TEAM SHELBY FORUM

AmyB Shows More Love For The Shelby Dodge Enthusiasts

Just want to thank AmyB for her continued support in regards to the Shelby Dodge enthusiasts. Recently I came across a beautiful, low mileage 1988 Shelby CSX-T for sale. I explained to Amy that this was the one Shelby Automobiles built car that neither Carroll nor SAI had in their collection and something that she should consider looking at. Within a minute of showing Amy some pics/details of the CSX-T she said to go buy it. Well you don't have to tell me twice so the next day I finalized the purchase of one 1988 Shelby CSX-T.

For the folks who are wondering what a Shelby CSX-T is let me give you a quick background. The CSX-T was a car produced by Shelby Automobiles in 1988 specifically for the Thrifty Rent A Car Corporation, hence the letter T in the name. Shelby Automobiles produced one thousand of these cars, which started life as a Dodge Shadow from Chrysler's assembly line. Unlike previous Shelby's the drivetrain on the CSX-T remained stock as it came from Chrysler. Thrifty Rental requested this so that when it came time to sell these cars after rental duty there would be a much longer Chrysler backed warranty, which would be transferred to the retail buyer. Back in 1988 Chrysler offered a 7 year 70,000 mile warranty where Shelby Automobiles only offered a 2 year 24,000 mile warranty. Also Thrifty could purchase the cars for less since there were no drivetrain mods performed by Shelby.

The car arrived last week at the Vegas facility without a scratch. Enclosed car carriers are the greatest.

I'm not sure if the CSX-T can be squeezed into the Shelby Museum right now or if we will have to wait on rotating it in with the other Shelby Dodges. Maybe we should put a MFG plate on it and have Amy make one of her famous runs to SoCal. The Highway Patrol will never suspect Amy of being behind the wheel of a Dodge :peelout:

Below are a few pics of the CSX-T on the car carrier. I would also like to thank Bud from SAI for helping out on this. I kind of surprised him one Monday morning with this purchase and asked for him to handle the transportation details. Thanks Bud although I'm sure you're still trying to figure out why you have this white Dodge sitting in the back warehouse.

And again a big thank you to Amy Boylan for preserving another piece of Shelby history.

Steve

CSXT1.jpg

CSXT2.jpg

CSXT1.jpg

CSXT2.jpg

It came from a long time Shelby Dodge enthusiast who took great care of it thru the years. Some folks may have seen it before at the SDAC conventions where I believe it received several car show trophies.

Steve

Great story Steve, nice find! It's good to see these cars being preserved and starting to get a little bit of the attention they deserve.

Nice clean car Steve any idea how many may be left out of the 1,000?

Like any car its hard to tell how many are left but if I had to guess I'd take a stab at less than 400. But that doesn't mean there are 400 running CSX-T's out there. Most of the ones left are what most folks would call a parts car. I wouldn't be surprised if there were less than 100 of these currently registered/driven.

These were economy cars assembled with not the highest quality parts. Also these were the years that the basecoat/clearcoat paint jobs were being introduced with white paint being one of the worst for staying on the car. That stuff peeled off in chunks.

This is why this car was such a good buy. It would have cost a lot more money to restore one of these cars than what SAI paid for this one. It was a good buy.

One of the reasons I'm happy that AmyB purchased the car is because back then Carroll made sure to keep at least one of each car he built, usually car #001, but because these were for Thrifty Rental Corporation the president of Thrifty received car #001 so there was always a piece of Shelby history missing from the Shelby/SAI collection.

Steve

It came from a long time Shelby Dodge enthusiast who took great care of it thru the years. Some folks may have seen it before at the SDAC conventions where I believe it received several car show trophies.

Steve

That car with the polished wheels certainly does look familiar to me. Glad to hear it has found a new home where it will be cared for as well as the previous owner did.

Hi all!!!!!!!

Yup, Steve "surprised" me one day and asked me to handle this little transaction. At first I was a little leary, especially a vehicle coming from the mid-west ( I am from Ohio and I know the winters there :)). So I aksed the owner for some pictures of the car. I must say that I was very impressed with the condition of the vehicle. After seeing the pictures, I then went on to get everything handled. Then, the car shows up. HOLY CRAP!!!!!!! This car is really sweet and really CLEAN!!!!!!! I will try and post some pictures later on.

