TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Post TSB

My car is back from the TSB and clutch and shifting are fine. Clutch feels somewhat different, maybe a little softer. The Tech seems to have done a good job. There is now another problem. It must be related to the work that was done.

When the car is warm there is a noise in the rearend when turning either left or right. A howl or whine noise. I took it back to the dealer and he said it is the clutch pack in the differential. He said they have replaced them on the Mustgang GT. I asked if it was the same 8.8 pumpkin in both the GT and GT500, He said they were the same. They are ordering parts and will fix it. Did he not line up the driveline in the same position, or would that be a problem? Have any others had this problem? Thanks for info. I posted a few minutes ago without a topic title. I hope this is not a repeat.

That howling from the differential seems to be the norm for these cars. Be advised though that the Traction-Lock clutch packs for the GT500 are not the same as the ones on the Mustang GT. The packs on the GT500 are made of carbon fiber for higher torque applications; checkout the link for the correct differential re-build kit for the GT500. Mine does this too - dealer poured a bottle of friction modifier in per the Mustang GT TSB, but the noise returned. I'm okay with it for now, I don't believe it's doing any damage. I plan on replacing the differential with a Detroit True-Trac when I have 3.73 gears installed.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_...rtKeyField=6942

That howling from the differential seems to be the norm for these cars. Be advised though that the Traction-Lock clutch packs for the GT500 are not the same as the ones on the Mustang GT. The packs on the GT500 are made of carbon fiber for higher torque applications; checkout the link for the correct differential re-build kit for the GT500. Mine does this too - dealer poured a bottle of friction modifier in per the Mustang GT TSB, but the noise returned. I'm okay with it for now, I don't believe it's doing any damage. I plan on replacing the differential with a Detroit True-Trac when I have 3.73 gears installed.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_...rtKeyField=6942

Thanks for the part number. I am going to call the dealer to be sure they order the correct part. Previous to the TSB I drove the car for 2700 miles and never had a peep of a noise like this. It has to be related.

Thanks for the part number. I am going to call the dealer to be sure they order the correct part. Previous to the TSB I drove the car for 2700 miles and never had a peep of a noise like this. It has to be related.

IMO, it is not related. I noticed the same noise before and after the tranny TSB.

My car is back from the TSB and clutch and shifting are fine. Clutch feels somewhat different, maybe a little softer. The Tech seems to have done a good job. There is now another problem. It must be related to the work that was done.

When the car is warm there is a noise in the rearend when turning either left or right. A howl or whine noise. I took it back to the dealer and he said it is the clutch pack in the differential. He said they have replaced them on the Mustgang GT. I asked if it was the same 8.8 pumpkin in both the GT and GT500, He said they were the same. They are ordering parts and will fix it. Did he not line up the driveline in the same position, or would that be a problem? Have any others had this problem? Thanks for info. I posted a few minutes ago without a topic title. I hope this is not a repeat.

Warning, the differential clutch packs in the GT500 are not the same as a Mustang GT.

The GT500 used Carbon clutch discs The Mustang GT does not.

I've has this problem also and had my rear axle assembly replaced twice. Ford would not let the dealer just replace the clutch packs they wanted the complete axle assembly replaced, and the defective axles sent back to them.

Your Ford dealer really needs to call Ford first before replacing just the clutch packs.

I know the parts book (computer) might not show a different part number for the GT500 clutch packs but they are different.

The GT500 clutch pack are even sold in the Ford Racing catalog and it states " as used in 2003-2009 SVT Mustangs.

Warning, the differential clutch packs in the GT500 are not the same as a Mustang GT.

The GT500 used Carbon clutch discs The Mustang GT does not.

I've has this problem also and had my rear axle assembly replaced twice. Ford would not let the dealer just replace the clutch packs they wanted the complete axle assembly replaced, and the defective axles sent back to them.

Your Ford dealer really needs to call Ford first before replacing just the clutch packs.

I know the parts book (computer) might not show a different part number for the GT500 clutch packs but they are different.

The GT500 clutch pack are even sold in the Ford Racing catalog and it states " as used in 2003-2009 SVT Mustangs.

My Ford dealer wants to use a Motorcraft parts number for the clutch pack. He says warranty does not cover a part from Ford Racing. I told him the number M-4700-C is the correct carbon fiber clutch pack that comes in the Shelby. Could they be the same carbon disc clutch plates? I am not sure what to think.

I did not know there had previously been discussion on this topic. My differential did not howl until right after the TSB. To my thinking normal was when it did not howl. Have others just learned to accept the howl? Does it get worse with time and eventually howl in a straight line? I cannot imagine someone buying a car with this howl. Thanks for any info. I read the posting, but still confused.

I did not know there had previously been discussion on this topic. My differential did not howl until right after the TSB. To my thinking normal was when it did not howl. Have others just learned to accept the howl? Does it get worse with time and eventually howl in a straight line? I cannot imagine someone buying a car with this howl. Thanks for any info. I read the posting, but still confused.

I had the howl before and after the TSB. Even had the axle replaced before the TSB. The howl came back after the axle replacement and TSB. As Grabber's link said, this is due to the carbon fiber design. Checked with my dealer 2 week ago. Gotta live with it. Again this has nothing to do with the TSB. Somewhere in the forum I remember someone saying if you do a few burn outs, the carbon fiber clutch pack glazing will get removed and problem solved.

You guys know that the only time the traction-loc clutches come into play, is if you are turning or doing a burn out which you would not hear anything but the engine anyway.If your hearing a howling noise going straight down the road your looking at a gear howl issue. Mine had a howl on decell, But after the 3.73 install it's nice and quiet.

My understanding is that the CF clutch pack howl is normal with low speed turning but should not exist in a straight line. If you hear the same thing in a straight line with normal driving you should have it diagnosed (gear noise, etc.) It can sound more pronounced when the diff is hot. I just got done installing the FRPP CAI w/ Tune so you can imagine how much hotter my diff is after my test run :peelout: Definately heard it more after that but normal driving around town it is not as pronounced.

My Ford dealer wants to use a Motorcraft parts number for the clutch pack. He says warranty does not cover a part from Ford Racing. I told him the number M-4700-C is the correct carbon fiber clutch pack that comes in the Shelby. Could they be the same carbon disc clutch plates? I am not sure what to think.

I didn't think your dealer would replace the cluch packs with the Ford Racing ones. Mine only howls when making slow hard turns; never while driving straight.

I first noticed something might be wrong when I could hear a low moan when turning left or right at slow speeds such as in a parking lot. It little by little started to get louder. I took it in to the dealer and the technician confirmed it was going bad he said he could replace the clutch packs right then. I told him I didn't think the Mustang GT clutch packs were the same as the GT500 and told him about the part number in the Ford Racing catalog that said it was used on 03-09 SVT Mustangs. The tech could not find any reference in the parts listing for the GT500 differential clutch packs so he called Ford and they confirmed that they were different. Ford told him to take the differential apart and report back to them what he found, he did and Ford told him to order a complete axle assembly. The Tech told them he could just order the Ford Racing Clutch pack assembly and they said no, order the complete axle assembly.

While the axle was on order I drove it on vacation about 1,000 miles. About after 500 miles on vacation it the axle started to howl even in a straight line.

After the new axle was installed I only drove it about 200 miles and it had a really annoying whine between 65-75 mph. I took it back to Ford and the Tech ordered another axle and it has been OK so far after about 2,500 miles.

This differential clutch pack problem is a known problem by Ford for both the GT500 and the Mustang GT.

Archived