magnum SRT8 and now the Shelby... not one got more than 24rwhp from a CAI-only. Most gained more than that from just a tune, and combined CAI + tune, you should be seeing a good 50rwhp gain.

I don't think any brand aside from K&N offers a CAI without a tune. Even the FRPP one comes with a tune. Do not do anything more invasive than a cat-back on a Shelby without a proper tune.

Hello,

I installed my K&N about two months ago without a tune. I did not have the car dynoed so I don't know if I got the advertised HP. It did not feel 53HP stronger but there is a long onramp near my home that I used to hit it in third and be running around 85 with I merged. Now with the K&N and Flowmasters installed at the same time I am hitting 100 MPH when I merge. (Please don't try this at home because it is dangerious)

Until you posted this and I saw the responses I was thinking "NO TUNE". When I read this I first went to VMP Tuning site and ordered a tuner with their K&N tune and then entered this response.

It sounds like you should do the same.

Hello,

I put a K&N on my GT500 about a year ago without a tune. Found no noticable h/p gain. Matter of fact with the factory unit my boost runs 7-8 p.s.i. in winter months in AZ. With the K&N same time of year only can get about 4-5 p.s.i. boost. I put the factory unit back on, and boost was back up to 7-8 p.s.i. That's whats on my car now, the factory unit until I can afford to by a JLT stage 1 unit. Anyone want to buy a K&N unit?? Looks good, like brand new.

Steve

Bullhead City, AZ.

[quote name= I was thinking "NO TUNE". When I read this I first went to VMP Tuning site and ordered a tuner with their K&N tune

Hello Ron,

In regards to the on-ramp run you made, was that before or after you performed the tune process? I'm thinking you achieved the 100mph after only the CAI & Exhaust. What are your experiences after adding the tune on top of the other two?

Thanks for the info! I'm currently sizing up some of the available tuners.

Don

[quote name= I was thinking "NO TUNE". When I read this I first went to VMP Tuning site and ordered a tuner with their K&N tune

Hello Ron,

In regards to the on-ramp run you made, was that before or after you performed the tune process? I'm thinking you achieved the 100mph after only the CAI & Exhaust. What are your experiences after adding the tune on top of the other two?

Thanks for the info! I'm currently sizing up some of the available tuners.

Don

Don, you are right the ramp run was without tune. It really did not feel that much different than the 85 to 90 mph run but the extra power was there based on the speedo reading. I just ordered the tuner today for something over $450 so I don't know what difference it will make at this point. The K&N CAI and Flowmasters plus the installation of the Flowmasters was around $750 so we are in four figures at this point.

This car is not an economy car but you already knew that.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...
Don, you are right the ramp run was without tune. It really did not feel that much different than the 85 to 90 mph run but the extra power was there based on the speedo reading. I just ordered the tuner today for something over $450 so I don't know what difference it will make at this point. The K&N CAI and Flowmasters plus the installation of the Flowmasters was around $750 so we are in four figures at this point.

This car is not an economy car but you already knew that.

Ron

I received the VMP tune this week. I have not done the ramp run again but I can feel a positive difference in power.

I put the K&N CAI on with the VMP Stage 1 tune and the difference was noticeable. Primarily in the lower end of the curve, between 2500-4000 rpm. I really pulls much stronger down there now. Being on a budget I appreciated the $150ish I saved by going K&N...

And I'd reinforce the point of NOT doing the CAI without a tune.

• 4 weeks later...

I have also read that when installing a CAI system on our cars we should seriously consider upgrading the axle back exhaust system to allow for increased airflow out. More air in means that more air will need to be exhausted.

Robert

Archived