Bud

ps. Before coming to Shelby 3 years ago, I worked for Dodge for 15 years. So I still got some MOPAR running through my veins :)

suspension, grill, wheels, and body kit as far as i can remember thats it for the T.

oh yeah and one had a sunroof (for thriftys pres. daughter)

Well as far as I know that hasn't been verified yet. In fact I've never been able to verify that the Thrifty President daughter ever received a CSX-T, at least directly from SAI.

This is one of the "legends" that has been out there for years but I've never been able to document it. If anyone has solid info on it please let us know.

Steve

It looks brand new.

What makes this a Shelby, as in what was modified other than the obvious steering wheel, floor mats, and dash plaque?

Ken

There were two major areas of change performed on the Shelby CSX-T. The first was mechanical and the second was cosmetic.

The mechanical changes were adding rear wheel disc brakes, upgraded performance suspension featuring Monroe Formula GP struts/shocks, LeMans directional wheels from the CS Wheel company, Goodyear Gatorback tires and a Shelby valve cover on the engine.

The Cosmetic changes were a unique Shelby designed front grille, a ground effects kit including F&R spoilers, Shelby exterior decals, faux leather Shelby steering wheel w/ CS horn button, Shelby floor mats, Shelby boost gauge, door sill & glove box plaques, and a numbered dash plaque.

There were no engine, turbo, computer changes as to keep the drivetrain all Chrysler stock for the 7/70 warranty.

Steve

Will it be at the museum this summer???? I want to get some pictures.

Tony

Not sure yet when it will be rotated into the museum. SAI/Carroll have about 30 Chrysler cars in total so its hard to say exactly when it will be on display but since there is currently no Dodge CSX cars on display the odds are it will make it in there soon.

I'll be sure to post when it happens.

Steve

Late to the thread but this is the perfect place for that car to end up B) Nice work Steve. I had kinda wondered why you spend so much time on various cars for sale sites :poke:

Alan

Late to the thread but this is the perfect place for that car to end up B) Nice work Steve. I had kinda wondered why you spend so much time on various cars for sale sites :poke:

Alan

Thanks Alan. And when are you going to decide about that low mileage Whittier car you came across awhile back? Have you been able to reconnect with the seller? If it becomes available and you decide to pass on it give me a call. I have a great idea for it that should please all the S/D enthusiasts.

Steve

Thanks Alan. And when are you going to decide about that low mileage Whittier car you came across awhile back? Have you been able to reconnect with the seller? If it becomes available and you decide to pass on it give me a call. I have a great idea for it that should please all the S/D enthusiasts.

Steve

whats that buy it for me and ill be sure to share pics every week :shift:

I worked at a Dodge dealership from '87 to '97, and we had a couple of the CSX-T's that we bought from a closed Chrysler auction, they were fun little cars. Now I'm a partner in a Thrifty Car Rental franchise - I really should have one of those sitting in our showroom.......

I worked at a Dodge dealership from '87 to '97, and we had a couple of the CSX-T's that we bought from a closed Chrysler auction, they were fun little cars. Now I'm a partner in a Thrifty Car Rental franchise - I really should have one of those sitting in our showroom.......

There is/was another nice one on Craigslist.

Steve

• 6 months later...

I'm doing a little catching up with stuff. When I was at the Barrett Jackson auction in October I stopped up at World Headquarters and got a sneak peak (well, actually a photo op). This is really a very nice little car, nothing would have to be done to it to drive it into the museum. What a catch!

DSC_5226.jpg

DSC_5227.jpg

DSC_5236.jpg

DSC_5245.jpg

DSC_5232.jpg

DSC_5230.jpg

DSC_5231.jpg

DSC_5233.jpg

DSC_5237.jpg

DSC_5238.jpg

Thanks for the pics Tony. I had forgot to post more of them.

This also reminds me to post some pics of the newest addition to the Shelby Dodge collection. If you think the above CSX-T looks good wait until you see the pics of the newest addition. I'll start a new thread sometime this week about it.

Steve

Nice car!..... One of my favorites....

Tim have you checked out a book titled "Fast Days" by Joel Jackson? He worked at the Santa Fe Springs Chrysler Shelby Center and put some of his experiences into a book. The book could be better but it has the most info ever printed on the CSX-T race cars. In fact I think it's the largest chapter in the book with some interesting stuff on the race cars that I didn't know about.

Steve

Archived